Buddy 150 dead starter -- how to save some dough

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

siobhan

Buddy 150 dead starter -- how to save some dough

Post by siobhan »

I don't treat my 2008 St. Tropez Buddy 150 very well. It's abused, ridden hard, forced to go out in the snow and blazing heat, and basically, looks like shite. But it tends to always start.

Last week he would make a whirring sound in the morning, a couple of kicks on the f'd up kickstarter (which needs to be taken apart and realigned), and it would start with the electric start. In the afternoon after work, same thing.

Got to the point where I ordered a new battery, even tho' the current one is new as of January 1014. Figured I haven't been giving Franz long rides; been doing that on the Elite 250 and the motos so maybe I burned through the battery quickly.

Replaced the battery on Thursday. Went to ride him this morning (Sunday). Same "whirl zap grrrr silence" sound.

"Shit shit shit, it's the starter! Gaaaah, it's always out of stock. Shit!"
That was what I yelled in the garage as the cheese was sitting in the driveway on the "lent to me Vespa GTS 300" that I was returning via letting the cheese ride it to Wil's place.

Kick, kick. Get Franz going. I'm furious. I knew all along it was the starter and I shouldn't have ordered a new battery for 60 bucks when the old one was fine.

Head on over to Wil's place to return the Vespa, with a million detours because, doh!, it's the Columbus Day Parade on Atwells.

Get home, pull the starter out, run some 400 grit sandpaper over vital parts, pop it back in, whirrrrrrrrrrrrls to life! Saved meself $149! And an extra battery that I can throw in the old Vespa P.

Hope this helps someone else save some dough.

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Great thread! Thanks for posting that. I just put a link to it in our General Maintenance Forum. Thanks again and great to see you back on modern Buddy. I was afraid you put a deposit on a KTM 390 and rode off into the sunset.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Baby Duke is still not yet available in the US. Latest I heard was April/May 2015 with no price. I'm currently thinking, pick up a used Husqvarna TE310 (because I blew up yet another Suzuki, this time a DR350) and get the new Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro edition or a KTM 690 Duke as a bigger, more highway-friendly bike.

I've never had a new moto and had been planning on doing a purchase in 2015. If that Duc is a beauty in person (going to the New York IMS in December), I'll have it in my garage. The Monster 800 engine is bullet-proof. It'd be my first FI bike!