Stella 4T - electrical troubles

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MichaelMeg

Stella 4T - electrical troubles

Post by MichaelMeg »

My Stella 4T has a series of electrical troubles that appeared in this order:

two years ago - engine kill switch stopped working (switch itself is fine, tested with an ohm meter).

one year ago - electric start switch is reluctant (have to push it several times to get start to crank) - I use kick starter.

now - battery not charging, and (weirdly) the trickle charger goes right to "float" unless I remove battery... then it charges. When engine is running, voltage across battery terminals is 12.7 regardless of revs.

now - after an hour of running, the annoying beeper for turn signals slows down to a long sad sort-of beep.

Once running, the bike runs fine.

(and: I can't find any of the components like fuse or regulator because I don't know where anything is)

Any idea where I might start?

(thanks)

-- Michael
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

That long drawn out beep from your turn signals --- is that with the engine off? But it's fine when it's running? How old is your battery?
MichaelMeg

Post by MichaelMeg »

It's very strange... the long drawn-out beep in when the scooter is running (at traffic speed), after having been ridden for maybe 30 minutes.

The battery is new, I replaced it a couple of weeks ago.

Good news! I found all the electrical components behind the battery bracket.

Now I need to decipher the testing instructions in the manual.
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but it sounds like the battery is slowly losing its charge as you're riding. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to electrics ..... but based on my own electrical issues, I would guess the stator or the regulator. There are ways to test those with a multimeter. Maybe do a search on youtube for motorcycle troubleshooting videos on those components. Hopefully someone else has some input.....