Blur Performance Modifications (Will edit 1st page) edited 2

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

relenger

Blur Performance Modifications (Will edit 1st page) edited 2

Post by relenger »

Alright guys. Its getting warm out and time to get the scooter out. This is going to be a LONG process but it will get done. It will take even longer since no one else has done to many mods. On top of that there isn't really any mods. Unless you can read a different language. So I'm sure there will be a lot of trying & wasting of money(My Fav) This will also be tuff because I think this scooter is already built really good when it comes to performance. Here is a list of a few goals (Will get edited as time goes on)

Top speed 90MPH GPS (already Done on the GMAX) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mKb_ukm3Jo

Better sounding exhaust. Like this or at least close to it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xKJIdvNd38

Lighting (I already have HID, which I honestly think gets other drivers attention)

Lowering it with adjustable suspension. (I might not do this, Depends on stock suspension travel)

I'm going to look into E85. I have had GOOD results on my turbo'd cars I have built. I just fear the gas tank is not large enough with E85 and a modded engine.

As soon as the weather gets nice out I will hook up a Accelerometer to my bike and do a few test runs in stock form to see what she does.

(This first post will get edited as I add and modify the bike. So don't skip it)

after checking out the power band on the bike I see why a higher speed is hard to reach. the bike puts out maximum power right about 7K. the bike pulls good till about 7K. then it is a slow climb from there. Im only looking for 90 to be a Top speed. if it can hold a steady 75 ill be happy. it is just nice to know at 65 its not going all out.

After looking at the stock Air box I decided to install a cold air intake. The stock box has a snorkel tube that is extremely small in size. I believe this is choking the engine at high RPM when the engine cant breath it will stop or start to lose power. The cold air did make the bike much louder. but the noise makes it feel safer. people hear me coming now. I guess that is why they say "Loud pipes save lives"
It has been a while now and over 1,000 miles with the cold air intake. The bike runs Great!! The top end speed on this bike is 87MPH(Blur speedo) at 87 the bike hits the rev limiter at 9,500RPM. The bike will pull me to 82MPH 9,000RPM and hold it there on the highway. over all I am pleased with this upgrade. See the photo's below.

Here is a video of my Blur on the highway WITH a cold air filter on it.
If you want to know how loud and what a cold air filter feels like just remove the COVER to your air filter box. LEAVE THE FILTER IN! the suction from the engine will hold the filter in. Go for a test drive. I believe the bike lost some low end power but CLEARLY gained top end power. I hit 9K all the time and hold it. I can hit 9500k and bounce off the rev limiter. I have been running a cold air for a while now and the bike runs good. Side note, If you do the open air box test note the bike needs about 2hrs to re adjust fuel trim before you really feel it.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IYG182mbnBA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is some more information I found on motorcycle EFI systems.
See attached file EFI

Below is a file I found on the net. I believe its the blur emissions test sheet. It had about 200 bikes on there. I removed them all but the blur
Attachments

[The extension xls has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

EFI.txt
EFI
(3.01 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Last edited by relenger on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 14 times in total.
kenbike

Post by kenbike »

I am out west of you and picked up a 2011 Blur last year. Really wanted to mod my Blur but found it was tougher than expected. I have installed a D&D Racing slip on from a Duc 900 and it is not bad. I taking mine in soon for the 800 mile first service and will try Dr pulley sliders I purchase from Buggy parts. I feel the air cleaner is a good option and going to install a resistor in the air pressure sensor to trick the ecu into thinking it is traveling at higher speed with more air being forced into the engine so it should add more fuel. BMW bikes are modded in this nature all the time.
Send me a PM and We can exchange info so can get our scoots running better.
Rush

Post by Rush »

I'd be happy with some improved highway performance and brighter lights. Guess all the work gets done in Ohio.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

I can't see 90mph as a reasonable top speed on this motor. Mine tops out around 65mph if the radar units I drive by can be believed. I weigh 175lbs. You would need a ton more power to get to 90mph.
Terr Bear

Post by Terr Bear »

I think I would stay away from the E85. I ran Alcohol in my racing go kart. Ran great on it but with the aluminum engine the oil would look like a milk shake after only about 10 laps.
I assume the Blur engine is aluminum. E85 is not pure alcohol like I raced with, but aluminum and alcohol do not play well together.

Everything else sounds cool though. I like the better sounding exhaust idea.
"When your racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." Steve Mc Queen "Le Mans"
relenger

Post by relenger »

after checking out the power band on the bike I see why a higher speed is hard to reach. the bike puts out maximum power right about 7K. the bike pulls good till about 7K. then it is a slow climb from there. Im only looking for 90 to be a Top speed. if it can hold a steady 75 ill be happy. it is just nice to know at 65 its not going all out.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

relenger wrote:after checking out the power band on the bike I see why a higher speed is hard to reach. the bike puts out maximum power right about 7K. the bike pulls good till about 7K. then it is a slow climb from there. Im only looking for 90 to be a Top speed. if it can hold a steady 75 ill be happy. it is just nice to know at 65 its not going all out.
I will be watching what you do and copy if it works as 65mph is pretty sad IMHO. My 150cc TGB with 10hp wasn't much slower than my 220cc Blur.
Rush

Post by Rush »

I'd be interested in seeing what can be done to get a more aggressive "sport scooter" riding position.

