MSF Scooter School

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

MSF Scooter School

Post by ericalm »

Has anyone actually taken the MSF scooter class?
The first I'd heard of it was this thread.

When I called the MSF hotline a year ago there was no such thing (I asked). Now I'm going to be taking the class with Mrs. Ericalm, who I'm sure would prefer a scooter-specific class.
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

http://www.msf-usa.org/scooterschool.cfm

No classes in your area though. And I didn't realize this until just looking at the info, but taking the class doesn't get you a DMV waiver for licensure. So take the regular class and see if you can use your scooters.

Jody
big calm

Post by big calm »

I took the MSF course in Dallas on a Vino classic. I aced it. Everyone in the course passed that weekend but I was the only one that got 100%. Then again I was the only one on a scooter.
northgardener

Scooter MSF

Post by northgardener »

I took the regular MSF course in Orlando. On their website, they mentioned they also offer scooters for the class, so I requested one. Interestingly, the other three people taking the class were young but experienced motorcycle riders. I had never ridden a motorcycle before, and was also the only one to pass the course, both written and riding test, with 100%. Several MSF approved groups offered scooters to use in the testing, but none I saw offered only a course for scooters. I will say that it didn't make any difference at all that the others were riding motorcycles. i just had the easier time of it, since I didn't have to bother with shifting.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The company which offers the course in this area will allow me to ride my scoot for that portion. I'm not even concerned about passing, really.

It's unfortunate that you can't get a DMV waiver from Scooter School. Maybe they need to add a "class S" to licenses...
RisingSunset

Post by RisingSunset »

I'd take it if they offered it in my area.
buddylover

just completed MSF course

Post by buddylover »

Mrs. Buddylover just passed the MSF test yesterday on her Buddy 125. I think it was the first Buddy anyone there had seen. There was one other scooter in the class, an Aprilia 250. Everyone passed, and the instructor made accomodations for the scooters when talking about using the clutch, etc. It was a great experience, and very worthwhile for the education about using two-wheeled vehicles.