Help get my Silver Stella out of the garage. (04/2T)

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

phaedrus

Help get my Silver Stella out of the garage. (04/2T)

Post by phaedrus »

A couple weeks ago on the way home from work she died in third (clutch engaged) while coasting to a stop light after driving through a bit of rain. This was a first, was able to start back up and keep running with generous throttle while in a stopped position.

Next day, same thing. Bogging down and dying mid ride.

I've cleaned the jets twice, new plug, confirmed spark/gas flow, and have disco'd the killswitch wire with no luck. After all of this I now cannot get a start at all.

I've plateau'd in my troubleshooting knowledge to this point. Any advice on what I might try next?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Check for spark.

If good ignition system I would do a full rebuild on the carb. Take it all the way apart and clean everything, replace the float and needle and gaskets.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Probably th coil,very common fault on LML/Stellas.
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

BuddyRaton wrote:Check for spark.

If good ignition system I would do a full rebuild on the carb. Take it all the way apart and clean everything, replace the float and needle and gaskets.
Thanks bud. I have both visually and physically confirmed spark :oops:

I have a gasket set on hand and will try that first.
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Tipper wrote:Probably th coil,very common fault on LML/Stellas.
I'm not real familiar with the Coils function Tipper, but would getting spark be indicative of that not being faulty?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

You have gas, you have spark. Maybe the flywheel key sheared and the flywheel slipped out of time? You'd still have spark, but it could be happening at the wrong time.

The '09 models have a CDI similar to the PX series, with the pulser coil inside of the rotor instead of outside like the earlier Stellas. The stator plate is secured with three Phillips screws and if the plate slipped, the pulser could move and set your ignition timing off as well.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

phaedrus wrote:
Tipper wrote:Probably th coil,very common fault on LML/Stellas.
I'm not real familiar with the Coils function Tipper, but would getting spark be indicative of that not being faulty?
With a faulty coil you often get a spark when testing it in the garage but as soon as it's under load and hot it breaks down and the spark is not enough to ignite the fuel.