Ski Jacket good for winter riding?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Godio13

Ski Jacket good for winter riding?

Post by Godio13 »

Hi,
I scoot 5 miles to work every day in Boston (Southie to Brookline) and I am trying to avoid another winter of triple layering. It's time to invest in something durable and warm. I hate walking into my office carrying so much just to get to work. They think I'm crazy enough as it is for scooting :).

I need something that can withstand 30 degree commutes, wind/rain and is insulated, super warm. But I want to avoid "motorcycle" jackets because I need something that I can wear everyday during the winter months. I don't want a separate jacket for scooting and a separate jacket for every day. I'm tired of that. I am leaning toward a Columbia Ski jacket.

My questions is if people think that this will truly be effective. I see fellow scooters driving in ski jackets and am curious if they are happy with. Please let me know if you have one! It will not have the armor that makes motorcycle/scooting bikes stand out, and I am okay with that.

Here is the jacket I am thinking; http://www.backcountry.com/columbia-alp ... ket-womens

Thanks so much!
KABarash

Re: Ski Jacket good for winter riding?

Post by KABarash »

Godio13 wrote: It will not have the armor that makes motorcycle/scooting bikes stand out, and I am okay with that.
I think you've answered your oun question there. Wind resistant, water resistant and warm, that's the 'ticket'. You'll get the comfort you're looking for, there you go. You're willing to give up the protection of a riding specific jacket, I feel the issue is a 'non-issue'.
I won't 'preach' gear, I don't always 'gear up' myself. I do however have an armored mesh pullover I can wear under just about anything also the GoGo Gear hoodie can be layered under a nice warm coat or jacket.

My newest winter coat, 2 years old, is gore-tex and thinsulate, from LL Bean, said to be good to -20F haven't ridden in it yet.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Below 60 degrees I wear what I used to use when I went skiing, down jacket and snow pants. You are looking at the right features. I would recommend getting some pants too, or a scooter skirt.

Another option, though layered, would be to get a summer riding jacket and a ski jacket that is large enough to fit over the riding jacket. That's what I do when it gets too cold to just wear the riding jacket.

Or you could look into something like this -
http://www.amazon.com/Approved-Full-Arm ... B00BFWK34K
Godio13

Post by Godio13 »

KABarash wrote:
Godio13 wrote: It will not have the armor that makes motorcycle/scooting bikes stand out, and I am okay with that.
I think you've answered your oun question there. Wind resistant, water resistant and warm, that's the 'ticket'. You'll get the comfort you're looking for, there you go. You're willing to give up the protection of a riding specific jacket, I feel the issue is a 'non-issue'.
I won't 'preach' gear, I don't always 'gear up' myself. I do however have an armored mesh pullover I can wear under just about anything also the GoGo Gear hoodie can be layered under a nice warm coat or jacket.

My newest winter coat, 2 years old, is gore-tex and thinsulate, from LL Bean, said to be good to -20F haven't ridden in it yet.
I never heard of the go go hoodie, so I will definitely look into that. Thanks!

The "issue" part in my post was more that I wanted feedback from people who only wear ski jackets when they ride, and whether they work without beefy layers. If, based on people's responses, I find that ski jackets don't really offer the weather protection I need, then I will invest in the motorcycle jacket. Ski jackets are great for skiing, but maybe not for traveling at 30mph for 45 min in sub 30 degree weather.
Godio13

Post by Godio13 »

KABarash wrote: My newest winter coat, 2 years old, is gore-tex and thinsulate, from LL Bean, said to be good to -20F haven't ridden in it yet.
I didn't even consider LL Bean! That's next. Thanks!
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I'm just down the street from you in Providence, ride all year, and have a similar commute to yours (4 miles, city traffic). I wear a Patagonia Nano Puff jacket (Primaloft insulation, wind resistant) under a waterproof, Gore-Tex armored motorcycle jacket, and that keeps me warm enough, even on those 10F days. I would not be warm enough with just the Nano Puff.

Wind is your biggest concern.

