Virbration at certain RPMs Stella 4t

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jkblaq

Virbration at certain RPMs Stella 4t

Post by jkblaq »

Hi guys,
I took a little (20 min) ride yesterday and took on some pretty large hills. Since this ride, I have notice alot of vibration during low RPMs. For example if I am in 2nd and just cruising in the band, the engine vibrates much more heavily than it has in the past (only had it for about a month). But it also seems to happen while cruising in 3rd and 4th too.

After the ride I did a check of all the bolts and tire pressure and all seemed good.

Does this sound normal? Perhaps I finally got it up to temp with my longer than average drive?
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Are you sure it's the engine? Check the exhaust for cracks, especially the mounting plate. If there's a small crack there, it can make the normally quiet exhaust rattle like the dickens and make a whole lot of noise and vibration, especially in the lower gears. I just had mine replaced about seven weeks ago due to such a crack and noticed last night that the new exhaust is already developing the same thing!
jkblaq

Post by jkblaq »

No not certain its the engine, I will have to check that out. Would the crack be obvious, is that the mounting plate under the foot area or at the engine? I did inspect the exhaust and it had no movement by hand but that would not rule out vibration at speed. I did suspect the exhaust at first but could not find anything on initial inspections. Sounds like I need to give a more thorough look.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

This is the bit I'm referring to.

Look at that part and wiggle the exhaust a bit. Check both sides. You'll see the crack if that's what it is.
jkblaq

Post by jkblaq »

Wow. Thanks so much for the Pic! I appreciate the help, I will check tonight when I get home.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

I've noticed this, too. It's just the nature of a high RPM single cylinder engine. Certain RPMs create vibrations at certain frequencies that are "in-tune" with the rest of the bike and are more noticeable than others.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I would check more than the exhaust... I routinely work my way around the scoot tightening nuts and bolts. Nearly any part can shake loose. Lock tite is your friend here.
jkblaq

Post by jkblaq »

Finally checked the exhaust and other miscellaneous nuts everything looks good. Must just be me, took a few more rides and commutes and still noticed the vibration but maybe Im just over analyzing it.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Pull down on exhaust too. When u dont have the vibrations a broken weld will be seated up high as if it isn't broken. Mine shook so long and was misdiagnosed till it finally broke off at the pipe. Also mine broke not where it's pointing there, but where the flat part welds on.. Genuine replaced for me and hasn't rattled a bit since.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The other weak point in the exhaust is the collar welded on under the header. You would probably have other symptoms if that were the case.

Have you checked your tire pressure?

Is the vibration accompanied by a noise?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jkblaq

Post by jkblaq »

Tire pressure is good, and no other abnormal noises. I guess one thing I did change was the gas I used. I went to a place that uses 10% ethanol, when normally I go to Shell and get the good stuff. But not sure that would do anything related to vibration. It really does not seem like anything abnormal now. Thanks for all the reply's.

Today, I replaced the clutch cable for the first time, not too bad. Just hope I tightened the nipple enough, does it stop turning when its tight? I couldn't seem to get it to stop turning.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Just to throw in my experience, but I noticed that I had a vibration as well, particularly around certain speeds or RPMs.

Turns out it was the spring on my rear shock vibrating at those RPMs.

Mechanic suggested getting rubber inserts that will dampen the vibration. I'm not sure if I should do that, or replace the shock/spring.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Turns out no auto parts store around here has any idea about those vibration rubber thingies the mechanic talked about.

Also - update! Seems my exhaust cracked along that same seam. Hooray Warranty!
hewl35

Post by hewl35 »

[quote="Yalzin"]Turns out no auto parts store around here has any idea about those vibration rubber thingies the mechanic talked about.

Try looking at McMaster Carr website under vibration isolators.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Yalzin wrote:Turns out no auto parts store around here has any idea about those vibration rubber thingies the mechanic talked about.

Also - update! Seems my exhaust cracked along that same seam. Hooray Warranty!
Told you so. :P
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

I'll get some pictures of the length of the crack from the old exhaust soon enough. The new exhaust solved some of the worst of the vibration! (Though getting the shop's torque wrenches on the exhaust nuts was a PITA...)

Luckily, Donna is still musical - seems that my kickstand springs are vibrating and hitting against the exhaust. They did it with the old exhaust, seem to do it with the new exhaust. Hrm.
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

I had the same problem. If I remember correctly, the engine would begin to vibrate around 25 mph in 2nd, 35 mph in 3rd, and 45 mph in 4th. It would smooth out above and below those speeds.
As it was just past the warranty, Genuine offered to do a complete engine tear-down, with me picking up the tab for an unknown amount of labor and them paying for parts. In hindsight, I should have taken them up on the offer as the engine crapped out about a 1,000 miles later.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

the Stella 2T I had used to buzz more than a pissed off bumble bee! common due to the metal sheet construction without dampening materials...
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Exhaust - replaced (hooray)

But now...

http://youtu.be/i_gIhkUJ3uQ