TowPac outrigger

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Did some more research. The mini out rigger with 12" wheels costs $2991.00 plus $264.00 freight to my zone. With 8" wheels the price drops to $2395.00, freight stays the same. The one shown has the 12" wheels.
The MicroMini with 8" wheels costs $1315.00 plus $264.00 freight to my zone. They require a $200.00 deposit that is applied to the total cost when the unit is paid for. My total cost including painting the fenders and the Givi saddle bags(no charge for the special mounting brackets the made) was
$1944.00. The Givi boxes were $400.00 and that is what brought the cost of mine up. The added weight of 80 lbs for the outrigger has not affected my fuel milage too much, maybe 3 mpg. Top speed is still the same. I have had it up to 55 bmph(buddy miles per hour) but have not pushed it further yet. I usually ride AT 55-60 BMPH. the 170i is fast off the mark to begin with and still is. :D
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Wolfhound wrote:Piaggo BV250? 300? What year? :clap:
Looks like a BV 250.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

That is what I think too. Beautiful rig tho. :)
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

That was short lived! Little over 2000miles and the wife is ready for a upgrade. The Buddy/Tow Pac will be going up for sale soon, as she now has a Can Am Spyder. Will miss the little Buddy when it leaves, but Im forced to keep the SYM CityCom so I can keep up with her now!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Chunk of change for the CanAm. I have a buddy who inherited one from his brother. He likes it but says it does use more fuel than he expected. A lot faster than what she had for sure. Can the Sym keep up with her? Took my friend a while to get used to the Tadpole as he was a motorcycle guy. They definitely handle differently. Good rig tho. I will stay with my TowPac trike and theTGB R9 hack. If I wanted to blow some dough I would probably go for a Piaggio 500cc tadpole trike or a Ural hack. Enjoy the new ride and ride safe. :wink:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Yes, it was kinda pricy. The funny part was it was also purchased as a second car! And no, I get dusted, the Can Am is QUICK! When I get back on the SYM it feels sooooo sloooow. But whatever makes her happy. I got my silly toy-a 70cc Zuma 2t, and now she has hers. We did look at the MP3 tri-wheel scoot but she said no after she realized it leaned in turns and you had to press a button to "lock" it upright at stops. I do enjoy riding the Spyder when I can get the keys though, but still prefer two wheels/step thru design.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

The Piaggio MP3 was off the market here for a couple of years but is coming back in 2015. Probably 250, ,400, and 500cc engines or so my
dealer says. I think that they are neat but I agree with your wife, if you don't hit the lock button you have to prop it up and my knees don't do that very well any more. I really am liking my 170i/TowPac rig, excellent for my riding needs. Be careful, enjoy the rigs, and ride on!!! :lol:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

The Piaggio MP3 was off the market here for a couple of years but is coming back in 2015. Probably 250, ,400, and 500cc engines or so my
dealer says. I think that they are neat but I agree with your wife, if you don't hit the lock button you have to prop it up and my knees don't do that very well any more. I really am liking my 170i/TowPac rig, excellent for my riding needs. Be careful, enjoy the rigs, and ride on!!! :lol:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Sorry. double post, don't know how to delete the second one. My bad!!! :(
issue31

pictures

Post by issue31 »

Hay Wolfhound: Where are the pictures? Been waiting to see how it went! I am Still thinking about it. issue31
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

If I can ever get my wife to slow down enough to teach me I will post them. I are compooter ilatarate. I am still very pleased with mine and I must say that the folks at Tow Pac were great to deal with. They were responsive and went out of their way to design the micro Mini unit to work on my 170i and even designed a mounting system for the Givi side boxes, just charged for the materials, not for the time. I am getting 80 mpg and
the 170i still runs all day as 50-55 mph. My dealer recommended that I use 93 octane in the 170i and there is a difference. :lol:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Still have my pics in a folder, just don't understand how to make them a Jpeg? file. My only complaint is they sold me a bad brace and had me rig it in order to get it to fit. Now, all the once correct settings are all wrong now-and the instructions with the kit are just useless. I personally would not go with them again, after this experience. I would love to see how much toe-in you have on your outrigger wheels, as we are STILL trying to iron out a annoying handle bar shimmy. I rode it tonight just to get it out, and even though it is cold out people still asked me about it everywhere I stopped.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

My wheels go in like this / \(not that bad) but straighten out when I am riding, Tire wear seems normal so far and a slight handle bar shimmy is
normal until you get up to 5MPH. I hardly notice it. I keep the tires at 45 lb as recommended by TowPac and the scoot tires at 35. Now let me tell you about shimmy! Try driving a sidecar!!! If the tire pressure on my TGB is not at 40 lbs you can not control it at all. Hacks ARE noted for shimmy if every thing is not balanced.
I don't put the miles on mine that you do but so far no problems and the folks at Tow Pac have been very responsive to my questions. Sorry that you have has so many problems with them.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

My wheels go in like this / \(not that bad) but straighten out when I am riding, Tire wear seems normal so far and a slight handle bar shimmy is
normal until you get up to 5MPH. I hardly notice it. I keep the tires at 45 lb as recommended by TowPac and the scoot tires at 35. Now let me tell you about shimmy! Try driving a sidecar!!! If the tire pressure on my TGB is not at 40 lbs you can not control it at all. Hacks ARE noted for shimmy if every thing is not balanced.
I don't put the miles on mine that you do but so far no problems and the folks at Tow Pac have been very responsive to my questions. Sorry that you have has so many problems with them.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Interesting, we got the shimmy to go away after about 20mph. I never got a answer on tire pressure for the outrigger from TowPac, and none was listed in the owners manual. Wife is going to still ride it till I find a home for it, so we will continue to fiddle with it. Whats funny is I can go 'round corners faster on the Buddy trike than I can the Spyder! I can also pick up a wheel on the Buddy and still feel safe, something that causes a booty pucker on the Spyder. Weight difference is the main cause, and the fact that I have not ridden the Syder much.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Recently I emailed Jeremie at TowPac concerning outrigger tire pressure for the 8" wheels and he got right back to me saying 45 Lbs. I keep 40 lbs front and back on my hack plus have a 'Wedgie" between the scoot and the hack connection. Let the 40 lb scoot pressure get low and you will pee your pants when the uncontrollable shakes start. A certain amount, slight, is normal for sidecars. My riding pal with the Spyder says he has had the same
reaction, says he takes curves slower and that it takes some time to learn to drive the Spyder. I have never been able to raise a wheel on the scoot but I think it would be less of a problem as you would still have 2 wheels on the ground.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Wolfhound wrote:The Piaggio MP3 was off the market here for a couple of years but is coming back in 2015. Probably 250, 400, and 500cc engines or so my dealer says.
Two knowledgeable dealers on MV say that the US will see the new MP3 500 next year (similar body to the previous 400). As the 250 and 400 engines have been discontinued, MP3s in either of those displacements seem unlikely.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

My Vespa/Genuine dealer says they will have them in stock next summer.
500cc only. The other 2 sizes may be made for the European market. The have sold over 70,000 MP3s in France alone. Here they will sell for 8 or 9
Grand probably so I will pass on them.