Swapping out main jet

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stilts

Swapping out main jet

Post by Stilts »

So over in this thread, misterbrackets mentioned the following:
The most cost effective upgrade is probably just getting a 92 main jet and doing nothing else.
The Scottish genes in me are very excited about such a ridiculously cheap...er...frugal modification upgrade and I'd like to give it a go. I've got the 92 main jet. Aside from the obvious swap in the carb, what else needs to be done, if anything?
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

Yeah, just change the main jet.... and while you're in there make sure there's no junk floating around in the carb bowl. Also, may as well check the idle jet to be sure it's perfectly clear by holding it up to a light and looking through. (It's probably fine if your Stella has been starting and idling ok) Don't forget to shut off the fuel when you take the carb off .... doh!

After changing the main jet, go for a ride :) You don't need to do anything else. Especially if you're happy with how it rides. Do you still have the stock exhaust on it? I kept mine as long as I could but after getting it welded/repaired twice, I got a new one --- and so began my slow decent into endless tinkering...... which is fun ..... just not 'cost effective'.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

misterbrackets wrote:Yeah, just change the main jet.... and while you're in there make sure there's no junk floating around in the carb bowl. Also, may as well check the idle jet to be sure it's perfectly clear by holding it up to a light and looking through. (It's probably fine if your Stella has been starting and idling ok) Don't forget to shut off the fuel when you take the carb off .... doh!

After changing the main jet, go for a ride :) You don't need to do anything else. Especially if you're happy with how it rides. Do you still have the stock exhaust on it? I kept mine as long as I could but after getting it welded/repaired twice, I got a new one --- and so began my slow decent into endless tinkering...... which is fun ..... just not 'cost effective'.
Sounds perfect, thank you! And yes, still stock exhaust. I replaced the original one a few months ago due to a crack in the mounting plate and the new one seems to be developing the same problem in the exact same spot! It's under warranty until March 2015 so I'll probably get one more OEM exhaust before getting a new pipe. I'm glad I waited because there are actual choices now.

Thanks again!