Right Turn Signal Issues

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

srbbnd

Right Turn Signal Issues

Post by srbbnd »

I had my scooter in the shop getting a replacement kill switch. When I got it back a few miles down the road I noticed my right side turn signals are weird. I have had this problem a few times but it has always been related to the cowl not being in snug enough. The cowl wasnt very snug so I put it in right, but still the same issue. I checked the wiring in the glove box and cowl to make sure everything is in order and I have a feeling it probably has something to do with the kill switch. I checked a few other threads but didn't see much.

It is just a long drawn out beep with no lights, not even a light on the head unit. The left is fine, a little off point since the kill switch installation but still works.

Anyone had a similar problem with a fix?
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Did you check the bulbs? If they are good, it sounds like a loose wire to me. Check the connection in the switch and follow that wire for the right signal out. It splices on to another wire in the headset.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Look at the electrode that pokes into the hole in the body. On the inside of the cowl, youll see a single wire running from the light fixture to the electrode on the front end.
The tip of the electrode is what you want to look at closely.
It has a copper or aluminium tip on the very end. Sometimes these break off. Compare it to the working side..
If its broke off... I found an inexpensive way to fix it.
Check it out and report back.
Good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

jimmbomb wrote:Look at the electrode that pokes into the hole in the body. On the inside of the cowl, youll see a single wire running from the light fixture to the electrode on the front end.
It has a copper or aluminium tip on the very end. Sometimes these break off. Compare it to the working side..
Good luck
Checked the ends, the right side is a little scratched up but seems fine, However, the cowl is a little bent I noticed leaving a small gap between the rubber seal, think the tow truck might have been a culprit. However, can't be sure. But when I try the left blinker with the left cowl off the front left still works, so I don't think that is the problem.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Stilts wrote:Did you check the bulbs? If they are good, it sounds like a loose wire to me. Check the connection in the switch and follow that wire for the right signal out. It splices on to another wire in the headset.
I checked the bulbs, they are good, unscrewed the switch, connections look good. Is taking off the headset an easy task?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

srbbnd wrote:I checked the bulbs, they are good, unscrewed the switch, connections look good. Is taking off the headset an easy task?
Ever open a can of worms? It looks similar. :wink:

There are four Phillips screws under the headset that retain the top half. Once those are out, you might need to scooch some of the speedometer cable back into the front fork in order to lift it up. Take careful note of how all the wiring is routed; it will be a bastard to stuff it all back in. Once you have lifted the headset top a little, reach in and unscrew the speedometer cable from the speedometer and carefully flop the headset back.

Check the right hand switch block wiring the see if it's been cut or abraded where it passes by the throttle tube.

Reassembly is the reverse of this procedure, along with some cussing and fiddling to fit all those wires back in.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Maybe I will try the fuses first. I hear there are two one behind the horn cast and one behind the battery. Would that have any effect on just one the right side for the turn signals?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

srbbnd wrote:Maybe I will try the fuses first. I hear there are two one behind the horn cast and one behind the battery. Would that have any effect on just one the right side for the turn signals?
he one by the battery is part of the charging circuit. Can't recall exactly what the other one done at the moment, need to look at a wiring diagram. However, the that point the left side of the signals works suggests that power is OK and that the issue lies between the switch and the grounds for the right signals. You could swap in an electronic flasher relay temporarily, it'll flash even with the cowl off and would help isolate the problem (if the switch is good, the right front will flash, even with the right rear cowl off).

Still, if the shop fiddled with the kill switch, I can't help but wonder if they left a loose screw-on fitting in the right-hand switch and that you have a weak or intermittent connection to the right signals from there.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
srbbnd

Solution

Post by srbbnd »

After trying everything, I finally worked up the courage and took off the head unit. I couldn't quite figure how to get the speedo cable off, but wasn't really necessary. The problem was the wire connected to the right blinker display was pinched when they screwed on the head unit. I molded it a bit with my fingers and put the head unit back on. Works perfectly now. I am still amazed with the innards of this thing. It is like a mad scientist in a Steam Punk show decided to cram a little thing full of wires.
Attachments
stellawires.jpg
stellawires.jpg (100.74 KiB) Viewed 846 times
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

jimmbomb wrote:Look at the electrode that pokes into the hole in the body. On the inside of the cowl, youll see a single wire running from the light fixture to the electrode on the front end.

Good luck
Please don't keep us in suspense...