Buddy 125 Muffler Question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pookeye

Buddy 125 Muffler Question

Post by pookeye »

So I have a 2006 Buddy 125, and looks like the muffler is cracking from the pipe, so i am in need of replacing here. So question is does a 2014 Buddy 125 Muffler fit in a 2006 Buddy 125? I just want to confirm before I begin just ordering a new muffler.

the 2006 muffler part number is C22810010001

cant find if the muffler part number for 2014 is C22810010001
thanks
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Shouldn't be any problem with the muffler on 125's from year to year. Anyone know for absolute certain?

Mostly, I wanted to suggest you put a WTB (want to buy) ad in the For Sale/Wanted forum. Plenty of folks put on an aftermarket muffler and have their factory setup sitting around. You could even dual-post to CL.
Alternatively, call a couple of scooter shops local to you and ask if they have one.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Tocsik wrote:Shouldn't be any problem with the muffler on 125's from year to year. Anyone know for absolute certain?

Mostly, I wanted to suggest you put a WTB (want to buy) ad in the For Sale/Wanted forum. Plenty of folks put on an aftermarket muffler and have their factory setup sitting around. You could even dual-post to CL.
Alternatively, call a couple of scooter shops local to you and ask if they have one.

The newer pipe will have an extra EGR tube on it but you don't have to hook it up. Otherwise it should be the same. My local dealer always seems to have take offs laying around from when other customers upgraded.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
pookeye

Post by pookeye »

Thanks for the response here, I found one on ebay, so i was gonna just order that, but another question would be is the aftermarket muffler better to buy? I was thinking of paying about 50 bucks for the 2014 buddy one... but if the aftermarket muffler is that much better, i would consider it.

is it hard to install???!??
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Doubt you'll do better than 50 bucks. But, yes, the NCY and Prima both sound better than stock by a long ways.
Installation is simple. Should be info on here somewhere. Try the Search function.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Tocsik wrote:Doubt you'll do better than 50 bucks. But, yes, the NCY and Prima both sound better than stock by a long ways.
Installation is simple. Should be info on here somewhere. Try the Search function.
Be aware that by "better" this also means louder. Quite a bit louder.
Louder to the point that I am embarrassed when I have to ride through multiple levels of our parking garage while setting off car alarms.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Christophers wrote:
Tocsik wrote:Doubt you'll do better than 50 bucks. But, yes, the NCY and Prima both sound better than stock by a long ways.
Be aware that by "better" this also means louder. Quite bit louder.
Louder to the point that I am embarrassed when I have to ride through multiple levels of our parking garage while setting off car alarms.

This and the fact the Prima pipe has suspect welds. I have heard no bad word on the NCY and I like the looks of it(basically stock).
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

KrispyKreme wrote: This and the fact the Prima pipe has suspect welds. I have heard no bad word on the NCY and I like the looks of it(basically stock).
Yes. This too, and less ground clearance on the Prima. (But I do like the sound of it.)

I'm running an NCY on both the Psycho and the Blackjack. Perfect.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

my Prima has 10k miles on it now, and I've had no problems at all with it.

Some of the first few batches seemed to have the most issues. NCY pipe looks like it would be pretty cool too!
pookeye

Post by pookeye »

Thanks for the responses here, I was able to buy it from ebay for like 55 bucks shipped... seems like a good deal, I double checked mine and it looks like its rusting out, and i think the main reason is the condensation that occurs from short trips, since i do ride for short distances a lot... explains a few things.. i couldnt find instructions on changing muffler, but i would gather that it shouldnt be rocket science..

thanks so much.

now question is, changing brakes is that hard?
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Did you buy a stock exhaust?
If so, there are just 2 bolts on the header (10 mm) and 2 that hold the pipe to the frame-mounted bracket (14 mm, I think). You can leave the bracket bolted to the frame.

Try to save the exhaust gasket at the header (it's a little circle dude that sits inside the recessed groove of the cylinder head) and pick up a tube of UltraCopper RTV to make sure you get a good seal when you put the new pipe on. I've had my pipe off (Prima) many, many times because you have to remove it any time you put on a new rear tire. With 40K miles, I've replace my rear tire about 10 times.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I have had the exhaust off 10+ times. I start by hand tightening the two nuts on the header. Next I put the other bolts in and and get them snug, then loosen them a bit. At that point I give the exhaust a little shake as I start to tighten the head nuts, this seems to give me the best seal. Finally I go back and tighten the other bolts.

I usually have to loosen the bolts that hold the bracket on just to give me a little more "wiggle" room.
Tocsik wrote: and pick up a tube of UltraCopper RTV to make sure you get a good seal when you put the new pipe on.
I've never used anything like this. I might have to give it a try.