Stella engine quit running, no spark

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

2strokes4ever

Stella engine quit running, no spark

Post by 2strokes4ever »

The engine on my '09 Stella was running fine. I took it to the gas station about 2 blocks from home and filled it up. Then it would not start. I almost ran the battery down trying to start it, it wouldn't even fire. I then tried kickstarting it, to no avail. I pushed it home. I quickly discovered it had no spark, even when connected to a car battery. The starter spins it over fine. I tried another plug, still no spark. I checked both fuses, they were good. The engine kill switch failed shortly after I got it, and I bypassed it. I checked my connections, and they are fine. Any ideas? The electrics are so simple on this thing, yet some of them are very hard to get to. The clutch switch is working, starter will only turn with clutch pulled in. Is there any way to tell if I am getting power to the CDI? Is their a liklihood it could be the CDI unit or the coil? The manual does not give any way to test either.
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

something failed, or came loose. take off the engine side cowl and make sure everything is seated properly in it's conectors. or you could get a multitester and the manual and start tracing circuits. or find a scooter mechanic.
2strokes4ever

Post by 2strokes4ever »

I have checked everything I can with a multimeter, and there are no loose connections or open circuits. Both fuses are good. Everything else works, just no spark. I have not been able to test the CDI unit, the HT coil, the pickup unit behind the flywheel, or whatever that white plastic rectangular box is behind the horncast. It is what has the fuse connected to it. My service manual does not show that box or the fuse. As for the CDI/HT coil, the manual says to replace them with known good units to check them.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Have you checked the pulser?

This is for a 4T, In the service manual it tells how you can use a Red LED connected to two wires coming out of the engine to see if your getting pulses from it. There are also instructions as to how to check the Stator but they require a Neon bulb which I couldn't get. I used a volt meter set on 300volts AC and found my stator went bad last month.
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

2strokes4ever wrote:I have checked everything I can with a multimeter, and there are no loose connections or open circuits. Both fuses are good. Everything else works, just no spark. I have not been able to test the CDI unit, the HT coil, the pickup unit behind the flywheel, or whatever that white plastic rectangular box is behind the horncast. It is what has the fuse connected to it. My service manual does not show that box or the fuse. As for the CDI/HT coil, the manual says to replace them with known good units to check them.
check the spark plug wire on the coil. sometimes it can back off the connection but still look connected. sounds like you have a system fail. you prolly need a techition. unless you want to start buying extra parts and start swapping. but that can run into money. might be the stator or pickups too.
Have to test it from the generating point to the plug. I am happy I have a stella dealer here that comes and gets it and then brings it back.
2strokes4ever

Post by 2strokes4ever »

Thanks for the replies. I also have a Stella sealer nearby, but it won't be cheap. I have checked everything I have the means to check, and found nothing. It is a very simple ignition system, but it is electronic. I wish it had a points and coil ignition. That I could find and fix the problem with.
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

2strokes4ever wrote:Thanks for the replies. I also have a Stella sealer nearby, but it won't be cheap. I have checked everything I have the means to check, and found nothing. It is a very simple ignition system, but it is electronic. I wish it had a points and coil ignition. That I could find and fix the problem with.
true. my dealers per hour starts at 45.00
but if you cant fix it, what are you going to do.
unless you have a scooter club near you with someone that knows the bike really well.
2strokes4ever

Post by 2strokes4ever »

May be getting somewhere. The HT coil now has no resistance at all. I checked several times with 2 different meters to be sure. The manual says it should have resistance. I guess that is one problem. Now I need to find a place to get another one. Also the stator and pulser coil seem to check out, with the battery removed, the lights come on briefly when it is kicked over, so the stator is putting out power. I also connected a 1.5 volt LED between the red and white wires on the CDI connector, and it flashes brightly when kicked over. The service manual says that means the pulse coil is ok.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Sounds like the failure I just had. I want to say it was about $110 from Genuine through my dealer for the replacement.
2strokes4ever

Post by 2strokes4ever »

Ok, I definitely found a problem with the magneto. First the manual says the resistance should be 390 ohms between the green and white wires coming from the magneto. I got 635 with 2 different meters. Also it is supposed to generate 200+ volts going to the CDI unit when kicked over. I get nothing. A new magneto is almost $200. Is there anything else I can check to make sure before I buy a new one?
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

That sounds alike to the failure I had.

I don't think it should be that much for the part, I think I paid closer to $100 for mine. It just took 4+ weeks to come from India :(

Your bike is a 4T correct? Not a 2T?
2strokes4ever

Post by 2strokes4ever »

JohnKiniston wrote:That sounds alike to the failure I had.

I don't think it should be that much for the part, I think I paid closer to $100 for mine. It just took 4+ weeks to come from India :(

Your bike is a 4T correct? Not a 2T?
Mine is an '09 2T. 4T may be the same or very similar. This is the part with 5 coils on it, that goes behind the flywheel. It has 5 wires on it, red, green, blue, black, and white. Green and white go from the magneto to the CDI unit. Red goes from the pulse sensor to the CDI. Blue connects to a yellow wire which connects to the regulator/rectifier, and black is ground. The magneto sends AC current directly to the CDI through the green and white wires. A/C current also goes through the blue/yellow wire, where it connects to the R/R, and is converted to 12V DC to power the lights, horn, starter, etc. and charge the battery.

I may call my local dealer, Scooter Invasion in Tempe and see what their price is on it.
dj buk

Post by dj buk »

So I know this is an old thread but I just ran into the exact same problem. Any word on what it ended up being I have yet to check the magneto but everything else checked out fine.
Yoeman

No spark

Post by Yoeman »

I recently purchased a 2012 Stella 150
Manual and it came from an auction
The scooter had no ignition switch behind the key so I found a used one at scooter west and installed it
No spark at the plug so I have been reading this post
My kill switch was unplugged so that not the issue
Battery is fine bike turns over fast enough
When I'm starting it I have the clutch pulled so I'm guessing that switch is ok
All connections look good
Were are the fuses located as I've only found 1 beside the battery box?
Any ideas would be a great help
Thanks
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

I know on the 2T, there is a fuse under behind the horncast sitting sideways ontop of a little white box.
Check to see if yours has that.
Good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics