Hooligan 170i

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Sailboat13

Hooligan 170i

Post by Sailboat13 »

Blown engine at 1002 miles. Was careful on breakin. They have had it for a month now and still waiting for rings and whatever. I have a 150 with 13,500 miles on it and no issues. Got about $3,800 wrapped up with this scoot. Sure hope it doesn't take too much longer to fix. :(
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Yikes! That's a short life for an engine!

Did you do the first oil change at 600 miles or sooner?

If you happen to get a full list or replacement parts from your dealer, please share. It would be educational to know what had failed.

I did a hard break-in on my '12 Kymco and it came out is strong shape. I made a point of doing heavy ring loading on acceleration and deceleration in the first 50 miles (after some gentile warm-up) and used full throttle range from there on out. The only caveat is that I checked my oil at 50, 100 and 200 miles and changed it at 200 and 600 miles before picking up the normal schedule. I've started the break-in on my '13 4T Stella in a similar manner; I hope she responds as well as the Yager did.

I hope you're on the road again soon!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Sailboat13

Post by Sailboat13 »

My first oil change was at 223 miles.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

The 170i is not a new engine for Genuine. Your issue does not seem to be a common one. Please let us know what the autopsy reveals.
KrispyKreme

Re: Hooligan 170i

Post by KrispyKreme »

Sailboat13 wrote:Blown engine at 1002 miles. Was careful on breakin. They have had it for a month now and still waiting for rings and whatever. I have a 150 with 13,500 miles on it and no issues. Got about $3,800 wrapped up with this scoot. Sure hope it doesn't take too much longer to fix. :(

Pictures or it did not happen.

What happened? How did it "blow?".
Sailboat13

Waiting for parts

Post by Sailboat13 »

It did happen and I don't care if you believe it or not. I was riding at speed and and it just started to loose power. I drifted to the side of the highway and it stalled before I was able to stop. When I lost power and before pulling to the side I noticed a big puff of smoke.
Went yesterday to my dealer to see what the holdup was and take a look at my scoot. There it sat torn down and looking pretty sad. Darn thing didn't even have a chance to get dirty. Dealer says their waiting on parts that been ordered for weeks now. They are fixing it under warranty. I'm worried because I leave for my Fl. home in Nov. and they have no way of knowing just how long it will take to get the parts they've ordered.
Elder Scoot

Re: Waiting for parts

Post by Elder Scoot »

Sailboat13 wrote:It did happen and I don't care if you believe it or not.
You and I just don't understand modern forum jargon. "Pictures or it didn't happen" is just a internet slang expression - not a challenge to credibility. The same thing was said to me a little while ago on another forum and then it was explained.

It sounds like your rings failed. The loss of compression and smoke as oil gets past the rings are classic signs.

Hopefully that is all.
Sailboat13

You and I just don't understand modern forum jargon

Post by Sailboat13 »

Guess your right,,,,,,I'll be 73 this Jan. That just about says it all. At least when I get back to FL. I'll have my 150 waiting for me. I miss my scooters like crazy. Kind of wish I would have taken a pic on my Hooli ,,,,wouldn't know how to load it here anyway.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I assume this will be covered under warranty?
Sailboat13

good warranty

Post by Sailboat13 »

Yes,,its covered.
TVB

Re: Waiting for parts

Post by TVB »

Elder Scoot wrote:You and I just don't understand modern forum jargon. "Pictures or it didn't happen" is just a internet slang expression - not a challenge to credibility. The same thing was said to me a little while ago on another forum and then it was explained.
As with many jokes, not everyone does it well.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

If Genuine has the parts in stock, your dealer should get them pretty quickly.
Sailboat13

shipping

Post by Sailboat13 »

They don't have any parts for that engine. Had to order everything from Taiwan ,,,dealer says.
Dooglas

Re: shipping

Post by Dooglas »

Sailboat13 wrote:They don't have any parts for that engine. Had to order everything from Taiwan ,,,dealer says.
I believe the engine in the Hooligan is the same as in the Buddy 170i. That casts some doubt on whether your dealer knows what he is talking about. (and your dealer wouldn't order anything from Taiwan in any event - he would order parts from Genuine Scooters in Chicago)
lovemysan

