Stella Auto vs Vespa S150

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

caffeine65

Stella Auto vs Vespa S150

Post by caffeine65 »

We've been looking out for a decent scooter for my wife, and I came across an S150 at a really good price. I met the seller and he let me test drive it (which was supremely cool of him).

The first thing I noticed was how it just didn't "fit" me like my Stella does. Where my Stella feels quite roomy, this Vespa felt very narrow, and my feet and knees were uncomfortably close together. I'm not a girl; I like my knees in the breeze, so to speak. :lol:

Secondly, I did not like the way it drove. I'm sure it simply comes down to what you're used to, but I was a little spooked by how the drivetrain grabbed on during starts and let go during stops. I'm not familiar enough with twist & go motorcycles to describe it any better than that, or to guess what process is happening there, or to even know if this is common to scooters. But I didn't like it.

I don't wanna completely bag on the bike, though. It was VERY solid. I could feel and see the quality in every inch of it. And the unique sound of it gave me chills (the good kind)! Truly a fine machine and worth every penny.

But considering I didn't test drive my Stella before purchasing, I'm pleased that I somehow chose a scooter that I'm happy with.

Anyway, I don't know what my wife's impressions would've been of the S, as she didn't test drive it. I encouraged her to at least consider it since it was such a good deal, but for whatever reason, she wants to keep looking.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I think a lot has to do with what your use to, as you stated. The thing with the "roomy-ness" is down to adjusting you sitting/riding position. I have to do that every time I switch from my 170I and my 4T Stella. It becomes automatic though. How much did the seller want for it? I ask because you know your not going to go wrong with a fully functional Vespa.
caffeine65

Post by caffeine65 »

Drum Pro wrote:How much did the seller want for it? I ask because you know your not going to go wrong with a fully functional Vespa.
That's exactly what I told my wife. I actually didn't even tell her what I thought of it personally, only that it was a really good buy if she wanted it.

But… it's ultimately her call. I think she just had cold feet about spending 2k on a "second something" that we don't really need right now. Can't blame her I guess.
az_slynch

Re: Stella Auto vs Vespa S150

Post by az_slynch »

caffeine65 wrote:Secondly, I did not like the way it drove. I'm sure it simply comes down to what you're used to, but I was a little spooked by how the drivetrain grabbed on during starts and let go during stops. I'm not familiar enough with twist & go motorcycles to describe it any better than that, or to guess what process is happening there, or to even know if this is common to scooters. But I didn't like it.
Depending on the mileage of the S150, the clutch could benefit from one easy trick: pop off the chrome "Vespa" cover of the rear of the transmission and poke a blow gun or canned air straw in and give it a few blasts. A bit of clutch dust may blast out the rear air vent of the clutch cover. A clean and happy modern Vespa clutch is pretty smooth, but will get a bit grab by once the get crudded up with dust. If it's really dusty, the cover might need to come off.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...