Battery issue or??

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slotrod65

Battery issue or??

Post by slotrod65 »

OK, so I took the battery out of my Stella last fall, and had it hooked up to a trickle charger in my basement all winter. Now that I have it installed back in the scooter, neither the starter or the horn work. The starter just clicks when the button is pressed, and the horn clicks and tries to blow... but just doesn't. I have a Stebel Nautilus air horn mounted next to the battery, so that is part of the equation. When I have the scooter running and at higher rpm, the horn blows, but not at fill power. I have checked all of the connections for the horn and they all are cleaned and firm.

All lights including turn signals, headlight, tail, brake and turn beeper all are completely functioning.

My first thought was that this was a battery issue, but when I hook it back up to the charger, it shows green after 15 seconds...

I am stumped.

Any thoughts?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Have you checked the fuses?
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I don't believe it is a fuse issue. If a fuse was bad, the circuit would be totally dead. As is, they try to work... I am getting some power, but not enough to spin the starter or blow the horn loud.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Does the tail light (NOT headlight) brake light, turn signals and pilot work when the motor is NOT running??
If they dont, and are weak,
then it's a battery issue..
How are the water levels?
Was it a trickle charger?? or an AUTOmatic maintenance charger?
If it wasn't an AUTO charger, then you seriously shortened the life of it (at best 3 years). possibly
I see yours in a 12.. No telling how long the battery was filled with juice BEFORE you got the bike and put it in service.
It could be past it's usable life asfaras holding a legit charge'
Do you have any buds that you can swap batteries with as a troubleshooting exercise??
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

All lights, even the tail and brake work without the engine running and are very bright. I will check the water levels. The charger was a Battery Tender Junior, and is fully automatic.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

You may have a pinched wire somewhere but I would start with the battery...Good luck....
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

but I would start with the battery...Good luck....
+1
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

And also.. trace your battery cables backwards and make sure the connections are tight.
Especially the red cable going to the starter (selinoid)? -1 SP.
Alot of times, on small engines, all those connections at the positive cable south of the battery need to be tight. Youll may be surprised to see lock washers on all those cables.
Good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
viney266

Post by viney266 »

A a long time mechanic ( take no offense) K.I.S.S.. Take the battery to your local bike shop and have it tested, sometimes they just crap out. ( you are doing it right with the battery tender). Check that battery FIRST. If its bad $30 and done :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I tested all connections again today, and ran the scooter for a while. Pressing the horn button made it blow louder, but still not quite full blast. I think that this sub zero winter may have "almost killed" the battery despite my using the tender. I did have it sitting on the basement floor all winter.

I have to get the scoot inspected, so I may just end up with a new battery...

Thanks everyone!
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

OK, so based on my field tests, the battery is a goner. It won't hold a charge.

Any suggestions for the best battery to get as a replacement?
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I've found the sealed gel based batteries are a lot more convenient than the acid water batteries. No mess or muss to worry about.

Viney266 is right - go to a shop, preferably a small family business and buy a battery from them.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Willie B

Post by Willie B »

slotrod65 wrote:I tested all connections again today, and ran the scooter for a while. Pressing the horn button made it blow louder, but still not quite full blast. I think that this sub zero winter may have "almost killed" the battery despite my using the tender. I did have it sitting on the basement floor all winter.

I have to get the scoot inspected, so I may just end up with a new battery...

Thanks everyone!
Here's your issue, never place a battery on concrete or earth without placing it on a piece of wood. The floor acts as a conductor and zaps the energy from the battery. Placing the battery on a tender while placed on the floor did nothing in this scenario other than inflate your power bill and stimulate the worms under the slab.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Thanks Willie B. I expected that might be the case...

I have been looking at these: Any thoughts?

http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports ... sYT9A.html
Willie B

Post by Willie B »

Be careful not to purchase a Chinese battery or one manufactured in a 3rd world country. Considering you reside in a populated area, ring Interstate battery in your area and get a quote for the battery you need. Also be certain that your new battery is properly filled, the vent cap is removed and the battery has been properly charged before installing it in your bike. Most reputable battery retailers fill and keep batteries charged or will fill and charge it prior to your arrival considering you ring them beforehand. If you purchase a battery via the internet, you will need to add the acid to the battery and properly charge it prior to installing in your scooter. This is a simple process and should be performed in a well ventilated area wearing protective gloves and eye protection. I always purchase my batteries from Interstate Battery as they generally provide most OE motorcycle shops in the area with theirs and they stock Yuasa batteries and will discard your old battery free of charge. Good luck
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I have dealt with batteries for years restoring Corvairs, and am trying to avoid adding acid. The battery I posted above is a no maintenance battery.
Cam

Post by Cam »

Willie B wrote: Here's your issue, never place a battery on concrete or earth without placing it on a piece of wood. The floor acts as a conductor and zaps the energy from the battery. Placing the battery on a tender while placed on the floor did nothing in this scenario other than inflate your power bill and stimulate the worms under the slab.
Sorry...that ceased to be true around 1945.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/battery.asp

More likely it just got sulfated from too little use and no higher amp/higher voltage charging.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I ordered a Scorpion YT9A AGM, maintenance free from BatteryStuff.com, and it came today. They ship fully charged so I dropped it in, and the scoot started right up using the electric starter. The horn works properly as well. I guess the original battery was just toast.

http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports ... sYT9A.html
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Glad you got it sorted....
Wild Handyman

Post by Wild Handyman »

Based on the recommendations here, the feedback on the website, and having had to replace numerous pieces of clothing damaged by battery acid, I also ordered a YT9A Scorpion battery from batterystuff.com. Here's hoping it's a good product.