Re: shipping

Post by lovemysan »

Dooglas wrote:
Sailboat13 wrote:They don't have any parts for that engine. Had to order everything from Taiwan ,,,dealer says.
I believe the engine in the Hooligan is the same as in the Buddy 170i. That casts some doubt on whether your dealer knows what he is talking about. (and your dealer wouldn't order anything from Taiwan in any event - he would order parts from Genuine Scooters in Chicago)
The buddy is a short case. The hooligan is more of a long case. It's also possible that it's built on a "b case gy6" with 57mm stud spacing similar to the blur. The roughhouse motor is different from the buddy 50 several parts do not interchange. It could also be as simple as needing minor gaskets. But I would imagine they are waiting for a crank or a topend. Genuine was out of b125 cranks when I ordered in August. Had to wait an extra week. It happens. I know somebody that waited months for body parts after wrecking his week old new body style 05 f150.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
Sailboat13

Heck,,I don't know,lol

Post by Sailboat13 »

Maybe Genuine Scooters had to order the parts. Bet that's the case here.
Sailboat13

Parts are in (I think)

Post by Sailboat13 »

Went to my dealer today and they said they were to get the parts for my engine today. As I pulled in their lot a UPS truck was leaving. We went back to the work area and there were what they thought were my parts. (in boxes) While my scoot has been sitting there they had installed a new bracket and top case that I wanted and it looked really nice. I'm one that felt there wasn't enough storage room in my Hooli and had to wait until the new bracket for this scoot was manufactured. So,,,,it looks as though I might have my scoot back home soon. Hope Hope Hope!
Elder Scoot

Re: Parts are in (I think)

Post by Elder Scoot »

Sailboat13 wrote:Went to my dealer today and they said they were to get the parts for my engine today. As I pulled in their lot a UPS truck was leaving. We went back to the work area and there were what they thought were my parts. (in boxes) While my scoot has been sitting there they had installed a new bracket and top case that I wanted and it looked really nice. I'm one that felt there wasn't enough storage room in my Hooli and had to wait until the new bracket for this scoot was manufactured. So,,,,it looks as though I might have my scoot back home soon. Hope Hope Hope!
All is well that ends well. (Elder Scoot Proverb or Maybe Not).
KrispyKreme

Re: Parts are in (I think)

Post by KrispyKreme »

Sailboat13 wrote:Went to my dealer today and they said they were to get the parts for my engine today. As I pulled in their lot a UPS truck was leaving. We went back to the work area and there were what they thought were my parts. (in boxes) While my scoot has been sitting there they had installed a new bracket and top case that I wanted and it looked really nice. I'm one that felt there wasn't enough storage room in my Hooli and had to wait until the new bracket for this scoot was manufactured. So,,,,it looks as though I might have my scoot back home soon. Hope Hope Hope!

Genuine took care of it with a nudge........
ggs34

hoilgian

Post by ggs34 »

did you put full synthetic oil in at 600 miles? I have heard problem from my dealer. He used good dino oil for the first 1500 to 2000 miles to make sure everything is seated and broke in just food for thought
Sailboat13

Its fixed ,,,,I hope.

Post by Sailboat13 »

Well,,,,sitting waiting for my lady friend to take me over to my dealer and pick up my Hooligan. I think it has taken at least two months in the shop. They ended up installing a whole new engine. When they finally got all the parts they ordered their mechanic noticed a crack in the "housing" or some case or something. That is when Genuine decided to replace the engine. Would I have bought this scooter if I had know all that was going to happen ,,,,,maybe not, but I like my Hooligan and now we can start alllll over with the breakin. Dealer also install a bracket and and matching top case. When asking how much it was going to be he said "it's on us,,you've been through enough". Safe scootering my friends.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Glad it ended well. Good luck.
Bobcat

Post by Bobcat »

Problems are never fun but I'm still a bit envious of your sweet ride. My friend and I were both close to getting Hooligans then finally settled on Riots but I still have a strong liking to them.