Hot brakes

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mattgordon

Hot brakes

Post by mattgordon »

I rode my Rattler deep into the hills today, and encountered a long, steep
downhill grade which required some serious brake usage in order to maintain control.

At the bottom, my wife (following me on her Buddy) said she smelled "something burning.."

My front disc was hot, real hot and the swept-area of it is now darker than the rest of the disc, not blue, just darker. I know it got hot, it's not warped, the brakes work fine still, I'm just wondering if I've damaged the rotor, or should I just keep riding it?

I've smoked some brakes before, they typically turn blue, stay blue and you know they're toast, this isn't quite like that, but looks different than before.

Advice?
Sl,ut4

Post by Sl,ut4 »

The disc is probably fine.
I would check the pads though. Pop them out and give a good look for anything but normal.
If your going to do that kind of riding, I would suggest some racing pads for both the front and the rear.
1965 VBB 5 Port
Ported and matched Pinasco 184/ WORB5 race cut/ Boyesen Reeds/ Cut reed block/ Malossi 23-64 Upgear/ T5 Fourth/ Disk brake swap/ Ducatti CDI/ Quattrini Ignition/ S1's/ NGK/ B9HS.
01.5 S4 Sedan. Blk/Blk
STGII+ Drivin Slideways!
ysofisonly50?

Post by ysofisonly50? »

my edumecated guess is the rotor/brake pads may be "glazed".
a careful and light sanding of surfaces would be my prescription (to remove glaze)
that'll be 80 bucks please !! :shock: Jowk, hehe