Barn Find. 2007 Majesty - to buy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoaringTodd

Barn Find. 2007 Majesty - to buy?

Post by RoaringTodd »

While cruising around my neighborhood I noticed a tarp had shifted from a motorcycle parked behind a house. It turned out to be a Majesty. I left a note with my number. The guy called me back and said it was a 2007 with 9,000 miles on it. Had been sitting since 2010. Only thing it "needs" is a new battery. He said he'd want $2,000 for it. I countered that since it hadn't been started in so long and had been sitting outside under a tarp best I might do would be $500. He was agreeable to that price. Has title as well. What do you think? Even if I spent another $500 on getting her fixed up, would that be a good deal?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

My heart says "yes", but the fact that the seller's willing to knock 75% off the price on the first offer kinda scares me a bit. Buying a vehicle that you can't at least start is always risky, but for 500 bucks, I'd bite. Barring any major gotchas, I figure:

Battery
New tires
Oil (and filter if is uses one)
Flush/fill/bleed brakes.
New brake pads.
Fuel filter
Air filter

Depending on the state of the fuel in it:

Flush tank and lines
Clean/rebuild carb

Why is it that whenever I find anything under a tarp it has a toe tag on it?

Damn!
Christophers

Re: Barn Find. 2007 Majesty - to buy?

Post by Christophers »

RoaringTodd wrote:What do you think? Even if I spent another $500 on getting her fixed up, would that be a good deal?
If you end up spending another $500 to get it fixed, then yes, you got a good deal. Assuming you mean you give it to your mechanic and it comes back running for less than $500.

As for the rest of the question... What if it doesn't run? How much will you be willing to give your mechanic? Do you have a place to store it? Do you have a place to store it and work on it? Do you really have a place to store it or is it going to bother someone else in the house? Lot's of questions. :)
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I'd go for it. It's a Yamaha and parts are still available. It might just need a jump start.

Flush out the fluids and replace them, inspect the tires for dry rot, and it should be fine.

Owner is probably just clueless and doesn't want to fool with it.

Your gain!
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
DeeDee

drain the tank and install new fuel pump

Post by DeeDee »

You can buy a quality replacement fuel pump less than $40.00 on ebay. It's fuel injected, so not near the problems you would have with a carbed engine sitting for 4 years.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Thanks for the reply - I have a friend who owns a motorcycle/scooter shop that I know I can take the Majesty to.

I just may bite. :D Will look at the oil/gas tank, and the overall condition. From what I could see, it looked to be in pretty good shape for being outside under a tarp all those years.

400cc's. What will I do with those extra 250cc's?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I would jump on that deal. People...except for a few of us...don't like to buy non-running bikes.

Yeah it's a gamble but figure that if you parted it out you could probably come close to breaking even. More than likely it's something fairly minor.

It may take some time and a few parts to get running...but when you do..it's a great feeling!

Some non running deals I've gotten:

79 P200 - $435 it would start but not shift. Cleaned and lubed the shifter tube, replaced fan side seal, fresh gas, filled the tranny with Marvel Mystery oil to break the clutch plates apart and I was riding it around the neighborhood an hour after getting it home.

09 B125 $330 - Needed a starter and a stator...that was it. Ran like a champ after that!

2011 Blur 220 - $1500. It was running...like crap. Seller had receipt for work done including belt and rollers. Got it home...rollers hadn't been changed and the wrong belt (too short) was installed. New belt, rollers, cleaned the clutch and it rocks!

"Extra" 250cc no such thing! :mrgreen:

Keep us updated Todd!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

That's a no brainer it's easily worth double in parts. If I were you I wouldn't be posting I'd be wrenching right now.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

RoaringTodd wrote:While cruising around my neighborhood I noticed a tarp had shifted from a motorcycle parked behind a house. It turned out to be a Majesty. I left a note with my number. The guy called me back and said it was a 2007 with 9,000 miles on it. Had been sitting since 2010. Only thing it "needs" is a new battery. He said he'd want $2,000 for it. I countered that since it hadn't been started in so long and had been sitting outside under a tarp best I might do would be $500. He was agreeable to that price. Has title as well. What do you think? Even if I spent another $500 on getting her fixed up, would that be a good deal?
My first reaction is to go for it. But after thinking about it I'd be suspicious as to why he came down so quickly from his asking price of $2,000 to your offer of $500 as 99.9% of all sellers would either make a counter-offer or show you the door. Have you seen the title? Do all the names and numbers match up with those on the scooter?

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
'08 250i Aprilia Sport City
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

If the paperwork is in order and there is no sign of repaired heavy collision damage, I'd be all over that thing.

A nice winter project that'll sell fast in the spring.

Rob
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

skipper20 wrote: My first reaction is to go for it. But after thinking about it I'd be suspicious as to why he came down so quickly from his asking price of $2,000 to your offer of $500 as 99.9% of all sellers would either make a counter-offer or show you the door. Have you seen the title? Do all the names and numbers match up with those on the scooter?
Of course check all the numbers. That should be standard practice for any buy. He tried to get a fair price for a running Majesty. It doesn't run.

I don't blame him for trying for the $2K but nobody is going to pony up that much scratch for a bike that doesn't work.

Not many people buy non-runners so he is probably trying to get whatever he can out of it instead of having it take up space for the next 3 years and then junking it. He will be happy with the $500 for something he doesn't want.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Crap.

After the phone conversation where he seemed open to $500 offer, when I showed up after work yesterday, his price suddenly went back to $2,000. I guess he did some homework between the call and the time I showed up.

Decided to pass on the scoot.

:(
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

RoaringTodd wrote:Crap.

After the phone conversation where he seemed open to $500 offer, when I showed up after work yesterday, his price suddenly went back to $2,000. I guess he did some homework between the call and the time I showed up.

Decided to pass on the scoot.

:(
Well part of the fun is in the hunt. Sometimes you win but in this case you didn't loose. I would call him again in a few weeks!
www.teamscootertrash.com

pattio

Post by pattio »

I know a guy who made a huge return parting out a burger van on ebay. The thing needed a cheap transmission part that was going to take 12 hours shop time to repair. He got it for hundreds, sold the parts for thousands. Normally I don't condone parting out bikes, its a little Sweeney Todd, but anything that takes another maxi-pad off the streets for a profit is OK with me.