TowPac outrigger

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Wolfhound

TowPac outrigger

Post by Wolfhound »

ScOOter, Dianne at TowPac just called me to tell me that the unit is ready to ship as soon as Jeremie determines if he can rig a platform for the hard case saddle bags. May have delivery as soon as next week. Communications with Dianne and Jeremie have been excellent and my opinion of the company is high at this point.
If your wife wants a faster scooter consider the Buddy 170i. TowPac will now be able to make an out rigger platform for that. Or you may be able to swap your old one to it. Once mine is set up my wife is going to teach me how to post pix. :wink:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

HOPEFULLY this weekend I can get the pics up! When I say faster, she means highway/interstate fast. So far, so good.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I would not recommend the 170i for interstate travel but then I would not recommend any scoot smaller than 300cc for that type of travel. Ok for the bigger CC and heavier weight rigs. I ride the 170i on the local highways with no problems but in our area traffic on the interstates run 80-85 mph. :wink:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I hear ya. My wife and I were riding two up and trying to make some time and jumped on the interstate. We got behind a Prius and just hung with them since they were doing the speed limit-70mph(ish). Everyone else is passing like crazy! She glances down at the dash and ask if 8000rpm's was normal and I said yup. They she says "We need a bigger bike or scooter.", loud enough that the SYM CityCom we ride heard her! Still waiting for the scoot to protest! Oh, then we get to the open house that caused us to go on the dreaded interstate in the first place, and she falls in love with a Triumph Thunderbird "power" cruiser! Never in a million years! And I thought my wifes hearse was ridiculous (has since "died"-car NOT wife)!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Back in my AKC Pro Handler days Jerry Rigden, a handler out of Ohio, used to come to the southern shows driving a hearse. Usually a Caddie. He handled the smaller breeds and it made a comfortable road unit for the dogs
and he and his wife. I always wondered what the motel owners thought when he would arrive to get a room. :wink:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I grew up around dog shows, we had Akita's all the way back to 1976. Back then it was a rare breed. Some of the breeders and show handlers were/are hilarious! We had a AMC Hornet station wagon for dog hauling back then. Wife had the hearse just because she wanted one, so we traded our Toyota Camry wagon for the TownCar coach. I love station wagons, just the hearse was too much wagon!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I started showing Borzoi in 1961. Got my handlers license in 73, showed all the sighthounds, Norwegian Elkhounds, American Staffordshire Terriers.
Worked as a show super for Onofrio Dog shows, and then returned to the shows with a supply booth. Could have used a scooter to get around some of the grounds(notice the clever way I got back on the subject of scooters?). :lol: :lol:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I started showing Borzoi in 1961. Got my handlers license in 73, showed all the sighthounds, Norwegian Elkhounds, American Staffordshire Terriers.
Worked as a show super for Onofrio Dog shows, and then returned to the shows with a supply booth. Could have used a scooter to get around some of the grounds(notice the clever way I got back on the subject of scooters?). :lol: :lol:
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rARKAStGRy8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I had forgotten Best in Show. Filmed in Canada, Jack Onofrio dog Shows provided the ring set ups and equipment. It was a parody but I recognized a lot of the handler and owner types. As well as the announcer and judge types. I retired after 52 years in the game, my wife judges, I never had any desire to, I could p*ss off enough folks as a handler. Still a dog person, loved every minute of those 52 years. Would do it all over again but I would take a scooter on the road with me. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

So far Tow Pac has been great to deal with. They even custom designed a platform for their hard saddle bags for my outrigger. It was shipped yesterday by Old Dominion with scheduled delivery on Monday. Brian at MountainMoped is going to do the installation with me handing wrenches as needed. Dianne at Tow Pac tells me that they can now make outriggers for the Buddy 125, 150, and 170i I am now down to my TGB R9/Cozy sidecar,
the Buddy 170i/outrigger, and a Chinese Coolster 150 ATV. Will take pix of the installation and I WILL learn how to post them. :wink: :wink:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I never got a response from them concerning what they "think" my base settings should be now that we had to rig the kit, or my hardware question. My Shriner friends saw the outrigger and said it was installed wrong, and I told them thats what Tow-Pac told me to do-and I have the emails to prove it. They now want me to park it outside the gate of all their functions with a sign that says "Spot the mistake!". They let me do that with the Qlink Commuter (Helix clone) that CFMoto didnt stand behind-and it got plenty of attention. I thought that was kinda extreme but looking back on it, TowPac should have just sent me a re-bent bar that fit correctly. If yours is correct I will take the Shriners up on their offer and advertise my TowPac "rig", if they cant get a scooter correct-then dont let them touch a motorcycle! Curious to see how your support bracket mounts up, and if free advertising is called for! Wife enjoys it as is, Im still kinda mad it was wrong from the start.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I will keep you posted on how it goes. :) Give me a description of the support bracket and where it is supposed to go and I will be on the lookout for any problems. Did they send mounting instructions packed with the out rigger, were there pix included? I asked that that be done when I placed the order. :wink:
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Wolfhound wrote:I had forgotten Best in Show. Filmed in Canada, Jack Onofrio dog Shows provided the ring set ups and equipment. It was a parody but I recognized a lot of the handler and owner types. As well as the announcer and judge types. I retired after 52 years in the game, my wife judges, I never had any desire to, I could p*ss off enough folks as a handler. Still a dog person, loved every minute of those 52 years. Would do it all over again but I would take a scooter on the road with me. :wink: :wink: :wink:
My cousin had a flop hound. Me, a blue tick.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