You could get something with Gore Windstopper fabric. That stuff is truly miraculous. I picked up a Dainese Windstopper shirt in the flea market on another forum, and it allows me to not have to wear 5 layers when it's really cold out. The shirt is similar to this: http://www.revzilla.com/product/dainese ... pper-shirt

And finally, consider what you're going to wear on your hands. Even with your short commute, your hands will be frozen if you don't have heated gloves, heated grips, or some kind of muff that covers your handlebars and envelope your hands.

Like these:
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I can't say enough about heated gear. I was initially put off by the initial cost, toughed it out, and arrived at the end of my commutes frozen. Eventually decided it was too dangerous to be riding so cold and frozen, being distracted by the cold and fingers slow to react

The warmth of heated gear is wonderful. Unfortunately the Buddy does not have enough juice to power heated gear. I use wired gear on my Burgman. If I had only my Buddy I would go for some battery powered gear. There are battery powered gloves, jacket liners and vests. The advantage of the battery powered gear over wired is that you can use it for other activities, such as shoveling your vehicles out of the snow!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

There's a lot of good armored riding gear too for the winter

If you're in it for the long haul, a good winter jacket is a worthy investment.

Heated gear is oh so nice!

Barring that you need a base layer and something to block wind. I usually wear a thermal layer, a hoodie, and one of my heavier riding jackets. Keeps me nice and toasty.
tspinning

Post by tspinning »

I started my first winter with a nice ski/alpine hiking jacket, the <a href="http://marmot.com/products/details/zion-jacket">Marmot Zion</a>. It is awesome, 110% water proof and windproof (and soft, not a hard shell). It however offered no padding, and minimum insulation. If you're looking for a good ski type parka, also check out snowboard jackets as they can provide some more warmth and padding, although perhaps at the expense of style... ymmv. Either way, make sure it's seriously 100% H20 proof or you've wasted your $$$.

But, back to the Marmot, it was great till black ice took me for a quick slide (<10mph going round a corner) and ripped the elbow a bit. Also bruised my arm, but low speed so nothing serious. Scooter was fine too aside from a scrape on the center stand. I still use the jacket in torrential rains as nothing is more waterproof, but for most riding year round I've moved to the <a href="http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revi ... et">Rev'it Opera</a> jacket. It is awesome, does well in cold, wind and rain, and looks nice enough to wear out to non-riding events and the office. Oh, and it's padded. One thing I'll say, that is a disappointment, has been the button sewing quality. An easy fix for sure, but stronger thread and better stitching for the buttons should have been done for a >$300.00 jacket.

Anyway, I guess, what I'm getting at, is I feel better, safer, and more comfortable in the Rev'it compared to the ski jacket. I often do my base layer (wife beater), work shirt (polo or button up), and a hoodie in the extreme cold, and the Opera (with liner) in the winter. Come March/April I took out the liner and road the jacket till summer when none was used. It's actually a good summer rain shell, and I can deal with the warmth for my short ride in that situation.

I too have a 4 mile each way commute, Somerville ->Cambridge, and try and ride every day unless it's actively snowing.

Good luck with whatever you choose, also I'm on the hunt for those grip cover things in the above pic as my hands were iced no matter what gloves I used ($100 First Gears or $70 Perl Izumi bike gloves which were actually better than the FG's!).
tspinning

Post by tspinning »

Also, kind of awkward, but useful test for a jacket. Physically try and breath or blow through it from the outside. Can you feel your breath on the inside when doing so? If you can, you're probably not looking at the right jacket for riding in winter. I find a lot of the LL, EMS, REI stuff is great for shoveling snow (when you're effectively a furnace in the jacket) but doesn't cut it for passive outdoor activities, particularly when you add wind+riding speed. Look at real (sadly $$) ski/snowboard gear (Carbon, 686, maybe HH), snowmobile, or ice climbing garments for the needed fabric quality. I'd rather buy 1 $400 jacket and get it right then spend 3 winters buying $200 stuff that doesn't meet my needs.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Hippo Hands for your hands on cold days. They will take excellent care of your fingers!

http://www.hippohands.com/HIPPO%20HANDS.htm
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

spinning wrote:…but for most riding year round I've moved to the <a href="http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revi ... et">Rev'it Opera</a> jacket. It is awesome, does well in cold, wind and rain, and looks nice enough to wear out to non-riding events and the office.
I can't say enough great things about my Rev'it Horizon jacket. It's a much more technical-oriented piece than the Opera and has more adjustments than I can count, but it's gotten me through a number of freezing/sub-freezing rides and is comfortable in warmer weather, too. Sorry to say I also know it holds up very well in a crash and did its job protecting me.

