Are 4T Manuals still being made?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

srbbnd

Are 4T Manuals still being made?

Post by srbbnd »

I talked to my dealer and he said they are no longer being made, is this true? Have they just converted over to the autos? I checked Genuine's web page and they are still advertised.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Your dealer is incorrect the 4T manuals are still being made and will be for the foreseeable future.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Here is a press release from LML to confirm this,

''Date:11 Mar 2014
Chandigarh, March 11, 2014. LML has been a household brand in scooters because of its strong lineage. Going forward, the company plans to have a portfolio of 5 scooters by 2015 and emerge as a complete scooter company. The products include a 150cc 2 stroke basic commuting scooter with low cost of ownership, 150cc 4 stroke offering very high fuel economy with riding ease of a scooter, convenience for men in a Male CVT in Star Euro (our most successful brand in Europe) 150 cc automatic & Star Euro 200 cc for performance scootering for enthusiasts seeking lifestyle cues. Currently the company offers geared scooters which are not the mainstream scooter in today’s context although there are dedicated buyers for geared scooters.
The first launch expected in late April is a 150 cc automatic ‘Male Scooter’. In-house research done by the company in association with reputed research agency GFK Mode threw light on the fact that although scooters gained ground owing to the bulging population of working women, today 70% users of scooters are driven by all men. These 70% males are riding their scooters exclusively without having the need to share their scooters with any other female members in their family or otherwise. LML already has a scooter in its geared version that confirms to male cues visually, ergonomically and even perceptually owing to its age old male association. A very high performance CVT in the form of the new launch in such a body line will simply bridge the gap if presented in right package.
According to Mr. Partha Choudhary, Head- Sales and Marketing, LML Ltd., “The current CAGR of scooter growth is 23% which is twice the CAGR for motorcycles with the contribution of the youth in the number of scooter-buyers growing from 2% to 10% over last five years, as per research reports. The growth of scooter market is directly proportional to the growth in urbanization of the society along with increasing need for commuting of working women. Today’s scooter being a CVT it is extremely easy to ride and this is one more reason why one prefers a scooter to a motorcycle when it comes to negotiating congested traffic conditions on an urban road.”
“ It is good news for us that the Indian scooter industry size is big enough and still swelling in markets like Chandigarh. The new breed of scooters like ours target the male buyer who would aspire more than just continuing to ride a unisex product. There is a growing need for a truly male CVT scooter. It is possible that today’s riders don’t feel this need gap consciously but once they are exposed to such an offering they are bound to adopt this which better suits the functional and emotional needs of a male scooter riding. So in short, we are entering the main stream scooter market with a relevant differentiation that we believe is the strongest latent need of scooter riders,” he added.
The focus of LML in the last few years has been to be export oriented yet domestic relevant. The company has been exporting to evolved international markets like Europe, US, Australia, Japan etc. where although the size of industry was not too big but the contribution was pretty attractive. In exports, LML is now one of the most significant scooter exporters from India and the largest if we take the European market as the real destination for export.
LML Ltd. currently has a strong network presence in Delhi, Punjab and parts of Gujarat, Maharashtra & Western UP. The company will complete its foot print pan India in next couple of months time and is in the process of appointing at least four distributors one each in Punjab, Delhi, UP west & UP east. It is also in the process of appointing some retailing dealers with a Distributor or a Consignee Sales Agent to service the retailers’ need as a spoke & hub arrangement. The business model is large SKU driven hence this arrangement would be necessary. This is new to the Indian two wheeler business but is a very successful time tested arrangement across the globe for all manufacturers. Incidentally, the company has already been operating in Gujarat & Maharashtra through active distributors for the last one year giving credence to this concept.'
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

All this from LML is fine, but which models LML builds and which models Genuine imports into the US are two different things. A clear example - LML builds a 200cc manual shift, but we don't see it in the US.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

The Stella isn't a big seller in the US but it is still being made. I was told that Genuine were going to skip a year importing the manuals cos they ordered a lot of the automatics.....
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

The question was are the manuals still being made and the answer is yes.
As far as importation goes your best bet is to get an answer straight from the horses mouth and email genuine.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Tipper wrote:The question was are the manuals still being made and the answer is yes.
As far as importation goes your best bet is to get an answer straight from the horses mouth and email genuine.
If I recall correctly, I got the sense talking with folks at Amerivespa that the 4T might be available as special order item in the future.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There is one sole determinant for whether the manuals will continue to be offered: sales.

They'll be offered for at least another year or so. Dealers are still able to order them.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pat.m.ryan

Post by pat.m.ryan »

...convenience for men in a Male CVT in Star Euro...

I bet all the dudes here are glad they can finally scoot around without gears and still keep their manhood!

Also now wondering what a female CVT looks like?
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

That plastic looking rack on the back is decidedly "unmanly"
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

pat.m.ryan wrote:

Also now wondering what a female CVT looks like?
That'll be the 125 ;)
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

Dooglas wrote:All this from LML is fine, but which models LML builds and which models Genuine imports into the US are two different things. A clear example - LML builds a 200cc manual shift, but we don't see it in the US.
A 200cc manual.... how sweet would that be! Must not meet emissions for the US.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

http://www.genuinescooters.com/index.html

They are no longer on the homepage, but you can find them hiding in the scooters tab.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Seems like the geared 4t's days are number over there in the US,although I cant seem to find a mention of the Auto Stella on the Genuine website ?!

Are the 2T Stellas till available from dealers over there ?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Tipper wrote:
Seems like the geared 4t's days are number over there in the US,although I cant seem to find a mention of the Auto Stella on the Genuine website ?!

Are the 2T Stellas till available from dealers over there ?
The US doesn't get anymore 2T Stellas...
zoiberg137

Post by zoiberg137 »

I feel its a shame that they came out with the automatics at all. That was one of the cool things about a stella; that if you saw one, you knew it was a standard shift. Why automatics are so popular is something I will never understand. What I would really like to see is a 250 (or bigger) standard shift scooter. Probably will never happen, but if it did, I would buy it. IF something happens to my stella and the only scooters that are available are autos....guess I'm going to motorcycles...
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

zoiberg137 wrote:I feel its a shame that they came out with the automatics at all. That was one of the cool things about a stella; that if you saw one, you knew it was a standard shift. Why automatics are so popular is something I will never understand. What I would really like to see is a 250 (or bigger) standard shift scooter. Probably will never happen, but if it did, I would buy it. IF something happens to my stella and the only scooters that are available are autos....guess I'm going to motorcycles...
The reason why is that a lot of people want that classic look and want the ease of an auto. Sort of a, "we want the best of both worlds thing." The problem is that there is only so much you can do with the design of a P series engine into frame wise without completely changing the OG design. I think it's just a natural progression and LML/Genuine listening to what some people wanted. I just wish they would have imported the 200's first but they gambled on the automatic simply because the manual Stella isn't that great of a seller in the US considering there are "better", easier to operate and maintain scoots out there for around the same price....