Hey guys! Fair price on a 2009 Genuine Stella?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

james_gary

Hey guys! Fair price on a 2009 Genuine Stella?

Post by james_gary »

There is a Stella listed in my town on craigslist for $2,200; and I'm looking for my first scooter.

Reasons for a scooter:
1. Look awesome
2. Gas Mileage
3. Look awesome
4. Cars are overrated

Here is a link to the post: https://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/4621059962.html
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

That's a nice looking Stella.

Seems like a fair price to me, considering the low-ish mileage, extras, and condition. ( Plus, it's a 2-stroke, which is good if you like to tinker. )

I don't know too much about the 2-stroke models, but have heard that there were mechanical issues with the earlier ones. Those might have been sorted out by '09.
james_gary

Post by james_gary »

I thought it looked pretty good. I might go see it in a couple days and try to negotiate them down to $2000...it is worth the try.
james_gary

Post by james_gary »

misterbrackets wrote:That's a nice looking Stella.

Seems like a fair price to me, considering the low-ish mileage, extras, and condition. ( Plus, it's a 2-stroke, which is good if you like to tinker. )

I don't know too much about the 2-stroke models, but have heard that there were mechanical issues with the earlier ones. Those might have been sorted out by '09.
Is there anything that I should look for that would shout "DON'T BUY"? Other than just obvious things? Check maintenance records, etc?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

It's a fair price but I'd still try and talk him down to $2000 or less. check the tires aren't cracking and the rubber bits cos they dry up and don't hold up well from the factory. Check to see if it's been downed ect....
james_gary

Post by james_gary »

Drum Pro wrote:It's a fair price but I'd still try and talk him down to $2000 or less. check the tires aren't cracking and the rubber bits cos they dry up and don't hold up well from the factory. Check to see if it's been downed ect....
Thanks! I'll make sure that everything is in good working order. Make sure that the kickstarter works, the tires aren't cracked, that it doesn't have a bad idle, maintenance, spare tire.
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

james_gary wrote:
misterbrackets wrote:That's a nice looking Stella.

Is there anything that I should look for that would shout "DON'T BUY"? Other than just obvious things? Check maintenance records, etc?
I don't have much to add to what Drum Pro said. It doesn't look like it's been downed and it seems to be in good shape. I would check the lights and the turn signals/brake lights as well as the indicators on the speedo panel. Electrical problems can be a pain to fix. Maybe ask what sort of riding they typically do with it - that might give you a clue as to how it was broken in. Based on the mileage, it was probably a 'trip to the store' sort of vehicle or weekend cruiser. Also, if you ride it or the owner takes it for a spin, don't be scared off by the clunky sounds that come from the transmission (especially shifting into 1st from neutral). That's perfectly normal! :)
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Yeah the transmission is pretty rudimentary....
james_gary

Post by james_gary »

I'm also looking @ a 2008 G. Buddy Pamplona, it'll probably be the one I get. It's on consignment in Chattanooga for $2150… can get that down since consignment prices are usually pretty negotiable/high.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

james_gary wrote:I'm also looking @ a 2008 G. Buddy Pamplona, it'll probably be the one I get. It's on consignment in Chattanooga for $2150… can get that down since consignment prices are usually pretty negotiable/high.
I would try to negotiate, that's more than what I paid for my '08 in the spring of '09
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
james_gary

Post by james_gary »

KABarash wrote:
james_gary wrote:I'm also looking @ a 2008 G. Buddy Pamplona, it'll probably be the one I get. It's on consignment in Chattanooga for $2150… can get that down since consignment prices are usually pretty negotiable/high.
I would try to negotiate, that's more than what I paid for my '08 in the spring of '09
I would maybe give 2000 with taxes and their bs fees. If not, see if they would throw in accessories.
james_gary

Post by james_gary »

They also have a 2013 Buddy w/ 9 miles on it. Seafoam green...zombie blood?
for 2,150. seems pretty tempting. My ego is strong enough to ride that sucka.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Get the Stella.
james_gary

Post by james_gary »

srbbnd wrote:Get the Stella.
It's now between the Stella and a sexy 2009 Vespa s150.

Trying to get the Vespa to come down to 2,200-2,300 and I'll snatch it up. Otherwise, I'll be riding a Stella in a couple weeks.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Get the Vespa.
james_gary

Post by james_gary »

srbbnd wrote:Get the Vespa.
depends on if I can get the vespa price down from 2,700.

I'm going to go see the Stella this weekend, though. It's right down from my house.
1.21 Jigawatts!!

Post by 1.21 Jigawatts!! »

Howdy neighbor! I'm right around the corner from you in Nashville.

I say get the Stella. I love the orange ones. Actually, get whatever you want. But any way you go, check out scootnashville.com if you want some riding buddies. :)

Also, if you haven't already, I highly suggest taking the riding course through learntoride.org. SO valuable, plus you do all the testing in class for getting your endorsement. And you get 10% off on your insurance!

Let us know what you decide on the bike. Good thing I've already bought one, or I might be snagging it! HA!!
Headaches are all in your head.
1.21 Jigawatts!!

One more thing - I wouldn't buy that seafoam green one on cl right now. I think something is wrong with it. It's been for sale 3 times in 3 months by 3 different people. :shock:
james_gary

Post by james_gary »

1.21 Jigawatts!! wrote:Howdy neighbor! I'm right around the corner from you in Nashville.

I say get the Stella. I love the orange ones. Actually, get whatever you want. But any way you go, check out scootnashville.com if you want some riding buddies. :)

Also, if you haven't already, I highly suggest taking the riding course through learntoride.org. SO valuable, plus you do all the testing in class for getting your endorsement. And you get 10% off on your insurance!

Let us know what you decide on the bike. Good thing I've already bought one, or I might be snagging it! HA!!
Hey! Nice to see some people from the same region!

have you seen any good ones for sale lately? $2000 is about my limit since I'm a relatively poor college student :)
1.21 Jigawatts!!

The guy at Red Dog scooters on Trinity Lane was selling a really good looking black one for someone. He isn't a dealer - it was used, but I don't know the details. If you do get a Stella, he is an authorized genuine mechanic and seems to shoot straight! :)
james_gary

Post by james_gary »

1.21 Jigawatts!! wrote:The guy at Red Dog scooters on Trinity Lane was selling a really good looking black one for someone. He isn't a dealer - it was used, but I don't know the details. If you do get a Stella, he is an authorized genuine mechanic and seems to shoot straight! :)
I'm going to call them tomorrow...we'll see what he's got.
CountryJustice

Post by CountryJustice »

Only comments I have to add on the Stella in the OP:

1. The "tangerine" colorway isn't available anymore and is fairly collectible.
2. What's up with the missing crash bar on the engine-side?
james_gary

Post by james_gary »

CountryJustice wrote:Only comments I have to add on the Stella in the OP:

1. The "tangerine" colorway isn't available anymore and is fairly collectible.
2. What's up with the missing crash bar on the engine-side?
I didn't notice that!