[Old Thread Update] It's About Time!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

az_slynch

[Old Thread Update] It's About Time!

Post by az_slynch »

Un-crated my 4T today. Took her for a short ride; gotta love the feel of a new scoot! Shifts crisply, whisper quiet at idle and she fires over instantly with the start button and kicker. After all the crap I dealt with at work this week, riding my brand spankin' new Stella was definitely a high point!

Post #1125, Scooter#14...
Attachments
Glossy Jet Black looks awesome in the Tucson sun!
Glossy Jet Black looks awesome in the Tucson sun!
StellaFront.jpg (167.13 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
No plate yet!
No plate yet!
StellaRear.jpg (150.76 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
Last edited by az_slynch on Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

She's a beaut Clark.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Nice. Are you gonna add some Bling?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Drum Pro wrote:Nice. Are you gonna add some Bling?
There will be bling. Already have the PM Tuning levers to install and a PIAA Plasma GT-X HS1 bulb to upgrade the headlamp.

I want to swap the from hub for a 2T style, see if I can replicate the old HRS drum modifications for the front and rear. Might look at an after market brake rotor, since several other scoots use that rotor type. Trying to decide between red-painted stock rims or red-accented FA Italia aluminum rims. Planning on some Conti whitewalls or Michelins with whitewall trim rings.

I already built my own carb upgrade kit based on what I learned from the Pinasco kit I bought from jimmbomb. It can be done for less than half of what Scooterworks is asking. Need to order a particular Polini filter too so I can ditch the huge air box.

I'd like the Scooterworks exhaust, but I might just get a GPR pipe, I'd like to keep the spare.

Engine mods are planned, but I'd like to ride it a bit before tearing it down. Wish I had a spare 4T motor to hack on. Easy upgrade would be a Vespa Rally 180 clutch; it's a seven-spring like the Stella but has a 22 tooth gear instead of the Stella's 21 tooth gear. Easy swap that nets a 4% up gear across all gear ratios.

With the air box out, I'll see if I can sneak an older pre-mix type PX tank with a long-range conversion kit to improve range.

The taillamp's gonna get replaced at some point. I'll be swapping the signal lenses too.

Ultimately, I'd like to retrofit some Automatic cowls to it and see if I can come up with some panel embellishers for the louvers, like the old Lambrettas had.

TL;DR Yes, it will be blinged and tweaked
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

srbbnd wrote:She's a beaut Clark.
Thank you, Eddie. I hope I never wind up with greenwalls. :wink:

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Ahhh that new scooter smell! Enjoy!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

az_slynch wrote:
Drum Pro wrote:Nice. Are you gonna add some Bling?
There will be bling. Already have the PM Tuning levers to install and a PIAA Plasma GT-X HS1 bulb to upgrade the headlamp.

I want to swap the from hub for a 2T style, see if I can replicate the old HRS drum modifications for the front and rear. Might look at an after market brake rotor, since several other scoots use that rotor type. Trying to decide between red-painted stock rims or red-accented FA Italia aluminum rims. Planning on some Conti whitewalls or Michelins with whitewall trim rings.

I already built my own carb upgrade kit based on what I learned from the Pinasco kit I bought from jimmbomb. It can be done for less than half of what Scooterworks is asking. Need to order a particular Polini filter too so I can ditch the huge air box.

I'd like the Scooterworks exhaust, but I might just get a GPR pipe, I'd like to keep the spare.

Engine mods are planned, but I'd like to ride it a bit before tearing it down. Wish I had a spare 4T motor to hack on. Easy upgrade would be a Vespa Rally 180 clutch; it's a seven-spring like the Stella but has a 22 tooth gear instead of the Stella's 21 tooth gear. Easy swap that nets a 4% up gear across all gear ratios.

With the air box out, I'll see if I can sneak an older pre-mix type PX tank with a long-range conversion kit to improve range.

The taillamp's gonna get replaced at some point. I'll be swapping the signal lenses too.

Ultimately, I'd like to retrofit some Automatic cowls to it and see if I can come up with some panel embellishers for the louvers, like the old Lambrettas had.

TL;DR Yes, it will be blinged and tweaked
This entire post is the most erotic thing I've read in a while, particularly the possibility of the long range conversion kit.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Stilts wrote:This entire post is the most erotic thing I've read in a while, particularly the possibility of the long range conversion kit.
If it can be slotted in between the frame horns, this is the tank I have in mind:

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-P ... GRANGETANK

Go from 5L capacity to 9.4L capacity? Yes please. Will need to get creative about a fuel sender and will probably need to add a fuel pump like the Vespa GT came with. Bit of fettling, yes, but that kind of range would be great touring.

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Ordered these to class her up a bit and make the seat look less out-of place on an otherwise black bike:

Part Link. Synthetic leather and alloy, but they look more solid than the stockers. Should be fun trying to finagle those off.

Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Will definitely be keeping an eye on this post.

