Stella front tire change

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

stellagirl

Stella front tire change

Post by stellagirl »

hello everyone, lurker with a first post here.

I am hoping you friendly stella enthusiasts may be able to help me with my newbie problem.

I can't seem to find anything online about how to change my stella front tire. I've changed the rear tire successfully, but it seems like to get my old tire off the front I may have to dismantle it completely from my steering column....which seems wrong. How do you get to the bolts behind the steel disc?

Do you know of any videos or picture resources for the front tire? Do I really need to take off the steering column to change my tire? I attached a picture I found online of the thing I'm talking about in case "steering column" isnt the precise word.

to be clear - I've removed all the bolts from the left side of the wheel, but it won't pull off like the back tire did...

thanks for the help in advance!
Attachments
P0009452.JPG
P0009452.JPG (53.65 KiB) Viewed 659 times
Frank Tabor

Re: Stella front tire change

Post by Frank Tabor »

stellagirl wrote:hello everyone, lurker with a first post here.

I am hoping you friendly stella enthusiasts may be able to help me with my newbie problem.

I can't seem to find anything online about how to change my stella front tire. I've changed the rear tire successfully, but it seems like to get my old tire off the front I may have to dismantle it completely from my steering column....which seems wrong. How do you get to the bolts behind the steel disc?

Do you know of any videos or picture resources for the front tire? Do I really need to take off the steering column to change my tire? I attached a picture I found online of the thing I'm talking about in case "steering column" isnt the precise word.

to be clear - I've removed all the bolts from the left side of the wheel, but it won't pull off like the back tire did...

thanks for the help in advance!

You are half way there. Now remove the two front brake caliper bolts and carefully lift it off the rotor so the front 'wheel' with tire and rotor will almost fall off the left side.
finished 18 in 2014 Scooter Cannonball.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

If you're only trying to remove the tire and rim, all it requires is removing the five "lug" nuts to remove it from the hub.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:If you're only trying to remove the tire and rim, all it requires is removing the five "lug" nuts to remove it from the hub.
Correct. No need to mess with the brakes.
remove the nuts and lockwashers from the clutch lever side.. (valve stem points out there too) and wiggle that entire wheel off!
Sounds like yours is stuck. Wap it with a mallet or a 2×4.. itll fall right off
good luck

ps.... if you removed the nuts on the brake side... then your steel wheel splits in 2.. but still stays on the bike..
Last edited by jimmbomb on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Frank Tabor

Post by Frank Tabor »

jimmbomb wrote:
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak wrote:If you're only trying to remove the tire and rim, all it requires is removing the five "lug" nuts to remove it from the hub.
Correct. No need to mess with the brakes.
remove the nuts and lockwashers from the clutch lever side.. (valve stem points out there too) and wiggle that entire wheel off!
Sounds like yours is stuck. Wap it with a mallet or a 2×4.. itll fall right off
good luck
Quite right. Sincere apologies. I have owned too many bikes! :oops:
finished 18 in 2014 Scooter Cannonball.