My wife judges the AKC Hound group. Going to do one in FL this weekend.
She bred Samoyeds, English Foxhounds, and Beagles. She bought me my first motor scooter. :wink:
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Wolfhound wrote:My wife judges the AKC Hound group. Going to do one in FL this weekend.
She bred Samoyeds, English Foxhounds, and Beagles. She bought me my first motor scooter. :wink:
Sounds like you should keep her. 8)
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Just celebrated our 24th anniversary. A wonderful 24 years with an unusual lady. I am just lucky she kept me!!! :D
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

The TowPac out rigger arrived by truck last night at 7:45. It is loaded on my trailer and Bryan of Mountain Moped and I, as wrench passer, will get started on it this morning. Will take pictures and learn how to post them----some day. :wink:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Started assembly at 12:00, took a short lunch break, Had it done by 4:30 and tested on the road. Came with explicit pictures, clear assembly instructions . TowPac rig was extremely well built, beautiful welding, a sturdy unit. They built a Givi mount for the Givi 'side saddles'. Have not
put those in yet. Keep on mind that this was the first Buddy 170o unit that they had produced. During the process they answered all my email questions promptly and and had good phone contact with Dianne was excellent. Never talked to Jeremie, shop mgr, but he answered my emails
promptly and special made a couple of items for the rig.
Still doing some tweeking and rode it this afternoon. Still fast off the line, handles hills with aped, and cant see much if any difference in road speeds,
still around 50-55 bmph. It handles a bit different that my sidecar unit but nothing unusual about it. :wink:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I have to see how your bracket "D" mounts up. If yours is correct, and Tow-Pac continues to ignore me, I will advertise for them every chance I get! I also don't think the kit is any different as far as 125/150/170i mounting goes. They are just making sure yours is "correct" before shipping, unlike my kit. Still working on posting pics.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Do you have a fax #? I can fax you the description and installation pix.
Did you not get an installation manual. Mine says on the front that it is for the buddy 125 and 170i models and has pix of the installation.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Wolfhound wrote:Will take pictures and learn how to post them----some day. :wink:
sc00ter wrote:Still working on posting pics.
Guys, come on now! It ain't that hard. The only trick (to the degree there is one) is to resize photos that are too large to post. My preference is the Powertoys resizer which is a free download. There are many others. From there it is just a matter of following the directions on the board. Ask if you are having a problem.

faq.php#39
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Dooglas, my problem is that I hate modern technology and to be honest have not tried to advance my compooter skills beyond simple online usage and sometimes I aint very good at that!!! I come from a far different era! :wink:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Wife just gave me my starting lesson, now I have to takes some pix, get them developed and on a disc!! She is judging a show in Iowa tomorrow
and Sunday. Next week she will get serious and drag me kicking and screaming into Picture Posting 1. :oops:
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Wolfhound wrote:Wife just gave me my starting lesson, now I have to takes some pix, get them developed and on a disc!! She is judging a show in Iowa tomorrow
and Sunday. Next week she will get serious and drag me kicking and screaming into Picture Posting 1. :oops:
I too went kicking and screaming even resorted to some biting into the 21st century when it came to some of the newest technology. Heck, I still have a 1955 Stromburg Carlson rotary dial phone connected to my land line. For me, posting pictures took ooodles of questions asked of my kids and hours of trial and expiermentation on my part, when I finally figured it out it became 'fun' but I'm still 'challanged'.
GeeZooey, I'm even to the point I now do most of my internet 'stuff' on my mobile device..... (iPhone)

Back on topic: Did you get any pictures during the instal prosess? I'd like to see that as well as the finished project.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

KABarash wrote:
Wolfhound wrote:Wife just gave me my starting lesson, now I have to takes some pix, get them developed and on a disc!! She is judging a show in Iowa tomorrow
I too went kicking and screaming even resorted to some biting into the 21st century when it came to some of the newest technology. Heck, I still have a 1955 Stromburg Carlson rotary dial phone connected to my land line. For me, posting pictures took ooodles of questions asked of my kids and hours of trial and expiermentation on my part, when I finally figured it out it became 'fun' but I'm still 'challanged'.
GeeZooey, I'm even to the point I now do most of my internet 'stuff' on my mobile device..... (iPhone)

Back on topic: Did you get any pictures during the instal prosess? I'd like to see that as well as the finished project.
Whoa. Developed and put on a disc - sounds like film camera, yes? I salute you.

