Anyone have any suggestions for a good cover for the Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DrScoot

Anyone have any suggestions for a good cover for the Buddy?

Post by DrScoot »

I unfortunately have to park my scoot outdoors as I am an apartment dweller now and was wondering if any of you have a good recommendation for a cover? I was thinking about getting just some generic cover but I would like to get maybe a scooter specific cover. I mainly want to get it so it is not just sitting there yelling steal me when I am not around, but the weather protection would be nice as well.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Duggle

Post by Duggle »

I ordered one of these http://www.compacc.com/p/oxford-aquatex ... ycle-cover Oxford Aquatex for a scooter with top box. My wife has a Buddy with one of those wicker-looking basket top boxes (which seems kind of big). I'm waiting for it in the mail, I'll update whether it fits the top box and if it seems ok.

http://www.scooterworks.com/rear-cargo- ... BjpdjotCYg
This is the basket, The scooterworks cover listed above says it will fit a top box up to 35L and I'm afraid this may be larger.
keltick

Post by keltick »

I picked up a 3 layer one from ebay for 20 bucks. I've been pretty happy with it. "thecarcover" was the seller.
Duggle

Post by Duggle »

Got the scooter cover in the mail yesterday. It fits the Buddy well, including the top box. The material is fairly light, not like my Honda cover, but has a strap underneath so I don't have to worry about it blowing off in strong wind. Seems like a nice cover and will do the job of keeping the Buddy clean and less sun-faded.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Hope it works out well.

I got the Prima cover when I got the scoot 3.5yrs ago. It's still holding up.

Pros: elastic around the base, plus connectible straps/bungees if I really feel the need to secure it underneath. Haven't yet.

Cons: it has a zip-out 'pocket' to accomodate a topcase, but if you don't have one, that extra bagginess tends to accumulate rainwater that seeps into the zipper. The cover also does not have a heat-resistent area on the bottom for a tailpipe, so I have to be careful not to get the cover on the pipe when I cover the scoot immediately after riding, then I have to come out later and tug it down over the pipe after things cool off.

Despite the cons, getting 3.5 years out of a cover (the scoot lives outdooors in all seasons) is not a bad thing.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
DrScoot

Post by DrScoot »

Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely be checking them out. I like the prima but that price seems a little too much for my tiny wallet, ill probably settle for on of the others.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

DrScoot wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely be checking them out. I like the prima but that price seems a little too much for my tiny wallet, ill probably settle for on of the others.

Save up. It's worth it.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I bought this one and wound up ordering another one. It worked on my little Yamaha C3 and now on my bigger Honda.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400593788175?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I too live in an apartment and my scooter has sat under this cover in a torrential downpour and stayed dry! Plus it has venting so that moisture does not build up under the cover. Elastic bands fore and aft and a cinch line to keep it from blowing off.

I keep one at home and one in my storage unit to keep off the spiders and stinkbugs!

:P
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
DrScoot

Post by DrScoot »

Haha I probably will save up for a better one, I'm just in the paranoid phase of just bought a scooter and am afraid of someone jacking it, yet at the same time don't have enough cash on hand to buy a nice one to possibly prevent/deter said theft.
DrScoot

Post by DrScoot »

Whimscootie wrote:I bought this one and wound up ordering another one. It worked on my little Yamaha C3 and now on my bigger Honda.

I like that one, looks good for the job! Do you know if it would fit a buddy 150? Im obviously new to this whole two wheel transportation thing lol
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

DrScoot wrote:
Whimscootie wrote:I bought this one and wound up ordering another one. It worked on my little Yamaha C3 and now on my bigger Honda.

I like that one, looks good for the job! Do you know if it would fit a buddy 150? Im obviously new to this whole two wheel transportation thing lol
Yes. I have it on my Honda Elite 110 and had in on my Buddy 125 with a basket on the back. Plenty big enough.

Here it is in the rain on my Honda Elite 110 with a basket, which has a bigger profile than a Buddy 150...
Attachments
IMG_0843.jpg
IMG_0843.jpg (158.51 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
tspinning

Post by tspinning »

Must say I'm not a big fan of my Prima cover. It fits the Buddy 125 w/ a milk crate on the back no issues there.

But it leaks. Even before the crate (just zipped shut) water would seep/soak through and the seat would be wet. Now with the crate and the expanded cover part, water still drips down/through the zipper seam part and dampens the seat.

I've taken to putting a trash bag over the seat and then the cover if it looks like rain/snow. On the upside it keeps the tree, bird, & squirrel shit off so that's nice. I also haven't had an issue with the hot pipe and cover material.
SF Pamplona

Post by SF Pamplona »

I also have the Prima cover on my Buddy. I am planning to spray it down with a rain guard treatment however. It won't make it 100% waterproof, but it will still help.