New to the scoot!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DrScoot

New to the scoot!

Post by DrScoot »

I just bought a 2008 Buddy 150 and have been practicing up to take the endorsement test. I am curious what the test is like for any of you that live in Tulsa, Okla.? Any advice is much appreciated!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

First, welcome to Modern Buddy!

Second, I can't help you with any advice specific to your location, but I can give you some advice that should help with most tests. The instructors will be looking hard at your low-speed handling. So the thing to do is get comfortable riding your scooter nice and slow. Low speed handling is all about balance and control. Balance is just a matter of practice, but there is a technique to the control aspect. The way to control a scooter at low speed is with GENTLE application of the rear brake while you are moving to modulate your speed. I call it dragging the rear brake, I've heard it called a couple different things, but the idea is to modulate your speed with a touch of rear brake. Practice in an empty parking lot. Stay off the front brake, drag the rear brake just a touch, and practice doing nice easy Figure 8s. Clockwise and counterclockwise, including doing a transition from one to the other. If you can do that, they'll be impressed that you can handle a bike, which is what you're after.

Good Luck! And, again, welcome to Modern Buddy.
DrScoot

Post by DrScoot »

Cool thanks for the suggestion and the welcome! I will definitely be trying the figure 8 and brake method this weekend.