Stolen stolen stolen stolen, WTH?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Syd

Stolen stolen stolen stolen, WTH?

Post by Syd »

What's going on lately?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

I was thinking the same thing. I have a garage and where I park at work no one would mess with it. I have two stores I travel to with my buddy and the parking spots I take are very strategic for "loss prevention". There may be a time in the future that I have no choice and it worries me.
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

This is why I lock my scooter up - even when it's parked in my garage at home... Granted, my bedroom is right above the garage, so I can hear if someone's trying to screw with something in there at night, but I'm still paranoid, and I depend on my scoot way too much to let it get stolen.
caffeine65

Post by caffeine65 »

I have to say, all these "stolen" posts have me researching alarm systems for my Stella.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

In the world of epidemiology, sometimes a bunch of folks just happen to get sick when there is no connection between them, several folks in a small town get a rare cancer, for example. The word for this is a "cluster." It means events that are not causally connected. That's probably what we have here. It doesn't hurt to be aware of the risk, though, particularly for the folks who rely on their scooters as their primary source of transportation. I hate to have to think about this stuff, but it goes with the territory. Mostly I'm just sorry for all the folks whose scooters got stolen. :(
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

caffeine65 wrote:I have to say, all these "stolen" posts have me researching alarm systems for my Stella.
I know right. Was looking at GPS trackers. Don't want to pay for a plan though.
bcsarmaa

Post by bcsarmaa »

craftynerd wrote:This is why I lock my scooter up - even when it's parked in my garage at home... Granted, my bedroom is right above the garage, so I can hear if someone's trying to screw with something in there at night, but I'm still paranoid, and I depend on my scoot way too much to let it get stolen.
I'm one of the guys who had my Scooter stolen recently. I was religious about locking it up (heavy duty Trimax lock and chain) and also engaging the steering lock.

My scooter was locked to a cement light pole right outside my apartment (the most solid attachment that I could find in the area). I live on the third floor of said apartment with my bedroom window overlooking the light post.

I was at my house when the theft occurred (in a room with a window overlooking the light post). I didn't hear a thing when the thieves took it, I'm actually certain it happened during the day/evening probably between 2:00PM and 10:00 PM.

An alarm might have been better at alerting me to what was happening outside (which I did not purchase because I trusted the lock).

I asked the dealer about thefts in my area and he told me pretty much every system is being defeated, at least around Boston. You have to catch them in the act to stand any chance at preventing a theft in progress. Police are not much of a help unless you have a witness or you managed to have video or a picture of the thief's in action (provided they can be ID'd).
srbbnd

Kryptonite GPS Real Time

Post by srbbnd »

After reading about all the stolen scooters it got me paranoid. I ordered this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009LTEWVE/ref ... 00_TE_item

I don't know why it is so cheap now, I doubt it will work, but if it does it will help me sleep at night.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Wow!

I had my license plate taken off the scoot parked right outside my apartment window, first floor. Right outside!

This was the little C3 that 2 strong thieves could have easily carried off and put into a van or pick-up truck.

Since that incident I keep my bigger red Honda locked over in my storage unit. The facility is locked, the unit is locked, the steering column is locked, and the key hole is blocked.

When it comes over to the apartment to hang out for the weekend it is right off my deck now with the charger engaged and the porch light on. That baby ain't going no where!

8)

So sorry for all you guys who lost their scoots! Nothing lower than a bicycle or scooter thief!

:x
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
pink09

Post by pink09 »

Ive had my current scooter stolen twice, and Im happy to say that it was recovered both times. :D Which, I know, is extremely lucky'and rare. The 1st time it was stolen, it was stolen from my parking space at night. It was locked up to a pole, but my parking space was right by an alley, (so not a good spot). It was gone for a whole month, and then a friend of mine saw it in front of a (ironically) Peace and Justice Center, with a for sale sign on it. The ignition was still out and was roughed up. I called the cops and they actually set up a sting operation, and caught the basterd. So, don't give up- it is possible to get it back, (even after a mnth).
The 2nd time, it was stolen from my backyard, right by backdoor, that has a window and which I can easily see it and walk by all the time. It also had a lock, although I shld have gotten a real heavy duty lock (although expensive). I was asking around, seeing if any if my neighbors had seen it, and low and behold a neighbor in the apt next to mine said he had it in his apt. He stated that "some kids" stole it and that he just brought it home, (in which he had it for 3 days w/ tellin me?!). Yeah right- he totally stole it. He was a pretty seedy guy, and you cld totally tell he had taken it. I think the only reason he gave it back, and admitted tht he had it was b/c he thought that I somehow knew he had it in his apt. Anyways, the cops couldn't do anything about that one. I still haven't gotten my scooter running from that one, unfortunately, but am working on it. In some good news, I finally heard from the courts yesterday abt the 1st guy who stole it and it looks like I may be able to get reimbursed for the damage he did.
I don't know abt other towns, but it sure seems like Abq has a lot of scooter thefts. Lock your stuff up!
Rhuebott5947

Post by Rhuebott5947 »

It happens around here too. Had a coworker run down to a gas station on lunch and after an in and out run for a few things his was stolen. Not even inside for two minutes. I went out the next day and bought a huge Kryptonite cable for my B-09R I'd hate for it to go missing.