Headlight, Fuel Gauge and Starter Issues- 2005 Stella 2T

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Clipper

Headlight, Fuel Gauge and Starter Issues- 2005 Stella 2T

Post by Clipper »

Hi all, I'm new here. I recently acquired a 2005 Stella 2T.

Here's my issue(s): The starter, headlight and fuel gauge don't work. From the wiring diagram it looks like all three are fed by the grey line from the AC/DC regulator. So *maybe* it's one problem instead of three separate ones?

I really don't care about the starter (kicking is fine) or the fuel gauge (use the reserve) but the headlight is required to pass inspection and driving at night and generally being seen by others, so that's a must.

I checked and the bulb is fine and the fuse looks good. The previous owner said something about the 'cut out' relay to the starter being bad but that sounded more like it was just a guess.

I'm wondering if I might draw on your collective wisdom/experience to help shed some light on this? Any help is appreciated.

FWIW- I have a bit of experience around scooters and bikes. I also own a 1954 Ariel and a 1967 Velo-Solex. Previously I've owned a 1974 Vespa 150 and a 1965 BSA Lightning. So I'm used to trouble shooting and I'm not afraid to dig around and get my hands dirty.
Willie B

Post by Willie B »

I'm assuming the tail and brake lights, turn signals and horn are functioning properly?
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

Willie B wrote:I'm assuming the tail and brake lights, turn signals and horn are functioning properly?
Yes, those are functioning. As is the neutral indicator.
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

Update: I just spent a few hours with the wiring inside the handlebars. I had a loose power wire to the headlamp thumb switch. Reattached it but then only the high beam would work. Checked the switch and it was ok. If I connected the high beam wire to the low beam on the lamp, it worked. Finally traced the problem to the low beam indicator bulb inside the speedo console. Apparently the wires going in were getting crushed together creating a short.

Basically a domino effect. And I still have no fuel gauge or starter motor but I can live with that for now. Silly me for thinking I could resolve three issues with one shot.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Clipper wrote:Basically a domino effect. And I still have no fuel gauge or starter motor but I can live with that for now. Silly me for thinking I could resolve three issues with one shot.
Fuel gauge is probably the sender in the tank. It's a rheostat and it's prone to getting cruddy inside.

For the starter, remove the horn cover (one Phillips screw behind the "G" logo and two in the glovebox on either side of the steering column) and check by the PRD relay. There's a fuse there that isn't documented in the wiring diagram. Check that fuse and check the connections to the PRD. The only other likely candidate would be the clutch switch (which is wired through the headset).
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

az_slynch wrote:
Fuel gauge is probably the sender in the tank. It's a rheostat and it's prone to getting cruddy inside.

For the starter, remove the horn cover (one Phillips screw behind the "G" logo and two in the glovebox on either side of the steering column) and check by the PRD relay. There's a fuse there that isn't documented in the wiring diagram. Check that fuse and check the connections to the PRD. The only other likely candidate would be the clutch switch (which is wired through the headset).
Thanks for the heads up wrt to fuse by the PRD!