Horn button failure?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EvilNerdLord

Horn button failure?

Post by EvilNerdLord »

ok folks,
My horn doesn't 'horn'..press the button, nothing...
unscrewed the switch assembly, looked at it, everything looked secure, tight and corrosion free, tested as it was hanging free..sounded off loud and clear, put everything back together...nothing again...wtf?!?! ...took it apart again, tried it hanging free, NOW there's nothing.

Looking at the wiring diagram in SOM and the SSM, the horn circuit is very simple and straight forward...the only things that can go wrong is switch, the horn itself (connections or mechanical failure on either) or a short.

Put it all back together to ride to work the next day (today) so I jump on here ask you all....
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Did you test the circuit or check voltage?

When you press the button or switch your high/low beams, are there any other electrical oddities?

My switch went bad at some point; replaced under warranty. Fine ever since.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

ericalm wrote:Did you test the circuit or check voltage?

When you press the button or switch your high/low beams, are there any other electrical oddities?

My switch went bad at some point; replaced under warranty. Fine ever since.
I was going to dig out the multimeter this weekend. but there seems to be no other glitches...high/low beams switch ok, turn signals are ok (even that gawds awful buzzer), brake light and switches (front/ reaar) are ok, all the speedo lights go on/off as their suppose too.
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Finally had a chance to go over things with the 'ol multimeter.
So, key in and turned on (not running)...no power to either wire going to switch.
Key in and running, still no power to either lead...

Everything else lights, blinks, etc and the battery is OK.

I get the feeling there might be either a fuse or loose connection some where.

Any one have an idea where to go now?
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

ok...
Got tired of spending hours trying to track down where the problem was..(probing with multimeter AND takiing the horn itself to autoparts store and THEY hooked the horn to a MC battery)

first, I got no power TO the horn, making me think there was a problem somewhere between the horn and battery...

second test, Power TO horn, but NOT out to switch...made me think the horn was blown.

third test, power in, power out but nothing at the switch itself..made me think the switch or their was a break somewhere in between....
:?
screw it...I hauled it down to my dealer/shop to have them tackle it...

GAWD I hate electrical gremlins...) everything else is fine, but not having a horn is rather important to me.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

OK....
found out from the shop what happened with the horn....

In that octopus of wires that goes from the top under the speedo down the tube to behind the horncast...my horn wire got pinched.

All fixed, no charge....

8)