Forget the unseat compartment. Get the seat as low as possible. Position more more weight on the front wheel. Get the handlebars more in the clip-on/clubman position - lower and forward.
Tuck the feet back.

Similar to these-
http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/20 ... -tmax.html
http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/honda/t ... fe-risque/
http://www.gizmag.com/ebay-tron-lightcy ... re/117022/

Perhaps larger diameter wheels.
relenger

Post by relenger »

Thursday I shot down the highway and tucked to see how fast I could get it up to. The Speedo said 85mph. Almost at 9K. It took a minute to get there. Once I got past 8k I could really feel the engine struggling. I'll make a video next week of the 85mph. I wonder what actual is at 85?
Attachments
G-MAX-220-001.jpg
G-MAX-220-001.jpg (64.39 KiB) Viewed 5490 times
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

relenger wrote:Thursday I shot down the highway and tucked to see how fast I could get it up to. The Speedo said 85mph. Almost at 9K. It took a minute to get there. Once I got past 8k I could really feel the engine struggling. I'll make a video next week of the 85mph. I wonder what actual is at 85?
Here is yet another poster saying they got to 85 on the speedo. My scooter won't even get to 70 no matter how long I am at full throttle. I think I have a lemon.
kenbike

Post by kenbike »

I have 600 miles on a 2011 and 73 mph on the speedo is topped out.
I wish it would hit 85!
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Yep- HUGE variation in performance with this motor.
relenger

Post by relenger »

chickdr wrote:Yep- HUGE variation in performance with this motor.

16Hp is not a lot of power when it has to push a 350lbs bike plus rider weight to 85mph. I'm only 140lbs. I had to tuck to see 85mph. I also had a good breeze to my back and slightly down hill. The bike would not hold 85mph. I did try a second time to MAX out the bike but only hit 75ish. From the Dyno sheet I posted earlier in this post you can clearly see after 7K the power really drops off making 85mph almost impossible to hit as it does not have what it takes. I believe the Small intake is really choking the bike at High RPM. I have a cold air intake coming this coming week to see if I can get the power band to move up to 8K. I need to figure out how to attach my cell phone to the bike so I can use it as a accelerometer to do some testing with the filter and other add on's. I don't lie using the old "butt'o meter" because it lies.
Attachments
PGOGMAX220DYNOJET86.jpg
PGOGMAX220DYNOJET86.jpg (63.27 KiB) Viewed 5465 times
relenger

Post by relenger »

Here is a video of me hitting 86Mph

http://youtu.be/HyOaow9wQr0
Rush

Post by Rush »

I can hit 84-86mph indicated but given that my speedo is 15% optimistic it equates to 72-73mph which is pretty consistent with other's experiences on the Blur 220i.

Just check ur speed with a gps.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Well maybe my speedo is just more accurate then. I would love to ride with another Blur whose speedo says 85mph and see if it really is the same top end as mine...
relenger

Post by relenger »

I still need to do a GPS test. I know I'm not actually going 86Mph because the speed limit is 65 and I'm still one of the slower vehicles on the road. I'd say I'm near 70-75
Last edited by relenger on Sun May 19, 2013 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenbike

Post by kenbike »

Did the new cold air kit come in and what type of kit did you find????
relenger

Post by relenger »

I did get the filter but I have not had a chance to install it. I rode my blur from Cleveland Ohio to Jackson Michigan. The seat SUCKS for long hauls. Don't worry I took country roads and enjoyed the scenes. Took about 5hrs. When I got here I checked out a few things. Here are some pictures. My scoot has 2,000miles on it.
kenbike

Post by kenbike »

Pics not attached?
relenger

Post by relenger »

kenbike wrote:Pics not attached?
My internet is being dumb. I'll upload them tonight.
relenger

Post by relenger »

See attached photo's below
Last edited by relenger on Tue May 21, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenbike

Post by kenbike »

So how does the new air cleaner and drive gear work out?
What did you install?
How loud is the intake noise and did you loose low end power?

In this case a picture is not worth a 1000 words!
relenger

Post by relenger »

kenbike wrote:So how does the new air cleaner and drive gear work out?
What did you install?
How loud is the intake noise and did you loose low end power?

In this case a picture is not worth a 1000 words!

I only installed the intake and went for a test drive around the block. I would like to meet up with you and do a comparison video of the noise difference. I did make a video of it but you couldn't get a feel for how loud it was. I am going to build "Cell Phone Holder" that will bolt to the old turn signal bracket under the handlebar's to measure G-Forces.

