Front wheel on my stella 150 px won't turn.

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

oldman65

Front wheel on my stella 150 px won't turn.

Post by oldman65 »

Hello everyone.
I am new to this forum and would like to know if someone could help my on a problem I have with my 05 Stella 150 PX. It's a 2 stroke engine with only 2800 miles on it. My problem is I rode it a few days ago with no problems. Then I parked it for a few days and started it up but noticed the front wheel would not turn either way. I looked at the front rotor and it was not seized by the brake caliper. The problem seemed like the wheel itself was jammed up. It only moved about a half inch either way, like something was jammed up inside of it. Does anyone have any ideas of what it may be. Thanks alot.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Best thing would be to take the wheel apart and see what is happening. Does the brake level turn? Is there brake fluid?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
oldman65

Post by oldman65 »

Not sure what you mean by break level turning. There is plenty of brake fluid in reservoir. Brake pad does not touch rotor. I can move the wheel slightly about half an inch either way but it will not rotate. My thinking is something to do with the speedometer pinion gear. Guess I'll have to disassemble the wheel to find out. Just thought someone may have had the same problem and knew what it was.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

It could be the speedo worm,normally you will just feel a bit of resistance and then the wheel will turn past it.
oldman65

Post by oldman65 »

That's what I was thinking. I'll have to take it apart to see what's going on with it. It won't work past the stoppage, too bound up. I don't want to force it anymore than it is. Thanks.
oldman65

Post by oldman65 »

Ok I disassembled the speedometer cable and pinion from the front wheel. Now it will rotate almost one full revolution of the wheel then stop. I can go in either direction and it will come to a stop after almost a complete revolution. I can't understand what else could be jamming it up or what else to take apart. Whatever it is it's in that section.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

This sounds vaguely familiar...check the pad retaining pin for the front brake caliper. Make sure it's fully seated.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
oldman65

Post by oldman65 »

I removed the brake caliper assembly and everything was intact. All pins in place.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Does the wheel hub spin freely with the caliper removed?
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

oldman65

Post by oldman65 »

Wheel does not spin freely with caliper removed. It will rotate almost one revolution then stop. It will rotate in the opposite direction then stop again.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Remove the hub and check inboard and outboard wheel bearings. You may need to replace those, or are least clean out the grease and flush them out with brake cleaner. I've seen aluminum slurry jam bearings before as you describe. It could also be a damaged bearing cage.

oldman65

Post by oldman65 »

Thanks. That was going to be my next step. Just take the whole wheel assembly and backplate apart to check it all.