Which mod or accessory are you most glad you did/have?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TVB

Post by TVB »

snoozy wrote:What kind of bottle do you use? I've got a 16 oz stainless steel water bottle. It is not insulated. Would that work?
No, insulation doesn't matter, but you need a bottle designed to hold flammable liquids. The one linked in my post is intended for LP gas (such as propane for camp stoves), but works equally well for gasoline.

http://www.rei.com/product/784303/msr-f ... p-20-fl-oz
Last edited by TVB on Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

snoozy wrote:What kind of bottle do you use? I've got a 16 oz stainless steel water bottle. It is not insulated. Would that work?
I have two like this - http://www.sierratradingpost.com/brunto ... z~p~3391d/ I think it is a 0.5 liter, might be 0.6 L. Fuel bottle are made a little better than most water bottles, and they have a different o-ring. From the reading I did you can sometimes find water bottles that would work, they have to be one piece construction, not welded, and you have to buy o-rings.

For ~$20 you can get a 30 oz. MSR - http://www.amazon.com/MSR-MSRFUELBOTT-F ... B002L1413S that will hold ~2/10 of a gallon(you have to leave some air in the bottle so if it gets hot the gas can expand.)

50 oz. for $28 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product//B002C ... UTF8&psc=1
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

ericalm wrote:
pugbuddy wrote:Mod = Well, Ericalm is a pretty good guy to have around from time to time. I don't think I've met the other Mods....
You've met polianarchy!
I stand corrected! I didn't remember she is a mod!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

TVB wrote:
No, insulation doesn't matter, but you need a bottle designed to hold flammable liquids. The one linked in my post is intended for LP gas (such as propane for camp stoves), but works equally well for gasoline.

http://www.rei.com/product/784303/msr-f ... p-20-fl-oz
Actually, that bottle is intended for liquid fuels like gasoline, kerosene and diesel. Propane and butane come in prefilled, disposable canisters. I actually have an MSR stove that burns basically any liquid fuel other than alcohol, it's great.

I have two of these that I use to hold spare gasoline:
Got them onsale for $5, used the fuel in my stove. Bottles are HDPE, same as gas cans.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Rear rack with super-duper-triple-awesome milk crate.
so tough, so pink
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

pugbuddy wrote:
ericalm wrote:
pugbuddy wrote:Mod = Well, Ericalm is a pretty good guy to have around from time to time. I don't think I've met the other Mods....
You've met polianarchy!
I stand corrected! I didn't remember she is a mod!

Bout 3 mods here, including Eric. I'm guessing. 4? We need to know this stuff!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

KrispyKreme wrote:Bout 3 mods here, including Eric. I'm guessing. 4? We need to know this stuff!
Relevant link:

groupcp.php?g=60

Now you know.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Good list!!!!!

Mean cats, cool cats, cats that just don't care.

All are COOL heads. :nerd: :clap:
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

I'd have to say the big bore kit is the best mod. But, the windshield is the most effective (bang for buck).

YMMV.
julesrules

Post by julesrules »

We are connecting the dead lights this weekend. I never really thought about it before but am excited to see the difference it makes on my 170i.

Great idea!
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Ported big valve head and bigbore kit
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
carpenttree

Post by carpenttree »

1) dead lights converted to running lights attached to toggle switch (so I can not use during daytime)
2) 1 row of rear, running LED light strip slipped underneath lenses of my genuine top case (top row as seen in avatar pic)
3) 1 row of rear, modulated, brake light LED strip slipped underneath lenses of my genuine top case (bottom row - not seen in avatar pic)
4) modulated brake light
snoozy

Post by snoozy »

I installed a windshield this weekend and it definitely makes for a warmer, smoother ride. Also got 3 mpg more on the last fillup, but that may or may not have been due to the windscreen. Prima was what was available, so Prima is what i got. I wanted to support a local scooter shop and I was impatient to get one, so I didnt do the online thing.
C2

Post by C2 »

1) Windshield
2) Dead-lights to turn/running lights - Voodoo BOB adapter + LED lights
3) Stebel Nautilus Compact horn - Soooooo LOUD!
4) Tiki sticker on the front cowling ;)
mad-shad

this! sound system

Post by mad-shad »

craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

My most appreciated accessories, in no particular order:
  • Cuppini short windshield
    Deadlights activated and bulbs replaced with LED bulbs
    Low profile seat (makes riding much easier for this super short scooterist)
    Crash bars (because I have dropped Mia once, and almost dropped her a second time right in front of the scooter shop!)
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I carry a gallon plastic gas can that you can get from WallyWorld. Has a spout with controls to open or shut it. I keep one in my top box on the 170i and 1 in the trunk of my hack. A gallon will get me home or to the closest service station. And I always top off the rank before I ride. :wink:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Hey C2 - where did you get the Voodoo stuff, was it long ago?

The website says they are 'indefinitely unavailable' or some such, but the products sure do look like good solutions...
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

CapnK wrote:Hey C2 - where did you get the Voodoo stuff, was it long ago?

The website says they are 'indefinitely unavailable' or some such, but the products sure do look like good solutions...
You can get the wiring harnesses from Jay (thatvwbusguy) here on Modern Buddy if you can't get ahold of Voodoo.

Three of the four deadlight harnesses that I bought are from Jay. Great quality and very fast delivery.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

If things proceed as planned my next attachment will be the TowPac unit.
Assuming that they can rent one to look at to do the design. The old knees are telling me to do it!! :wink:
CityGal

Post by CityGal »

My Cheeky Seats seat cover. In Atlanta, the sun is HOT, and the seat would burn my buns off. My seat cover saves my rear 6 months out of the year.
I thank whatever gods may be, for my unconquerable soul.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I have one, black with sailver trim to match my silver 170i. Excellent seat cover.