Speedometer cable trouble shooting

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Girl on Fire

Speedometer cable trouble shooting

Post by Girl on Fire »

This morning I noticed my speedometer stuck at 0 after a few rides. The odometer is working though.

The speedo cable is attached at the wheel and doesn't give when I give a little tug. There is a rubber cover that was floating on the cable though. I tried to
cover the nut but it doesn't seem to want to fit on there.

I then took it around the parking garage and the speedometer worked.

Should this rubber cover actually cover the nut? Why would it start to work again after just jiggling the cable? I hope I don't have to get under the head case.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I had a problem once with the speedometer and odometer not working, at first intermittently, then completely.... similar to what you're seeing. I tried poking around at the parts I could see, but the problem was (sorry) in the headset, where the mechanic had failed to tighten the cable adequately when he re-assembled it after doing something else.
rick71454

Post by rick71454 »

Hello BuddyLand:

My speedometer was all over the place, then it stayed at zero all the time. I disovered my speedometer cable had sheared, broken. So I replaced the cable. Easy job. Speedometer works fine now.

Rick71454
TVB

Post by TVB »

Coincidentally, I just had my speedometer stop working (again). It was loose at the wheel (this time), and would work/not-work sporadically as I rode. A good tightening fixed it.
Girl on Fire

Post by Girl on Fire »

Completely unscrewed at the headset. Bugger.
SuperCyclone.81

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

thats interesting because the odometer is driven from the speedo cable also. So if one isn't working, neither should be working, right?
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

Same here, mine also sheared. I heard spraying cable lubricant up there can prolong its life.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Use some blue Loctite when reattaching the cable to the headset.

Opening up that is not fun - do it only once.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

JettaKnight wrote:Use some blue Loctite when reattaching the cable to the headset.
Just be SUPER CAREFUL to NOT get any Loctite on the speedo cable or inside the housing. Been there - done that - bad news.