A guy on the uk forum tried to fit a PX tank to his 4T,it didn't fit but he didn't think it would take much to squeeze it in there.

http://lmlocgb.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... hilit=tank
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Very Nice!!!! I put those same handgrips on that 2010 that the carb went on and off.
Good luck with your new scoot!! Gotta love that Black color!
Im still looking for a tits RED 2t Stella to put my P-200 motor in..
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Tam Tam

Black is black

Post by Tam Tam »

While I dug my red stella all the way, black is still the coolest colour by far I think - looks very sharp!
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
Yvr metro

Post by Yvr metro »

Congrats :D I just bought a 2012 Yellow 4T. Black is always sexy like little black dress. Always in style.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

az_slynch wrote:I already built my own carb upgrade kit based on what I learned from the Pinasco kit I bought from jimmbomb. It can be done for less than half of what Scooterworks is asking. Need to order a particular Polini filter too so I can ditch the huge air box.

I'd wait till you have the pipe and carb on there to decide if you need to up gear. I thought, too, with the everything stock it could use an up gear, but with the GPR pipe and Polini Mikuni carb almost all of the gains were up top. Now it loves to rev up high in 2nd and 3rd. Even thinking of putting in a shorter 4th, because when I wind out 3rd and pop it into 4th, it doesn't pull as strong, feels like the gear's too high.

Yesterday I made up a new, less restrictive air filter to go in the airbox, and that seemed to create some gains down low. But I still have to tune the carb and I'll see what difference it made, all I did was turn up the idle mix a little and tossed in a main jet 2 points higher. What Polini filter are you going to use? I'm thinking of ditching the airbox when I have the engine out to install the 165cc cylinder at some point, and running a pod filter. With the Mikuni carb, the Uni filter I tried hit the rear shock, so I'd have to use one that would angle into where the airbox is now.

It's too bad about the PX tank not fitting, I was just thinking about possibly removing the airbox and swapping in one. It's annoying having to fill up every other day despite getting 70-80 mpg.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

This is the filter I'm looking at. I have one for my buddy's busted Stella, but I haven't ordered one yet.

https://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults. ... lter+space

I got the straight shot for PHBG, but from your descriptions, the 90 degree version might fit better. Time will tell.

Sadly, I haven't done much of anything with the Stella yet. Work and classes are killing my free time.

If they fab touring tanks from fresh steel, should be able to cut and shut one to a slimmer profile. Not sure how much capacity you'd lose.

Drilling the old disc hub to mimic the HRS brake mod is out. Bummer. Somebody needs to start producing the Faco phone-dial rims from the 80's again...

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

If you need a 90* air filter, SIP accidentally sent me two of these: http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... +_p2030067. You'd just need one of the venturi things that screws on the intake side of a PHBG. The thing about the Polini carb kit is it has a new intake manifold with a larger ID, that's why I chose it over the PHBG, but it places the carb closer to the engine and angles towards the airbox, so that might be why the UNI filter didn't fit.

I ordered a Polini 165cc cylinder from SIP, but they were out of stock and no idea when they'll get more, so I canceled and am now shopping around to find one.
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

Good luck finding the 165 kit. I also ordered mine from SIP - hopefully they get more in stock soon. You might want to get a spare clutch cover gasket and a couple spare shifter cables when you order it. At least I ended up needing those when I installed mine. The kit comes with all the other gaskets you'll need.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Finally got some free time and remembered where I'd put the MSO and Bill of Sale (I put 'em on the auxilliary glovebox of my truck and promptly forgot about them...d'oh!), so I went and papered the 4T. She's road legal now.

Only have 50 miles on so far, but I've been doing a hard break-in to try and extract the engine's full potential. The manual lists engine power as 8.0hp, +/- 0.3hp and I'd prefer to have the 0.3 in my favor. Took her to the shop for the first oil change, as I'm sure there's crud in there from the ring bedding process. Debating adding a bit of zinc to the oil to help with the wear-in, since that was basically the key ingredient in break-in lube for GMs.

Top speed indicated on a level has increased from an indicated 45 to an indicated 55, which I'm guessing is closer to a real 50mph. I really want to see the gearing in the block now, as I still think a 22T clutch is proper for getting more out of 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I doubt it would do much for 4th, as reference info suggests that it's a 125/150 EFL gear (36T). I've learned that DRT makes a 37T that could fit and experience with my P200 showed that by adding a tooth to 4T helps to tighten up the gap from third and leverage the engine's torque better.

The fitted Dunlops aren't exactly confidence-inspiring. They'll likely go away sooner than later.

Looking at a MotoBatt MB9U for a battery replacement when the stocker dies. For now, I bought extra NoCo pigtails for part of the fleet and put one on Stella to ensure that the factory battery isn't flattened by short trips.

The seat reminds me of a padded ironing board or a Methodist church pew. That's gotta get fixed too. Not exactly comfortable for long haul rides. Maybe an OE Rally 200 seat could fit.

I bought a Readspeed CDI off eBay when a little extra cash is available, but haven't installed it yet. Figured I'd finish breaking her in and install it around 1500 miles when I switch to synthetic oil. I need to order more when the bonus shows up for additional parties and one to try on my Elite 80 for funsies.

More later once I have some miles built up. I need to start alternating with the Yager and it's gonna be over 105 degrees here through the beginning of July, so it may take a little while...just not as long as the first fifty did!
Last edited by az_slynch on Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Oops. Redundant post due to a "reported" PHBB email error.

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Yesterday, I received new intermediate shaft parts from BeedSpeed. Today, I received a Polini 165 kit from SIP and new DRT "Gear Flame" racing gears for the output shaft. Things are looking up for 2016! :D