And KAB - I, too, have a rotary phone around here, but dang it, I got phone service with my digital cable, and pulse-dialing is right out. Besides, the braniacs at AT&T here in STL were making noise about killing off all the old expensive-to-maintain analog/rotary switching at some point, even though there are still some ancient pulse-dial users like fire alarm/sprinkler systems, etc. in old buildings.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I use Fuji Film quicksnap cameras, get the film developed at WallyWorld and
have discs made at the same time. Simple enough for me to use and the darned little cameras take good pix. Sure miss my old hand cranked telephone tho. :wink:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Wolfhound wrote:I come from a far different era!
Wolf, I'm pushing 70 so I'm not sure your "era" is much different than mine. You said you were taking photos of the assembly - already on disk. Posting a few isn't much of a step from that. Again, ask for help when you are ready.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Hitting 70?? You don't even know old-----yet!!!!! I am 78 heading towards
79. :wink: My biggest health problem is bum knees but that has always been a problem for me, reason I went to the dark side and got an outrigger.
Did not get as many pix of the assembly and need to finish thew role of film.
Actually the Mocro-Mini installation Manual for Genuine Buddy 125/170i has
plenty of pix of the process.
ScOOters 125 was the first one they had designed for the Genuine line and I
am not sure what sort of Manual he received. My 170i is the second one they have designed. Should not be a lot of difference as the Genuine Buddy
125 thru 170i is the same basic frame. Still have some breaking in ad adjusting on mine but so far so good.
:lol: :lol:
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

PeteH wrote:And KAB - I, too, have a rotary phone around here, but dang it, pulse-dialing is right out.
Off topic: I did a little internet research a while back, there was just a simple 'green for red' wire swap inside the phone, can't quite remember details, that enabled it to work on the modern switch gear. I however have a 'standard' land line from the/a phone company not my cable/internet supplier. It even will work when the power and cable is out.
Nullius in verba
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I have a Western Electric Model 302 with a production stamp of December 1941, probably one of the last ones with a metal chassis. It came into my possession with an Automatic Electric rotor fitted. Cleaned it all up, replaced the cord and and made a new dial card for it. Great conversation piece and when the phone rings, you'll hear it!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

az_slynch wrote:when the phone rings, you'll hear it!
Exactly....!! Even with my decreased hearing, I'll hear mine 100 feet away from the house, out in the yard, not that I'll run into the house to answer it though.

The only 'problem' I've had was with a former girlfriend of my son's, she'd been mindlessly 'playing' with it one day not knowing it worked and not really knowing how to use it as she'd never seen one in real life before, she didn't hang it up, made a $600 overseas call.....!!!
Nullius in verba
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I am completely deaf so to speak. Have a cochlear implant for one ear and have 4% hearing in the other, using a regular hearing aide in that one gives me sterio hearing. Hear better now then I did with normal hearing.
scOOter, can you give me a description of part D. :wink:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Its the bracket that goes from one end of the scoot to the other, and goes under the rear rack. Its the bracket that keeps the scoot from falling over. I/we need to learn how to post pictures!!! At work, If I want to "transfer" pictures-its all drag into format. That's what Im used to. On these standard formatted websites its obviously different. Your installation manual should be the same as mine, and bracket D should be the same. I would also love to see what your manual looks like, TowPac told me they lost all the pictures of my kit being installed, that's why I got a basic Buddy photo with arrows drawn it. The Shriners want me to "advertise" for TowPac, and that's a lot of potential customers I have the power to reach. Your kit outcome and instructions will help me make that decision. Someone help us learn the art of picture posting, PLEASE!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

That is the one I thought you meant. My instruction manual shows it as straddling the scoot, fastened at the top where the grab bar(top box mount on mine) center bolt goes, Mount your grab bar center bolt there to hold all together. The picture is a little confusing as it shows two grab bar bolts and then says bracket D mounts here withg red line to the center.Nothing mounts at the side bolt, shows it simply to identify that you have to remove side bolts as well Bracket D 'legs' then mount to the inside of the main frame. The main frame bolt holds the two parts of the main frame together. It is a long bolt and you just remove the bolt nut, fit bracket D bottom hole to the frame using the frame bolt. This is to the inside of the frame facing the rear tire. You could also email Dianne to send you the new Buddy 125/170i installation manual. They have been very responsive to my questions, Hope this helps you.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

