Just bought a 2013 Stella, what have I done? ;)

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ArgonV

Just bought a 2013 Stella, what have I done? ;)

Post by ArgonV »

Howdy gents! Always loved the look of vintage Vespas, and sidecars on any motorbike. I've seen these Stellas on the roads before but always assumed they were Vespas! I was wrong... I needed something to putt-putt around in College Station. I own a 2003 Ford Thunderbird and have over 150k miles on her. Only get 16 mpg around town too... I love the car but want to keep the mileage and gas down. Last Monday I went to Freebirds and there was a Scoot dealer next door that had this beauty sitting outside on the curb. I could not pass her up... After debating about it over lunch, I went back and financed her.

Any recommendations on what I need to do next? I'm picking her up on Monday.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Break it in and ride, ride, ride.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Sidecars are so much fun. I've owned several. A few things to know. The first is that they ride - and especially corner - very differently than a two-wheeler. Take it easy at first and get used to it. Also, the 150 Stella is not a lot of power for a sidecar ride so expect somewhat moderate speed and significant slowing on the hills. Finally, expect shorter rear tire life. Ride it and enjoy. I hope you have a dog. Dogs love sidecars!
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

Thanks guys! I've never driven a motorcycle or a scooter before. So I've not formed any habits with anything on two wheels other than a bicycle. Any other tips for a newbie?
matto

Post by matto »

Nice scoot and Gig'em! I used to ride around college station in a Ruckus before I could afford a Stella. Enjoy the parking on campus 8)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Nice rig and welcome to MB!

Don't forget to add it to the SPEND-A-THON!
topic28132.html
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ArgonV wrote: Any other tips for a newbie?
The big thing is that a sidecar does not lean like a two wheeled vehicle. The most important consequence of that is in a right turn where the sidecar can come off the ground at higher speeds. A new rider should put some weight in the sidecar and practice shifting their weight a bit to the right in a right turn. There are many on-line references that have good tips about riding a sidecar.

http://classicmotorcycles.about.com/od/ ... idecar.htm
Wild Handyman

Post by Wild Handyman »

I know this is somewhat off post, but how does one keep a dog in a sidecar? I would love to take my Bob for a ride but I would be afraid that she would want to jump out to interact with another dog or to chase a squirrel.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Wild Handyman wrote:I know this is somewhat off post, but how does one keep a dog in a sidecar? I would love to take my Bob for a ride but I would be afraid that she would want to jump out to interact with another dog or to chase a squirrel.
I would think a doggy seatbelt harness of some type like we use in our 'cages' can be attached in there someway.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Frank Tabor

Post by Frank Tabor »

Stitch wrote:Break it in and ride, ride, ride.
Make sure you have towing included in your insurance package.
finished 18 in 2014 Scooter Cannonball.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Wild Handyman wrote:I know this is somewhat off post, but how does one keep a dog in a sidecar? I would love to take my Bob for a ride but I would be afraid that she would want to jump out to interact with another dog or to chase a squirrel.
Most riders put a d-ring in the floor of the sidecar. Then they use a short leash or chain snapped to a harness or collar. There are also some nifty goggles for dogs (doggles) that protect the dog's eyes.
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

Sidecars can be such fun. I had one on a 150 Vespa Sportique way back in the late '60's in England.

My cornering experience (Flipped left/right for Yanqui-land):

1. When attempting to negotiate a right hand bend approach slowly then gun it. The scooter will run around the chair and you will survive.

2. For a left-hander approach like a bat out of hell then anchor on sharpish. The sidecar will run around the scooter and you will survive.

Otherwise:

1. the sidecar will lift up and poo will come out.

2. It will not go around the bend and poo will come out.

Try this on MV
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic57577 ... +sportique
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Raputtak

It's getting late in the year but I nominate for one of the best posts of the year!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

BuddyRaton wrote:Raputtak

It's getting late in the year but I nominate for one of the best posts of the year!
Thank ya. Thank ya verra much. (In best Elvis voice)