I will be installing the old air box and testing it along with the cold air. I want to make a new Intake Pipe to move the filter under the seat area and out of harms way. it is going to be a long process. if you look at the following picture you can see only part of the PADS on the clutch are actually hitting the bell housing. with 2000miles I thought it would be more worn. They look new.

The Filter after I installed it

Image[/img]

For some reason there was Grease in the clutch bell housing. If you look close you can see it. I wiped it out. Seem to help with the clutch. I don't know were it came from. I didn't notice any grease on anything else.

This is where I plan to move the filter. I need to figure out where those rubber hoses go that are attached to the tube and either remove them or make a custom tube.

relenger

Post by relenger »

A video showing the cold air. Its hard to tell how loud it really is but you get the point.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Kt5yk7jeREk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
davelhunter

Any gains?

Post by davelhunter »

Any performance gains from just the filter?
relenger

Re: Any gains?

Post by relenger »

davelhunter wrote:Any performance gains from just the filter?
I don't want to say because I have no solid evidence that it is faster. However, my butt'o meter says it has more torque. It seems to pull all the way to 8500rpm. I actual hit the rev limiter today. I feel that the exhaust is choking it up now.
I would not recommend buying a filter based on what my but'o meter says though. As soon as I figure out how to mount my phone ill use the accelerometer to test it.
relenger

Post by relenger »

Throttle body pics.

kenbike

Post by kenbike »

What is your plan for the TB? We need to get together and compare notes!
relenger

Post by relenger »

kenbike wrote:What is your plan for the TB? We need to get together and compare notes!
No plans other then taking pictures and figuring out what I got to work with.

This is what I believe to be the fuel cut off. It is located on the front of the bike.

I Also removed the PAIRS system. You do need to leave the solenoid or you may throw a CE'

And finally my new cold air. I need to fix a few things but its close.

relenger

Post by relenger »

Alright guys. I'm trying to figure out how to mount my phone. Any ideas? Pics? Need ideas.
kenbike

Post by kenbike »

Check out Touratech sells all kinds of brackets to mount phones on their site. You may be able to fab a bracket based upon these types. Could you just install under the seat in the pet carrier?
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

From the photo above it seems you actually put the air intake in an area which is hotter than stock. Wouldn't that decrease performance due to higher intake air temperature? I assume it looks better as you must have removed the stock clunky air box? Any photos of the bike from a distance?
ScootCorps

Post by ScootCorps »

did you happen to measure the OD of the throttle body intake side openning? I'm looking to do something similiar with something like these:
http://adrenalinpedstop.blogspot.com/20 ... artek.html
or
http://www.racingplanetusa.com/scootert ... 448-1.html
relenger

Post by relenger »

I thought I had replied to this. No I didn't measure! I'm not sure why I didn't? That was one of the reasons I took it off. Lol.
ScootCorps

Post by ScootCorps »

That's ok, i actually had measured since that post but have also just gotten married so I completely forgot what the measurements were. I will follow-up and get the measurements and also post my test results (butt-o-meter) for several methodical intake mods I have tried to see what provides the best improvements and where/what the improvements are.
I want to say OD was 50mm.
relenger

Post by relenger »

I think your right. I think I got a 52mm cold air intake but I will measure my old intake box when I get home.
relenger

Post by relenger »

This is a picture of the intake that attaches to the throttle body

ScootCorps

Post by ScootCorps »

Am I reading this correctly?
1 9/16" ??
That's roughly 40mm
So according to this, the OD of the throttle body is 10mm smaller than I thought.
That seems small.
Did you say this was the the intake that clamps to the ENGINE side of t.b. or the air filter side?
relenger

Post by relenger »

ScootCorps wrote:Am I reading this correctly?
1 9/16" ??
That's roughly 40mm
So according to this, the OD of the throttle body is 10mm smaller than I thought.
That seems small.
Did you say this was the the intake that clamps to the ENGINE side of t.b. or the air filter side?
No, This is the Filter side of the the TB. I didn't measure the intake side.
kenbike

Post by kenbike »

I was looking at my Blur last night thinking this winter would be a good time to make a few changes. Already fitted a old D & D slip on and it is louder but not much faster. Air box mod next and for the few who have made changes would do again? I still think adding resistance to the air intake sensor will fool the ecu adding fuel. Just wish we could get some cheaper performance parts, just don't want to sink a $1000 into this scooter.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Has anybody tried a taller rear tire on a Blur 220? The taller effective gearing may provide a few extra mph, at the cost of some acceleration.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
misterturbo

Post by misterturbo »

Can you post the part # of the filter you used?

Thanks,
Scott
davelhunter

Post by davelhunter »

I just got my Blur back and am planning on some additional mods. Anyone else experiment with other intakes, air filters, etc?