Frozen center stand 2009 RH50 salt belt

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stinkdyr

Frozen center stand 2009 RH50 salt belt

Post by Stinkdyr »

Has anyone else ever had their center stand axle freeze up? I live and ride in Boston all winter long. Lots of road salt. Scoot shop says they drill it out for 2 hrs of labor.

Needless to say, I just use the sidestand now. But would like to restore the center stand to use if I could.

I have been spraying WD40 all around it for months. No improvement.

Thx for any ideas or success stories.

:(
pattio

Post by pattio »

When things are stuck, your arsenal of tools includes penetrating lubricant, patience, impact, heat, and leverage. WD40 is ok, but it's time to escalate. I like Kano Kroil. Patience is key- you have to apply it and then let it work before you commence your attack. Consider laying the scoot on its side to help the penetrant work in.
Next comes heat and impact. Heat the affected area with a blowtorch, obviously taking care with what stuff like plastics are nearby. Impact is next- you need to give great whacks to the stuck part, as best space allows. Steel corrosion responds well to sharp impacts. If you just gradually increase force the corrosion holds and holds, but a sharp whack will break the bonds and get it to move.
With Kroil, heat, and a good whacking with a small sledge, I bet you can get that axle out.

Best of luck.
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

Great, detailed answer, thanks!
I will pick up some Kroil, use the torch, and go at it again with my 3 lb sledge. Something will give!!

:evil:
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Just a word of advice. The RH50 has a plastic splash plate on the underside. Remove it before applying heat. :wink:
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

Good thinking Agro!
I have been spraying PB Blaster off and on for weeks. No improvement.
Might have to hit it with heat and melt out the old bushings.

Reminds me of trying to get the frozen lateral link bolt out of the rear wheel assembly on my Lesbaru Forester, so I could change the wheel bearing. Eventually had to melt out the bushings with a torch. The bolt had corrosion-welded to the metal bushing sleeves. Nasty salt belt stuff.
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

Here is the diagram of the center stand.
What happens is the long pin gets frozen/corroded inside the solid metal sleeve of the stand. Ug.

http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/buddy50stands

Heat and more pounding is next.

Word of advice to the wise....if you live in the salt belt and your center stand still swings freely....I suggest you make it part of your annual anal maintenance to slide that pivot axle pin out and lube it up with greeeeeeeze and slid it back in, in and out, in and out....ooooh baby, that feels reeeeeeeeeal goooooood! Reassemble and ride. you get the idea.

:P