Hand Grips Slipping

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Anotherbob

Hand Grips Slipping

Post by Anotherbob »

I just got a new Stella Auto. I'm new to scooting and this my first bike so I appreciate any tips you may have.

The throttle grip started slipping day one. The dealer clued me into hairspray but after three applications, I'm still having problems.

Do I continue to keep spraying the throttle tube until I build up enough layers or keep try something like 3m spay adhesive? Punt and buy new ones?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Here's a suggestion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGE0LsJupdc

I used to work in a pro shop (about 25 years ago, still can't golf worth a crap) and the golf pro used a similar method. Worked pretty well and I bet it'll work for a scooter too.
Last edited by az_slynch on Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
matto

Post by matto »

Motorcycle shops such as cycle gear will carry "grip glue". This will fix your problem. I would also recommend replacing the stock grips with some 24mm diameter Rubber px grips.

Apply a generous amount of grip glue and allow it to dry. Be careful not to let it drip out onto your paint like I did!
Anotherbob

Post by Anotherbob »

So, less then a magical solution then. I was hoping for something complicated that involved dissasembling something. :roll:

The underlying message is virtually any easy to remove adhesive will do and don't over think it.

Thanks very much to you both.
matto

Post by matto »

Cutting off the old grips with a box cutter is fun and satisfying!
Willie B

Post by Willie B »

Not sure which type of hairspray you're using, but white rain or the cheapest stuff you can find works best. Clean the grip thoroughly making sure to remove all residual from cleaner, then spray bar end and inside of the grip liberally with hair spray. Wait a moment for the hair spray to react with the grip, then slip it over the bar end and position to your liking. Let this set overnight in a warm area. The grip should be secure the following day. Using expensive hairspray, especially something water based will not work. Go to 7-11 or Walmart and buy the cheapest crap they have, this makes the best grip glue.
quen047

Post by quen047 »

matto wrote:Motorcycle shops such as cycle gear will carry "grip glue". This will fix your problem. I would also recommend replacing the stock grips with some 24mm diameter Rubber px grips.

Apply a generous amount of grip glue and allow it to dry. Be careful not to let it drip out onto your paint like I did!

Totally agree on getting the Rubber PX grips. The stock grips on my 4t literally started to melt after 2 months. The PX grips are much more robust
Wild Handyman

Post by Wild Handyman »

I was informed by my local motorcycle shop that the only hairspray that works to keep hand grips in place is Aquanet.
I bought a can to help keep my melting '12 Stella 4T grips in place until I order new grips.