Milestone reached!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stilts

Milestone reached!

Post by Stilts »

And a literal one! I could not have planned it better. I turned 10k miles as I was pulling into the garage this morning. Felicia and I have been through a lot: 3 minor accidents, a broken spark plug, the oil filter cover incident, and a whole lot of long distance riding.

Here's to 10,000+ more!

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Nice!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Congratulations! Nice to see that 4Ts can go the distance.

Not to sound like a wet blanket, but RondoTheMidget had an not-fully-specified engine failure around this mileage. I did note on the LMLOCGB forum that there was mention of the engines needing a timing chain replacement at 18,000 kilometers, which is a little over 11,000 miles. Perhaps this was his issue? Anyway, just keep that in mind so you have many more happy miles with Felicia!
Last edited by az_slynch on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

az_slynch wrote:Congratulations! Nice to see that 4Ts can go the distance.

Not to sound like a wet blanket, but RondoTheMidget had an not-fully-specified engine failure around this mileage. I did note on the LMLOCGB forum that there was mention of the engines needing a timing chain replacement at 18,000 kilometers, which is a little over 11,000 miles. Perhaps this was his issue? Anyway, Just keep that in mind so you have many more happy miles with Felicia!
There was some start-up issues today but I think that has to do with a bit of a fouled plug, which I will replace when I get home. I've experimenting with some jetting over the past few weeks and was running a bit rich. I should be getting a new RAM air filter later this week or early next (it's in the mail!) so I'll get to have some carb tuning fun in the coming days.

As for the timing chain, I was able to take a gander at that last month when I had to pop the head off to dig that broken plug out and the chain looked perfect, but looks can, of course, be deceiving. I'll keep an eye on it.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Awesome, you give me hope sir. Hope that maybe one day my scooter will reach the same. I had my doubts at first, but it has been solid for the past few months.
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

It's the small milestones that define our lives.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Congratulations, friend! Seeing Felicia, I can say she's got character, and now has the miles to go with the character.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

Congratulations on the milestone. Have your miles primarily been from runs to the store, joy rides and weekend trips, or commuting?
I also put over 10,000 miles on a 125 Buddy, commuting with both. In my experience, I think the PGO engine is more suited for use as a daily commuter and the 4T LML is best for pleasure riding. It's a matter of getting the right tool for the job.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

rondothemidget wrote:Congratulations on the milestone. Have your miles primarily been from runs to the store, joy rides and weekend trips, or commuting?
I also put over 10,000 miles on a 125 Buddy, commuting with both. In my experience, I think the PGO engine is more suited for use as a daily commuter and the 4T LML is best for pleasure riding. It's a matter of getting the right tool for the job.
In the eighteen months I've owned her (getting her with 337 mi on the odo), the 10k miles included a daily 5 mile (one way) commute through the city year round, lots of trips to to store, 50+ mile weekend rides most every Saturday when I'm free, and monthly 120+ mile treks to various rallies in the mid-Atlantic.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Congratulations to both you and Felicia! :clap:
quen047

Post by quen047 »

And I thought I was riding mine a lot- 7200 miles in almost exactly two years of mostly commuting, some longer rides to North Bay and now East Bay. Congrats! It's good to know the 4t's have it in them for that kind of use.