Stella Front Brake Calipers

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CountryJustice

Stella Front Brake Calipers

Post by CountryJustice »

Got a multi-pronged question here. I'm getting more and more confident doing my own work on my bike, but there are some things that are still foreign to me, like hydraulic brakes. My calipers need a rebuild (bad seals), and I'm wondering if this is manageable to someone who isn't afraid to turn some screws but has never worked on brakes?

Also, I know I'd need to remove the front shock to gain access to everything. Should I anticipate needing any special tools before I dive in? That, honestly, could be the biggest breaking point between DIY and jobbing it out. I'm fine buying parts and supplies, but new tools aren't really in the budget.

Anything else I need to consider? Tips for flushing/bleeding brake lines?
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

I dont think you have to remove the fender to get the caliper away from its mounts..
Take off the front wheel.. go at it from that side.. You'll have to take off the hub MAYBE... maybe not.... its been 3 years since Ive done it..
BUT you do need a special wrench to remove the forks as that's the only way to get the fender off... And that's a job with a capitol Jay.
take off the wheel and look there.. you should be able to get that caliper off and hang by it's hose with the fender in place..
good luck.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
CountryJustice

Post by CountryJustice »

You're right, I was way over-thinking it. The caliper is completely exposed and should come off the moun pretty easily and I should only really need to remove the wheel, which is easy enough.

Follow-up: In researching re-build/seal kits, there are a bunch of different sizes: 30x12, 27x17, etc. I can't find anything in the Stella owner manual or service manual that references this. Anyone know what I should be looking for?