First Buddy Clone?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

streetlightpoet

First Buddy Clone?

Post by streetlightpoet »

I was on campus the other day and saw a genuine buddy, or so I thought. I was sort of surprised because I've only seen one so far in town, so I wandered over to take a look. It was too dark out to get any pics, but turns out there is now a "Junwei" buddy clone, complete with 70's orange coloring, headlight in handlebars, hell, everything except the badges/graphics. Those chinese are quick!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Maybe not too quick... the Taiwanese version of the Buddy (The PGO "My Bu Bu") has been available in Asia for a while. It's more likely a rip off of that.

Too bad you couldn't get a pic! I couldn't find any online.
streetlightpoet

I am hoping to see it again during the daytime, if I do I will definitely get some picks to post :D
Mike @ NoHo Scooters
Dealer

Post by Mike @ NoHo Scooters »

Its probally a clone of an older Yamaha that was similar to a Vino 125 with headlight on the handlebars. Some examples of this body style are the TNG Milano, Baron VLA, and there are many others. As far as I know there are no knock offs of the Buddy.

There was a US PGO importer a year or so ago that sold the My BuBu, but only in Utah. I saw one at the Vegas rally in February.
Mike Frankovich
NoHo Scooters
North Hollywood, CA
www.nohoscooters.com

Named "Best Scooter Shop" by Los Angeles Magazine in their 2009 Best Of LA issue!

www.twitter.com/nohoscooters
www.facebook.com/nohoscooters
www.youtube.com/nohomike
germ

Post by germ »

The buddy like most scooters are made over seas where manufacturers spit out the same bike to different American companies. The buddy itself is sort of a clone.
jess

Post by jess »

germ wrote:The buddy like most scooters are made over seas where manufacturers spit out the same bike to different American companies. The buddy itself is sort of a clone.
This is simply not true. The Buddy is an original design by PGO, sold in Taiwan as My BuBu, sourced by Genuine and imported to the US as the Buddy. This differs markedly from mainland China scooter manufacturers, who have virtually zero original designs.
Keys

Post by Keys »

The Buddy scooter, as marketed by Genuine, is manufactured by PGO in Taiwan and marketed in Asia as the PGO My BuBu. It is marketed in Europe as the PGO Ligero and here in the States as the Genuine Buddy. They are ALL the same scooter, manufactured by the same factory. There are no clones of the PGO scooter. Same beast, different names to suit different markets.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
streetlightpoet

I apologize for the poor quality, but alas camera phones suck even more than usual in the evenings. Regardless, here are some pics of the scooter I mentioned. If you saw it in person you'd agree that this is not the same level of quality as a PGO scooter. Image

a few more pics can be found at my flickr site where these are linked from.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Wow. That looks very Buddy-like to me. I couldn't view the flickr pics without a direct link to your page, though.

Maybe a grey-market or flat out illegal import? I don't see a license plate. No DOT turn signals... Was the speedo in km or miles?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Me likey Ligero very much...sweet
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/223552/
streetlightpoet