My wife has been riding the wheels off hers, so its been operational for awhile. TowPac bent that D bar wrong, then had me rig the kit to make it work. Those bolts on the frame rail are not that long when bracket D has to go on them when that was not the original design. And also, when bracket D is bent wrong its putting pinch pressure on the bolt that holds the rear rack. That bolt has not broke yet, but I did take everything apart and wallowed that center hole out more so it put less stress on that flimsy center bolt. Like I said- both of us need to post pictures. If yours is correct Im going on a advertising campaign.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

So far so good, scOOter. We are getting a lot of rain the past few days but it is supposed to clear off tomorrow and I Will put some serious miles on mine. I ordered a Givi saddle bag set too. At first Jeremie did not think he could make it work but designed a mounting plate whose arm attaches to the axle plate pivot plate and comes up and over the top of the fender with a flat mounting plate for the Givi box to be bolted to. May look weird but will work. Hopefully the Buddy 170o s my last scoot. If I wear it out I will just buy a new one and mount the outriggers to it. At my age I expect the scoot will outlast me!!! :wink:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Yesterday we got the Givi boxes installed. Photos were a little hard to make out but once we got one side done the other went pretty well. All in all I am
pleased and feel that towPac did well by me. Taking pix today of the rig and
will hopefully get some published sooner or later. :wink: :wink:
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Some kind soul near either Ball Ground, GA or Norfolk, VA needs to take and post some digiphotos of these TowPac rigs.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

PeteH wrote:Some kind soul near either Ball Ground, GA or Norfolk, VA needs to take and post some digiphotos of these TowPac rigs.
Yes, this thread really needs photos. Tell you what, if there are no local helpers - if scOOter and Wolfhound will send small prints to me, I will scan and post them. What do you say, all it would cost is a stamp. I'll mail the prints back after scanning. If you want to take me up on this - PM me.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

PeteH, I take it you are not from the South!!! ;^) Dooglas, I just finished my role of film this afternoon, will take them to be developed and then I will
learn how to post and will post them. That is my excuse and I am sticking to it!!! (Don't know what scOOters excuse is). :lol:
MYSCTR

TowPac outrigger Screen Shot

Post by MYSCTR »

Kind of in the Buddy family (size that is).
Attachments
(until another one gets uploaded…)
(until another one gets uploaded…)
trike.jpg (89.39 KiB) Viewed 4113 times
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

You stole my scoot!!!!!! Except mine is a Buddy 170i in silver. Even right down to the Givi boxes. Looks great in black, a Piaggio? What size engine?
Your Givi boxes are mounted in the same manner as mine. :lol:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

On second look, the Givi boxes are not mounted in the same manner. TowPac designed a mounting system for mine that mount the box on top of the fender Like your arrangement better but there was not enough space between the wheels and the scoot to mount it that way. Mine is a TowPac micro mini out rigger but if yours is a TowPac it is one of the bigger units.
Really looks good. :wink:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Piaggo BV250? 300? What year? :clap:
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Wolfhound wrote:You stole my scoot!!!!!! Except mine is a Buddy 170i in silver. Even right down to the Givi boxes. Looks great in black, a Piaggio? What size engine?
Your Givi boxes are mounted in the same manner as mine. :lol:
Post subject: TowPac outrigger Screen Shot

Not mine - just off the TowPac website - so someone could see what the heck all the fuss was about.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

My excuse is that something came up and I have been sidetracked. I understand the jpeg file for the photos, but the computer wont transfer them as such. Took the photos with my Galaxy phone, then emailed them to myself. Forgot to ask my wifes sister, and she has been over here a lot lately. I almost rode the TowPac'd Buddy to Richmond VA, but I pussed out at the last minute-they really want to see it also.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Thanks, Mysctr. I appreciate your posting it. scOOter the truth is that we are both rebels protesting new fangled things. I remember my granddad saying, 'BACK IN MY DAY!!!". Shouting as he was hard of hearing. If it hits
60 by non I plan to ride mine on a 40 mile round trip. :wink:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

MYSCTR, thanks for the referral. I went back to the TowPac site and confirmed what I thought this one was. This is a MiniTrike outrigger
with 12" wheels. Mounts differently than our MicroMini outriggers.
Beautiful set up but with the Piaggio running in the $5000.00 range and
the MiniTrike unit running in the $2100.00 range it would be more than my
budget allows. :( :wink:
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

We were wondering what the outrigger would cost. For what it does I guess 2K is not so bad. I did see the micro yet was just looking for a picture close to the size of our Buddy's (or even a Buddy). the Piaggio fit the bill and is a really good looking scoot!

Once you have ridden this for a while we wold be interested if you lose any off the top end due to the extra weight it is pulling or added wheels. Seems to make sense you would yet would be great if it did not or maybe they don't add that much weight.

Sure looks good from their website. Once you both get them working, they sure could use your pictures to show samples of how they work on the Genuine Buddy and of course everyone here sure wants to see them when you can post them.