Rear turn signals - any mods?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Raputtak

Rear turn signals - any mods?

Post by Raputtak »

Every time I remove the side nacelles the turn signals stop working or work erratically. I then have to spend some time fiddling with the contact points until they work. One is on the end of the little prong that scratches the paint when I try to re-insert it; the other is somehow magically connected with the clip that releases the nacelle from under the seat.

Has anyone come up with a fix for this?

1. I was wondering about re-wiring it and using a pull-apart connector. Yes, I'd have to remember to disconnect it whenever I remove a nacelle, but hopefully it would work better upon reassembly.

2. Or installing a rear rack and putting turn signals on it, with, of course, a bunch of rewiring. ((Better check for legal issues such as width.)
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

I was having similar problems on the right side. Everytime I would take the cowl off, the right turn signals would be all jacked and eventually after enough tries of fitting the cowl back on it would work. I bought a used cowl and it actually fits and I have a flush line along the body, no water gets in. The turn signal always works now when I take the cowl off and I don't end up scratching the paint either.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

I was having similar problems on the right side. Everytime I would take the cowl off, the right turn signals would be all jacked and eventually after enough tries of fitting the cowl back on it would work. I bought a used cowl and it actually fits and I have a flush line along the body, no water gets in. The turn signal always works now when I take the cowl off and I don't end up scratching the paint either.
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

When we first got our Stella my wife was learning to ride and dropped the bike after hitting a patch of gravel. After paint and prying I got the cowl looking good again, but never got the turn signal working. I made a little ball of aluminum foil and jammed it in the hole in the scooter and it has worked fine all summer. Not exactly a permanent type repair, but works for now. I'll likely switch to the disconnect a wire idea you mentioned. For as often as I remove the cowl, this shouldn't be a problem.
J33pman

Post by J33pman »

I use a little dielectric grease in the socket every time I remove the cowling, and I clean the contacts fairly frequently. Still look new.
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

On mine the contact end disappeared. I had to put in a tiny brass screw. I don't think that is the issue.

I hope Scoot Richmond will fix it Friday enough to pass NC inspection next week.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Use bullet connectors instead.