Stella Tips and Tricks

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Stella Tips and Tricks

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Idea borrowed from Modern Vespa's Not So Modern subforum, where I hang out alot. http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic109742

Post any tips or tricks you have for working on the Stella 2T, 4T or Auto.

Mine are:

3/8" OD x 1/4" ID vinyl tubing works well for the rear cowl peg buffers. A little stiffer than the stock rubber tubing buffers, so it's easier to use the whole roll to push it on, then cut to size. Seems tougher then the rubber tubing, too.

Silicone spray lubricant, silicone oil, silicone grease, and dielectric grease all "rehydrate" old, dry rubber parts and o-rings. Works especially well on old, compacted o-rings or rubber gaskets that aren't sealing, it will cause them to swell. Also work great for water proofing electrical stuff, the spary lubricant and oil will penetrate down wire and insulation, while grease water proofs connectors and inside switches.
Attachments
Who hates carrying more oil than your engine holds? That quart takes up valuable glovebox space. 8oz 2T oil bottle recycled after making premix for the weedwacker.
Who hates carrying more oil than your engine holds? That quart takes up valuable glovebox space. 8oz 2T oil bottle recycled after making premix for the weedwacker.
DSCN0890(2).jpg (152.76 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
Budget carb cleaner. Spray on, let it soak in and soften the crud, use aerosol carb cleaner to finish. (Red is Marvel Mystery oil, clear is Acetone, not pictured is Denatured Alcohol and Mineral Spirits). Good for general cleaning, too.
Budget carb cleaner. Spray on, let it soak in and soften the crud, use aerosol carb cleaner to finish. (Red is Marvel Mystery oil, clear is Acetone, not pictured is Denatured Alcohol and Mineral Spirits). Good for general cleaning, too.
DSCN0889(2).jpg (87.83 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
Pretty old trick, piece of 2x4 under the crankcase to change the rear tire. While on the centerstand, this one just fits under the rear shock mount when the front tire touches the ground.
Pretty old trick, piece of 2x4 under the crankcase to change the rear tire. While on the centerstand, this one just fits under the rear shock mount when the front tire touches the ground.
DSCN0888(2).jpg (127.72 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
Last edited by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
caffeine65

Post by caffeine65 »

Someone else on this forum came up with this one.

Built-in helmet lock!
Open seat. Hook helmet ring on cowl lever. Close & lock seat. Bob's your uncle!

EDIT - just re-read the OP where it said "…for working on…" Oh well sorry. Still a neat trick. :oops:
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

caffeine65 wrote:EDIT - just re-read the OP where it said "…for working on…" Oh well sorry. Still a neat trick. :oops:
Don't worry about it. As long as it's a Stella related tip or trick.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:
caffeine65 wrote:EDIT - just re-read the OP where it said "…for working on…" Oh well sorry. Still a neat trick. :oops:
Don't worry about it. As long as it's a Stella related tip or trick.
For this, be careful on which way your helmet visor faces (if you have one). It might hurt the cowl :(

(not that I would know or anything....)
CountryJustice

Post by CountryJustice »

To refill after gearbox oil changes, I use a squeezy condiment bottle--the kind with the pointy tip. Found it at my local supermarket with the kitchen utensils for $1. Way faster/easier than messing with a syringe, which I see a lot of people doing.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

CountryJustice wrote:To refill after gearbox oil changes, I use a squeezy condiment bottle--the kind with the pointy tip. Found it at my local supermarket with the kitchen utensils for $1. Way faster/easier than messing with a syringe, which I see a lot of people doing.
+1

get a spare clutch inner and a cable clamp.. grease it up and coil it into a baggie. keep it in your glove box for roadside fix... no more riding home clutchless!!!
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
CountryJustice

Post by CountryJustice »

All the stuff I have in my tool bag, I never thought of that one. I like it!

Speaking of toolbag, I found a canvas men's toiletries travel bag at Target for something like $5. All my essential spanners, sockets, hexes, and screwdrivers fit with plenty of room to spare, and the whole bag fits up right in the glovebox. Awesome, cheap way to stay organized and prepared for any situation.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Why did I forget this one:

MAGNETS. Your glovebox is metal. Use it!