I also have a pair of their mesh pants. Overall, excellent gear. (Even on deep sale, they're also the most expensive pieces or riding apparel I've ever purchased but well worth it.)

Oh — those freezing rides were not around Los Angeles, BTW!
Attachments
Ahh, Chicago in February!
Ahh, Chicago in February!
me_on_stella.jpg (107.74 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Godio, while I know you're trying to avoid multiple layers, I would only offer the following: winter riding, with unknown quantities of salt, patchy slush, and/or black ice on the roads, probably presents a higher percentage risk of a fall. You might factor that into your decision as to whether to armor up or not.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Godio13

Post by Godio13 »

tspinning wrote: Good luck with whatever you choose, also I'm on the hunt for those grip cover things in the above pic as my hands were iced no matter what gloves I used ($100 First Gears or $70 Perl Izumi bike gloves which were actually better than the FG's!).
Thanks so much for that. You nailed it on the nose. They are a little out of my price range, but that's the type I am aiming for.

As for the grip covers, I have them, as well and got mine off of Amazon for $20. They are great;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0022Z ... UTF8&psc=1
Godio13

Post by Godio13 »

PeteH wrote:Godio, while I know you're trying to avoid multiple layers, I would only offer the following: winter riding, with unknown quantities of salt, patchy slush, and/or black ice on the roads, probably presents a higher percentage risk of a fall. You might factor that into your decision as to whether to armor up or not.
You're absolutely right. I have been riding for three years and had one accident that took me to the ground - busted my tooth, hands destroyed, black eye - but because the jacket never ripped, and my limbs were fine, I never considered an armored jacket. My legs were actually protected by the scooter skirt that I have (highly recommend one). After the accident, I was thinking more about my hand protection, but it didn't cross my mind that a non-motorcycle jacket will rip on you and tear your skin. I realized that now.

I guess I am just trying to be financially conscious by getting one jacket for more than one purpose. I did find a jacket that I don't think is too "motorcycly" and that I can probably wear on my upstate trips, or skiing. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009CZ ... UTF8&psc=1. It's the TourMaster Trinity Series 3.

It's the best and cheapest of what I've seen so far and the reviews are great on scooter sites so I may have found my solution...
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I get it - don't necessarily want to look like a Power Ranger either. If I wuz you, I'd consider some 'sane' layering - something like an armored hoodie (Bilt/CycleGear, GoGoGear, others) under a ski jacket of some sort. When you get where you're going, unzip 'em both and take them off together. That way, you get at least some body protection without looking totally dorky.

Many years ago when I was a poor college student with no car and a Honda CT-90, I rode well into the cold of winter rather than taking the bus. More often than I should have, as I did a bit of slipping and sliding on the aforementioned road hazards. Layers helped a lot, since just riding at normal traffic speeds meant the same amount of wind effect as a 35mph or higher gust. I found that lots of thinner layers worked better than the One Big Jacket approach.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
smithb9

Post by smithb9 »

I have almost the same commute as you: Southie to Longwood... I wonder if we ever see each other.

Today was the first day I noticed the cold while riding, and I plan on trying to ride through the winter as well. I have a windproof eddiebauer vest I wear under a thin cotton jacket that surprisingly keeps me warm, but it was my knees that got most cold today. What do people wear for pants when it gets cold?
Godio13

Post by Godio13 »

smithb9 wrote:I have almost the same commute as you: Southie to Longwood... I wonder if we ever see each other.

