Front Brake Chatter?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Johnny O

Front Brake Chatter?

Post by Johnny O »

Anyone else have front brake chatter? My 2012 4T is still pretty new (<600 miles) and when traveling at almost any speed any applying light brake pressure the brakes chatter quite loudly. No issues stopping, but I'm really getting sick of the noise.

There is no abnormal wear on the disk, and no unusual buildup of dust. I've been trying to wear down the pads faster, but I think they might be somewhat glazed causing the issue. I'm thinking about swapping out pads and seeing what happens. Anyone else have this issue?
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

I had some squeaking from my front brakes after the first few thousand miles and then it subsided. I only recently replaced my front brakes at the about 11K miles once they started making a grinding sound. They were pretty much down to the metal and not much brake compound left
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
DanielDCB

Post by DanielDCB »

I, too, have what feels like a warped disc. Both of the 4Ts that were in the shop when I asked about it had at least some vibration in the front brake also. My dealer said Genuine denied any replacements. It bothers me, but not quite enough to purchase a new disc.
khalid

Post by khalid »

very nice :lol:
You can easily check out our high quality Berkeley College which prepares you well for the real 642-887 pdf.
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

I don't believe this to be a warped disc. I think the pads when lightly compressed are hitting a resonance between catching on the disc and slipping. Are any brake compounds available that are not OEM? Since I bought this machine in early 2014 and its a 2012 I think there might be some embrittlement of the brake compound from lack of use. I think changing the pads should solve the problem.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Is it possible the sound generated as the holes in the rotor pass within the pads is being interpeted as chatter?

Sort of a baseball card in the spokes (only quieter) type of sound is somewhat normal.

Rob
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

Unless I really grab the front brake, I have this chatter/vibration also.
Seems to be more pronounced when I have the rear brake applied as well.
nysheepy

Squeal

Post by nysheepy »

My Roughhouse scooter is new (3 weeks old ~ 80 miles).
The front brake is already making a light squeal / whistle noise. Only when light pressure is applied at moderate speeds and its doesn't make the noise consistently. Maybe the brake pads just need some warming up throughout a ride?
I'm boggled about what it could be.
az_slynch

Re: Squeal

Post by az_slynch »

nysheepy wrote:My Roughhouse scooter is new (3 weeks old ~ 80 miles).
The front brake is already making a light squeal / whistle noise. Only when light pressure is applied at moderate speeds and its doesn't make the noise consistently. Maybe the brake pads just need some warming up throughout a ride?
I'm boggled about what it could be.
You have drilled rotors. You'll get that soft whizz/whistle sound when braking. The application of a pad to a rotor creates a bit of dust and gas pressure; the drillings allow these by-products to evacuate from between the pad and rotor surface. Solid rotors won't whistle, but that dust and gas pressure gets trapped between the pad and rotor and can cause brake fade.

Given the choice between a bit of noise or a bit of brake fade, I'd learn to stop worrying and love the buzz... :wink:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

Just to clarify, this is more than the drilled rotor "buzz" you are speaking of, I'm talking full front end, handle bar rattling, chatter.

Car brakes can get this when they glaze over from high temp i.e. heavy use. I'm guessing I'm seeing the same thing. I'll change the pads over the winter and I'll post in the spring with the results.

Thanks for the input!
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

I noticed I had some squeaking and "chatter" with less than a few hundred miles on my scooter. It stopped when I put a cover on my scooter. I think it was the small amounts of rust that would accumulate. However, after a little bit of driving and usage of my front break it would stop. Now I only get squeaking and a little chatter after the first initial few minutes with a cover. That is just my experience. I live in a very humid and wet environment. If you are somewhere like Arizona I doubt it would be rust and similar.
hobbyfossi201

Post by hobbyfossi201 »

I had the same behaviour until I sandend both the disc and the Pads slightly.

My Mechanic told me that this occures when disc and pads are to smooth like Glass.

So far it helped and didn't come back again!