I have an air pressure gauge with a magnet, my insurance card/registration are in a bag with a small magnet to keep them out of the way and hidden unless I need them...
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jimmbomb wrote:
CountryJustice wrote:To refill after gearbox oil changes, I use a squeezy condiment bottle--the kind with the pointy tip. Found it at my local supermarket with the kitchen utensils for $1. Way faster/easier than messing with a syringe, which I see a lot of people doing.
+1

get a spare clutch inner and a cable clamp.. grease it up and coil it into a baggie. keep it in your glove box for roadside fix... no more riding home clutchless!!!
If it's not greased shove it into your bottle of 2T oil before installing
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Screw Jack

I made a jack for the Stella today. I wanted something to replace the bulky piece of 2x4 I had been using and figured making a jack was only a little more work than a stand. Breaks down nicely to fit into a tool kit. Directions on how to make here: http://modernvespa.com/forum/post1918223#1918223
Attachments
IMG_20141219_213615[1]2.jpg
IMG_20141219_213615[1]2.jpg (186.17 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
srbbnd

Re: Screw Jack

Post by srbbnd »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:I made a jack for the Stella today. I wanted something to replace the bulky piece of 2x4 I had been using and figured making a jack was only a little more work than a stand. Breaks down nicely to fit into a tool kit. Directions on how to make here: http://modernvespa.com/forum/post1918223#1918223
Awesome, thanks man.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

I use a paint brush (2" ) to brush out the dirt and grit that always seems to accumulates along the floorboard rails. :roll:
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

I use a paint brush (2" ) to brush out the dirt and grit that always seems to accumulates along the floorboard rails. :roll:
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

I don't know if everybody knows, but Hiflo filter #HF167 is an equivalent to the OEM filter for the 4T and Auto. I've been using them since the first oil change.

http://www.hiflofiltro.com/catalogue/filter/HF167
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Side markers/auxiliary turn signals

These are called 3/4" button/clearance/side marker lights, they're made for trailers and found at auto parts stores or stores that have a large selection of trailer parts like farm stores. Super easy to install as bar ends, cut or drill (using a spade or corkscrew bit) a 3/4" hole into the ends of your grips, run a length of wire down the tubes, splice the leads to the wire, and simply pop the lights into the holes. You can either splice the lights into a DC source like the horn wire (I spliced into the parking lamp wire since I switched it to DC) for side marker lights, or splice each respective light into the turn signal wires for auxiliary turn signals. Although they are really bright and have good rear and side visibility, they have poor front visibility since the handlebars sweep back, so I wouldn't use them as the sole turn signals.
Two of them could light up quite a bit of my garage for how small they are.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Has anyone put effect lighting inside the cowels to give a downward glow? I was thinking on the 4T with the side grills a blue or green would look...interesting.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Inside the cowls... interesting... I was thinking of doing some ground lighting for visibility purposes, using LED strips under the floorboard, but mounting a fixture under the cowls sure sounds easier to wire, and opens up a myriad of possibilities...
Sach

Post by Sach »

Yea...red lighting under my cowls...I dig it.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I went to Pep Boys and Auto Zone today just to see what they had, there are a number of different LED accessory lights available: strips, bars, blinking/flashing lights. Lots of possibilities.
Sach

Post by Sach »

Yea I am thinking of it more and more. Under cowls and front fender....

I have a 2005 2t Black Stella. Would I need to convert anything to add something like that?
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

As long as the lights are 12v, you are OK.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

yeah, put them inside and get the ground effect and a glow from the cowel slots too...give the machine an eerie reactor/alien glow.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Ground effect! Just like aircraft and race cars!
Love it!
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

A clutch holder tool works as a flywheel holder for the Stella 4T
Attachments
IMG_20150424_185508[1]2.jpg
IMG_20150424_185508[1]2.jpg (150.58 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

A 1/2x1/8" rare earth magnet fits into the small recess on the inside of the oil strainer cap. Rough up the magnet and cap, and use epoxy to hold the magnet. Even if the magnet comes loose, the strainer will keep it from being sucked up by the oil pump and the spring will keep it from traveling back into the sump. Great for a 4T to keep all the transmission and clutch filings out of the oil.
Attachments
IMG_20150426_000229[1]2.jpg
IMG_20150426_000229[1]2.jpg (197.39 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

any one tell me if there are direct turn signal bulb swop for LEDs? (with balast/resistor built in)