love buddy but... (serv. plan costs)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mad-shad

love buddy but... (serv. plan costs)

Post by mad-shad »

I'm not to crazy for this service plan. first checkup was at 300 miles. cost 150 plus i have to take a boat there for another 120. AND they want me back at 600! I think I can maintain this bike fine myself and if I can't i can just get another with the savings. am i getting gouged?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I think the shop is trying to pull one over on you. The first service is at 300 to 500mi then after it should be every 2-3000mi in which they change the fluids. On a Buddy it's easy to D.I.Y unless it's something more major.....
scootERIK

Re: love buddy but... (serv. plan costs)

Post by scootERIK »

mad-shad wrote:I'm not to crazy for this service plan. first checkup was at 300 miles. cost 150 plus i have to take a boat there for another 120. AND they want me back at 600! I think I can maintain this bike fine myself and if I can't i can just get another with the savings. am i getting gouged?
$120 for the boat plus service costs, I wouldn't get any service done. I would do what I could to keep up on maintenance and when it dies buy another one. I don't think the 50 needs that much to keep it running though.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Yeah, you're getting gouged!

Learn to change your own oil and other fluids and check your tire pressure regularly.

There are helps for most of this right here on this board.

Ask away!
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I had a guy post on our local Facebook forum about what kind of scooter he should get... after he'd bought TWO Chinese scooters from this place in Nashville, one lasted a month before it broke down and they took it back as a TRADE IN for his next purchase. (Still laughing about that) I'm pretty sure this is the dealer, any who on their website they suggest a tune up after "tacking on" 600 miles. Or every 1000 miles. THAT is gouging. But then again, with the quality of the scooters their selling constant maintenance may be required.

http://reddogscooters.webs.com/service.htm
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I might do it for the initial service, then just do it yourself as much as possible.

My local shop is pretty good, and moving VERY close to me. However what they have to charge to stay in business vs how much I ride the tar out of it, I plan on changing my fluids and doing the basics as much as possible. Maybe once every few service intervals I'll take it to them, plus buy all the stuff to do so at the shop.
mad-shad

Post by mad-shad »

thank you, buddies
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yeah, I can do fluids, spark plugs, filters, etc., but anything that involves more disassembly, like work on the transmission, internals, etc. I tend to leave to competent mechanics. I probably _can_ do these things successfully, but I don't have some of the tools that really make the job go more correctly, such as an impact wrench, a 'better' torque wrench, six-point sockets, etc. Nor do I have a clean, dry, well-lit place to work. In other words, no garage.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

PeteH wrote:Yeah, I can do fluids, spark plugs, filters, etc., but anything that involves more disassembly, like work on the transmission, internals, etc. I tend to leave to competent mechanics. I probably _can_ do these things successfully, but I don't have some of the tools that really make the job go more correctly, such as an impact wrench, a 'better' torque wrench, six-point sockets, etc. Nor do I have a clean, dry, well-lit place to work. In other words, no garage.
Yes, 6-point sockets are a must, especially for high-torque applications. 12-point sockets are the devil's own creation.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

PeteH wrote:Yeah, I can do fluids, spark plugs, filters, etc., but anything that involves more disassembly, like work on the transmission, internals, etc. I tend to leave to competent mechanics. I probably _can_ do these things successfully, but I don't have some of the tools that really make the job go more correctly, such as an impact wrench, a 'better' torque wrench, six-point sockets, etc. Nor do I have a clean, dry, well-lit place to work. In other words, no garage.
Yeah, me too! Sucks, don't it?

:(
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
TVB

Re: love buddy but... (serv. plan costs)

Post by TVB »

mad-shad wrote:I'm not to crazy for this service plan. first checkup was at 300 miles. cost 150 plus i have to take a boat there for another 120. AND they want me back at 600! I think I can maintain this bike fine myself and if I can't i can just get another with the savings. am i getting gouged?
A Buddy 50 does not need service that often. Not even close. It's a two-stroke, so it doesn't need engine oil changes, which would otherwise be the most critical periodic maintenance. I used to take mine in once or twice a year for general service, and I averaged about 4500 miles a year.
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

I've checked the manual for the Buddy 50 just to be on the safe side, since I want to make sure I take good care of my scoot, and it says that the initial service should be done at 500 miles, and the second service around 1800 miles - after that, every 3000.
Benzo Mike

Post by Benzo Mike »

A 50cc 2-stroke scooter should cost you (YOU) maybe $5-20 per service, crazy easy to do yourself. No oil in the crankcase. Gear oil is about $14 per quart, good for about 15K miles. The only thing that costs anything is an air filter...

Maybe a few plugs, 2-strokes evaporate them if flogged...

Had a YSR50 back in the day, regret that sale...
New signature - you don't care what else I have, and I don't care to tell you about it. I have a 2009 Buddy Italia, let's leave it at that.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Benzo Mike wrote:A 50cc 2-stroke scooter should cost you (YOU) maybe $5-20 per service, crazy easy to do yourself. No oil in the crankcase. Gear oil is about $14 per quart, good for about 15K miles. The only thing that costs anything is an air filter...

Maybe a few plugs, 2-strokes evaporate them if flogged...

Had a YSR50 back in the day, regret that sale...
Since I didn't bring it in for service very often, I'd have them do a general inspection at the same time, which involves more labor and would cost a bit more than that.