New Stella 4T Manual Owner

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

min2max

New Stella 4T Manual Owner

Post by min2max »

Just picked up this brand new beauty with sidecar yesterday. Total before tax came to $4,675. Took me a little time to get use to the shifting but am very happy. Took the wife and the dog for a ride in the sidecar and didn't want to go back home. Love it! Thanks to all of you for all your knowledge sharing as it helped me pick my perfect setup.

Red Genuine Stella with Red Rocket sidecar
Attachments
Stella001
Stella001
IMAG0755_1.jpg (118.84 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Nice...
CountryJustice

Post by CountryJustice »

My dog wants a sidecar in the worst way. 8)
bluebessie

Post by bluebessie »

Enjoy! I must say my 6 year old son wants me to get one just like it. That just looks like fun to own.
min2max

Post by min2max »

Thanks guys! Riding with the sidecar is not easy but it's a blast and definitely gets a lot of attention. The look on peoples faces and people actually yelling "COOL RIDE!" at you while going down the road can bring a smile to your face :)
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Congrats on the purchase! You should come ride down to Bloomington sometime and go on a ride with us :)
min2max

Post by min2max »

Thanks Yalzin. I will need to plan that after I get my motorcycle endorsement ...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Congrats and welcome.

If you haven't heard, Amerivespa, the biggest US scooter rally will be held in Indianapolis next year! We love seeing Genuines and sidecars at the rally. I've ridden Genuines at more Amerivespas than Vespas. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
min2max

Post by min2max »

Thanks ericalm! Amerivespa looks like fun. I wish I could start the mods but thinking of waiting 'til the warranty expires. That's gonna be tough for me. :twisted:
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Honest question because I've been drooooling over a sidecar my self (I even have enough to get it now)...

Hows a (I assume all stock) 4T handle as a tug?
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

I followed the instructions on this forum post -

http://modernvespa.com/forum/post200218#200218

- and it makes driving a sidecar 100% better. If there's one thing you should do its this. I did this on my stella with sidecar and you wouldn't believe the difference.

slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Welcome. It looks great!
min2max

Post by min2max »

Thanks djp4059! I just get some head shake at low speeds and was going to live with it until your post... now I have all the parts on order. Will need to get a steel plate and some nuts. Story of my life...

Did you have to do anything else but attached when assembled?
Thanks again for sharing!
djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

No there's nothing else to attach. There is one thing you will need to get, and thats a longer bolt. There are 2 bolts on the shock absorber bracket where you attach the bracket. One is longer then the other, you can use the longer bolt when you attach the bracket in place of the shorter bolt, and then you will need a longer bolt, about a quarter of an inch longer then the longer bolt, for where the longer bolt was. I hope you can understand what I just wrote. LOL At least thats what I had to do on my 2013 Stella 4T.

The only other thing I can suggest if you decide your not getting enough speed, power, etc. is to get a windshield for the scooter and take the windshield off of the sidecar. The windshield on the sidecar really slows you down.

I agree with you as far as people looking and talking to you when your out riding. Every time I take mine out people are just drawn to it. I can't go for a ride without someone giving me the thumbs up or wanting to talk. Just look around and see how many people are staring at you. Ive caused back-ups at intersections were nobodies paying attention to the traffic lights cause they're all looking at me and my two dogs.
min2max

Post by min2max »

slotrod65 Your 2-Tone scoot looks amazing.
min2max

Post by min2max »

@djp4059 - I just had to read it 3 times and stare at the picture to figure out what you were saying. :D

Did you end up making the bracket yourself?
djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

My brother made the bracket for me.

Also I just remembered, by looking at the picture, the main bracket that holds the sidecar to the scooter, the round one with the four big bolts, I would double nut those bolts as they seem to come loose once in a while.
min2max

Post by min2max »

I was hoping you would reply with "ebay! Here's the link." Looks like I'll have to dust of my leather gloves.
min2max

Post by min2max »

Finally got it all done and no more head shake at low speeds/braking. Love it!
Attachments
IMAG0912_1.jpg
IMAG0912_1.jpg (127.1 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
min2max

Post by min2max »

@EvilNerdLord You will want to go ride one to see how you like it. Hopefully there is a scooter meet around you that will have one...

I think it handles and pulls great considering the sidecar is pretty bulky. It affects top speed and of course you are mostly steering to make turns as well as leaning in big time on right turns. I am pleasantly surprised that the dampener attached to the front did not really change the steering at all.