Tire wear

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

xTomBx

Tire wear

Post by xTomBx »

So, my scooter only has <3500 miles on it and I just noticed the rear (stock) tire is almost bald. It this expected wear for these?

I must confess, I only looked at it because I was alerted that it was really low by a car driver so that may have affected wear, hence the question...

I know the stock sava are pretty un-loved but its been my first scooter and I know no different. For now, ill probably swap my spare on and then switch all 3 out when the time comes, what are some good reccomended white walls I can keep an eye out for.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Tires around here can become a pretty contentious subject. There are ones liked, ones loved, ones hated and ones that are just about, well, eh......
The only 'halfway' OKish whitewall tires available in the size needed at a reasonable cost are the Primas which are available from Scooterworks. Another alternative I've seen are the Continentals which have more of a 'retro' look tread yet are more expensive......
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

On mine' the rear tire always wears the fastest..even with correct pressure.
I only buy 1 tire at a time and put the new one on the front. The old front goes to the rear..
And the old rear becomes the new spare replacing the old worn bald spare. Rotate them in.. they'll last longer.
Good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Yes, thats about "normal". Some where better than others, and yes, you were correct, low pressure REALLY can affect tire life. If you check them even once a month it makes a big difference.

I try to rotate mine about every 1500 or so, and I don't know if that helps or not.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

viney266 wrote:I try to rotate mine about every 1500 or so, and I don't know if that helps or not.
Well… It's either you just wear down the rear, replace it and replace the front much less frequently. Or you average our the wear and replace the both at roughly the same time.

Because the tires are oriented the same way front and back, it doesn't help with uneven wear (to one side of the tire or another) the way rotating a car's tires would.

I tend to think it all comes out the same in the end, only you spent a lot more time swapping tires around.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I just eat a rear tire every 1500-2000 miles and replace it.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
mr bill

Post by mr bill »

I get about 5000 miles out of the rear tyre
Continental and Michelin S1 and S83 are great ones.
S83 is about he best allarounder for all weather and off road.
I check pressure every few days and before any ride over 100miles.
15100 mile on the scooter today.(first motor grenaded at 2300 miles)
Cheers.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

My 2012 came with dunlop maxi's not sure how long they can go...

also, do 10" scooter tires need balancing? I don't see the weights on them like car tires have.
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Coming up on 12000 miles on my stock Dunlop Maxi-Life tires and the back is just starting to show signs of needing replacement. I have no idea what I did or how they lasted this long. I'm just as shocked as everyone else.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Stilts wrote:Coming up on 12000 miles on my stock Dunlop Maxi-Life tires and the back is just starting to show signs of needing replacement. I have no idea what I did or how they lasted this long. I'm just as shocked as everyone else.
that rather hard rubber of these maxi's are pretty good for the roads around me...a lot of allegatoring of the pavement surface so a rugged general purpose tire works well.
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
longroof

Post by longroof »

My 2009 with a sidecar consumes a rear tire about every 2,000 miles.
not sure of the model of tires but the origional continental lasted just shy of 2,100. The Kenda got about 1,900...however this included a trip to the tail of the dragon. I could visibility see the tire wearing. Spirited riding is an understatement. The Shenko I'm. Running now has 2,600 now and is just about shot. I probability wore about 300 miles off that Kenda in one short afternoon on the dragon.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

longroof wrote:My 2009 with a sidecar consumes a rear tire about every 2,000 miles.
not sure of the model of tires but the origional continental lasted just shy of 2,100. The Kenda got about 1,900...however this included a trip to the tail of the dragon. I could visibility see the tire wearing. Spirited riding is an understatement. The Shenko I'm. Running now has 2,600 now and is just about shot. I probability wore about 300 miles off that Kenda in one short afternoon on the dragon.
wow...that's practically a 'fill the tank, change a tire at the same time' stuff.

Can't be right... :shock:
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Very small, cheap tire. Spins very fast at 60mph, most of the weight is on the back tire, and it's leaning to the left. If it was a $600 tire I would care, but at $50, it's hard to worry about it.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Stitch wrote:Very small, cheap tire. Spins very fast at 60mph, most of the weight is on the back tire, it's hard to worry about it.
Pretty much my same thoughts. Sure, I only average 3500 miles on my rear tire on my Buddy. Sure it's a big PITA to replace a tire almost as frequently as the oil is changed. But for the smiles per mile there's no worries.

I'd think also, on your part with the Stella's split rims there's even less worries due to the ease of swapping out tires...
Nullius in verba
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

It's really easy because I get my dealer to do it. It's a good opportunity to get him to give the scoot a quick once over just in case I haven't noticed something.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Stitch wrote:It's really easy because I get my dealer to do it. It's a good opportunity to get him to give the scoot a quick once over just in case I haven't noticed something.
I too am quite pleased with my dealer, and should I need to leave the scoot there it's just a short 3 mile walk home. Who do you use, Kissel in State College?
Nullius in verba
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

No, I run down to Carlisle scooter. It's all backroads and beautiful scenery on my ride there.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Stitch wrote:No, I run down to Carlisle scooter. It's all backroads and beautiful scenery on my ride there.
T'wasn't thinking Carlisle. Yep, back roads are the way to go anywhere on our little scoots, it's more fun. I don't even like to go 22/322 to and fro your 'part of the world' in the car.
I've not been over to them since they built their new shop.
Nullius in verba