2013 Stella 4T

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tavis.lovell

2013 Stella 4T

Post by tavis.lovell »

Man, it's almost comical how problematic this thing is. The problem was initially that after about 30-40 min of riding almost like clockwork it would start to bog down, then die as soon as I came to a stop light/sign. No amount of kick starting it would make a difference...until I figured out the following trick.

1. Take the spark plug completely out.
2. Do literally nothing to it.
3. Immediately put it back in.

Afterwards it will immediately start, but I usually have to ride the throttle to keep it going. Things I've tried instead of pulling the spark plug include.

1. unscrewing the gas cap and putting it back on before trying to start
2. pulling just he spark plug cap and then putting it back on

none of that seem to make any difference.

Recently it's decided to start making very loud pops when decelerating, and is much more apt to die on me earlier (although I should mention its been getting a tad cooler outside)

I dunno, any thoughts what could be causing this?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It's the evap system. Disconnect it, plug it.

I'll see if I can dig up a photo. It's the hose coming out of the tank at the top and ripening into a filter/valve.

The is a ridiculous system mandated by the state of California that simply doesn't work well with a scooter with design roots going back 50 years. But even modern scooters have issues with it.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

any update on this???
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics