Battery question

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Nettar

Battery question

Post by Nettar »

I have a Stella and a motorcycle. It being the 2nd of December and as there is an ice storm raging outside I've decided to put them both to bed for the winter. I have removed both batteries and had planned to put the battery keeper (I have only one) on one for a week and then switch to the other.
Easy right?
Some of us are lazier than that.
It occurred to me that I might connect the positive terminal of battery A to the negative terminal of battery B and the battery keeper to the other terminals on the two batteries and kill (or hopefully save) two birds with one stone.
Will this work?
Inquiring (and lazy) minds want to know.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Not a particularly good idea. If by "battery keeper" you actually meant the Battery Tender brand, they work by sensing the voltage, current draw, etc. of the battery and adjusting the forward charge current as needed. If you rig two batteries in series as you propose, you suddenly have a 24v (nominal) battery rather than 12v, and most likely the BT will never come on, or may just sit there and flash its "WTF?" light. If you hook them up in parallel, it's nominally 12v, but the condition and charging requirements of the two batteries may be very different. The BT may not sense this properly, and may actually end up overcharging one of the two if it senses that the 'composite' battery still needs charging current.

Rotate them like you originally suggested.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

I rotate mine. Hook up the BT to 1 of them for 24 hours.. then switch..
then unhook and unplug for a month.
then do it again next month.
as long as your batteries are inside and not hooked up they will barely barely discharge at all..
this has worked for me for decades.
when you flip your calendar page... do your batteries..
good luck

If you were to try the series thing..
go +2+ and -2-.
that way it will stay 12 volt and not 24.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Nettar

Post by Nettar »

Thanks for the help!
Nettar

Post by Nettar »

Thanks for the help!