Stella turn signal failure

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Halloweenie

Stella turn signal failure

Post by Halloweenie »

Hey all, I just picked up my new (to me) used Stella and was doing the once over. I noticed the rear turn signals are not working, but the front are functioning normally. Anyone know where I should look for the problem? Thanks for any help everyone!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Hmm. I would say replace your fuse, but if the other lights are working, then that's not it, is it.

My first place to look would be at the ends of each wire to ensure they are properly connected. If that's not the problem, then inspect the length of each wire to see if there are any bald spots from friction, especially at any points where the wires are bundled together with other wires. Other than simply replacing the wires, I suppose you'd need a voltmeter or something to find the short.

Hopefully, someone who's had her scooter longer than 1.5 months will chime in.... :oops:
ModBud #442
Shane Wilson

Post by Shane Wilson »

A couple of things to check:

1) If you remove the rear lens, you will see a metal strap on the rear signals. That strap is a ground. Make sure it's snug.

2) The rear signals get their juice via a connector on the front of the cowl that goes into a hole on the body. You might want to pull the cowls off and make sure that the connector is clean and there is no funk in hole.

3. There are two fuses to check. One under the horncast on the front of the bike and one next to the battery under your left cowl.

The thing I find interesting about your problem is that when I have a failure with one of my signals, it affects the other signal on that side. Mine won't flash unless both signals on a side are functioning properly.
Frankie 2 Tone

Post by Frankie 2 Tone »

You may also want to put some conductive grease in the cowl connection. It helps.....
Kickin' it hard to the Rock Steady Beat!!!!!!!!
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

I went and replaced the cowl wiring, and adjusted the hooks on the frame and now everything is ship shape and Bristol fashion!
dbringle

Post by dbringle »

I realize this post is old but it really helped with my problem. Especially checking the ground inside the turn signal. :D
woundedbreakfast

Post by woundedbreakfast »

I thought I'd add into this thread instead of creating my own. Checked everything that everyone listed above. It looks like I found the problem. The conductive doohickey inexplicably has come out/loose as pictured below (the right having the gold-colored conductive piece and the left missing it):

Any ideas where I can pick up a new one of these or do I have to buy a whole other ____ unit?

Thanks!
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

don't forget the obvious....burned out bulb.
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

woundedbreakfast wrote:I thought I'd add into this thread instead of creating my own. Checked everything that everyone listed above. It looks like I found the problem. The conductive doohickey inexplicably has come out/loose as pictured below (the right having the gold-colored conductive piece and the left missing it):

Any ideas where I can pick up a new one of these or do I have to buy a whole other ____ unit?

Thanks!
I had some turn signal issues although it was not due to this, jimmbomb might have a fix for this.

jimmbomb wrote:Look at the electrode that pokes into the hole in the body. On the inside of the cowl, youll see a single wire running from the light fixture to the electrode on the front end.
The tip of the electrode is what you want to look at closely.
It has a copper or aluminium tip on the very end. Sometimes these break off. Compare it to the working side..
If its broke off... I found an inexpensive way to fix it.
Check it out and report back.
Good luck
woundedbreakfast

Post by woundedbreakfast »

EvilNerdLord wrote:don't forget the obvious....burned out bulb.
Yes, having gone through times when I look at everything and the kitchen sink except the bulb, I've learned that's where I should go first... ;)
srbbnd wrote:
woundedbreakfast wrote:I thought I'd add into this thread instead of creating my own. Checked everything that everyone listed above. It looks like I found the problem. The conductive doohickey inexplicably has come out/loose as pictured below (the right having the gold-colored conductive piece and the left missing it):

Thanks!
I had some turn signal issues although it was not due to this, jimmbomb might have a fix for this.

jimmbomb wrote:Look at the electrode that pokes into the hole in the body. On the inside of the cowl, youll see a single wire running from the light fixture to the electrode on the front end.
The tip of the electrode is what you want to look at closely.
It has a copper or aluminium tip on the very end. Sometimes these break off. Compare it to the working side..
If its broke off... I found an inexpensive way to fix it.
Check it out and report back.
Good luck
That jimmbomb quote has me on the edge of my seat. What's the "inexpensive way to fix it."? Paging jimmbomb!

Thanks for pointing me to it.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

PM to--- woundedbreakfast--- about my solution to that broken tip..
I forgot to add that you can (i think) work that white tube insulator out of its hole to get it out with a pliers.. wiggle, twist and pull slowely..
you may not have to... but it's easier to insert the nail/wire thru it, then push it back into the mount once the nail/wire is in.
good luck and feel free to quote or make your own DIY if/when you're successful.

ps... whats with your nick name... wounded breakfast??? Dannngg/... bacon, eggs, fried potatoes.. with NO biscuits?? or toast???
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics