Ram Mount Stella

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoaringTodd

Ram Mount Stella

Post by RoaringTodd »

Greetings all -

Is there a way to mount a RAM mount on the left side (battery side) of a Stella?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I'm assuming you mean up on the headset/bars somewhere? If so, why not use the mirror-stem ball?

http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mount-Motorcy ... 009BIPF02/

I use one of these on the Buddy mirror mount.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

PeteH wrote:I'm assuming you mean up on the headset/bars somewhere? If so, why not use the mirror-stem ball?

http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mount-Motorcy ... 009BIPF02/

I use one of these on the Buddy mirror mount.
I recently switched to one of these and it's GREAT.

You can wedge one of the traditional U-bolt mounts onto the mirror mount and get it secure, but it's a weird fit and looks awful. Plus, it was on in such a way that the RAM ball/ arm rubbed paint off my headset. Grr.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Wild Handyman

Post by Wild Handyman »

Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a Ram Mount used for? I followed the Amazon link but still couldn't figure it out. My best guess it to mount a GPS or a GoPro (Hold My beer. Watch this) camera, but I'm not sure.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Exactly. The fixture we've been discussing so far is a ball mount that attaches to the mirror stem or handlebar/headset. For bigger bikes, you can get all sorts of u-shaped handlebar mounts or plates that mount to the top of your brake cylinder, all of which have the ball mount on top.

From that point, you can add an intermediate bracket that mates with that ball mount and has another on top. This intermediate piece also has a clamp to tighten down the assembly once you've got it positioned where you want it. You then add another ball bracket atop the intermediate piece. This bracket has a standard diamond-shaped plate. To the plate, you then add a holder suitable to the device in question, including GPS holders (mine's specific to my Garmin), camera mounts, phone holders, or an "X-mount", which is a bit more universal and grips just about any cell phone or rectangular device.

The RAM system is highly customizable to fit both your bike and your device. Look at Amazon for "ram mount" and you'll get many pages of goodies. Some common mixes of components are available so that you don't absolutely have to buy each individually.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

You actually want this one for the Stella, since the mirror stem is 10mm.
http://www.amazon.com/Mounts-RAM-B-252U ... =pd_cp_e_3
The first one linked to is for 8mm mirror stems.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Ordered! Thanks, guys. I got the 10mm one.

This is going to make my 4 day scooter trip so much better this summer :-)
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.