Today was the first day I noticed the cold while riding, and I plan on trying to ride through the winter as well. I have a windproof eddiebauer vest I wear under a thin cotton jacket that surprisingly keeps me warm, but it was my knees that got most cold today. What do people wear for pants when it gets cold?
I actually bought the Tourmaster Women's Trinity 3. It has changed my life;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009CZ ... UTF8&psc=1

As for legs- I wear a pair of mesh ski pants over my work pants, or over a pair of long johns/ or leggins. Once the weather get realllly cold where that doesn't help, then I put on my scooter skirt, which has also changed my life;
http://www.scooterskirts.com/
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Godio13 wrote:I actually bought the Tourmaster Women's Trinity 3. It has changed my life;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009CZ ... UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for this! We will have to get one for our daughter that transplanted to Colorado and is riding daily. I think my wife would really like one of these as well. She has used her ski outfit the last 5 years and still will not ride under 40 degrees.

I have used the scooter skirt down to 19 degrees and am amazed at how well it performs. The only drawback is it is somewhat bulky to get on yet once rolling - works great!
Syd

Post by Syd »

tspinning wrote:Also, kind of awkward, but useful test for a jacket. Physically try and breath or blow through it from the outside. Can you feel your breath on the inside when doing so? If you can, you're probably not looking at the right jacket for riding in winter. I find a lot of the LL, EMS, REI stuff is great for shoveling snow (when you're effectively a furnace in the jacket) but doesn't cut it for passive outdoor activities, particularly when you add wind+riding speed. Look at real (sadly $$) ski/snowboard gear (Carbon, 686, maybe HH), snowmobile, or ice climbing garments for the needed fabric quality. I'd rather buy 1 $400 jacket and get it right then spend 3 winters buying $200 stuff that doesn't meet my needs.
This. Like siobhan said, wind is your enemy. I rode through Phoenix "winters" with a Bass Thinsulate jacket with a wind proof shell and knit cuffs. With insulated gloves and a scarf to close off the neck I stayed warm on my 6 mile sometime-30F morning commute.

(30F is COLD in Phoenix)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Benzo Mike

Post by Benzo Mike »

Abrasion and impact resistance is everything. The rest is secondary. Dress for the crash, not for the ride. That said, zip the liner into the leathers, thermal compression suit, long-sleeved shirt, and a balaclava. Close the helmet vents. And grab something hot (motorcycle cylinder head, scooter -good luck) at red lights.
New signature - you don't care what else I have, and I don't care to tell you about it. I have a 2009 Buddy Italia, let's leave it at that.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

smithb9 wrote: What do people wear for pants when it gets cold?
For me, flannel or fleece lined pants and jeans under wind resistant over pants works well. I've one pair at least that are big enough to put on over my 'work' pants. I've even worn my Charhatt bibs as well. There's lots of options out there, you can look into 'riding specific' over pants, even ski pants.
I'm thinking about looking into something from CycleGear this year, we've already had some 30• mornings.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
JOHNHOF

Winter riding is fun

Post by JOHNHOF »

Please do yourself a big favor and get a good thermal jacket with armor you won't regret it. Don't mess around with jackets not meant for the job. In cold weather I do go the ski equipment route for my gloves. I wear gel filled ski gloves because they are designed to block wind to 60 mph. The 60 mph is important to me because I ride my motorcycle in the winter not our scooter. I don't think they are as protective as my leather cloves but the trade off is my hands are not numb so I have better control.
Witch

Post by Witch »

Going along with the comment about wind being a top concern...

Sure it's another chunk of change, but seriously consider getting a wind screen of some sort, even a short one. It will dramatically cut down on the wind chill factor that hits your core, and will thus give extra protection no matter what you're wearing. Screens are pretty easy to install and remove on a Buddy. I don't know how I ever survived riding in cold weather without a screen once I got one. And yes, hand grip covers can make a huge difference as well.
JOHNHOF

Pants

Post by JOHNHOF »

KaBarash I wear a pair of textile Mottorrad pants with removable bib and armor in the knees.