I did a stupid thing!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

cocoribe

I did a stupid thing!

Post by cocoribe »

I rebuilt the carbureator on my 05 Stella even though it was working just fine. I know this is a stupid thing to do. After I put it back together, the scooter wouldn't start. I changed out the spark plug and it started. I rode it around for 10 minutes then turned it off. When I went to restart it, nothing. I changed out the plug yet again and still nothing. I think I flooded the engine maybe? I'm lost. Any tips or information would be awesome. Thank yous!
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

Should search Modern Vespa's Not So Modern subforum, probably get a quicker answer.

After trying to start it, is the plug wet or dry?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

How EXACTLY did you do the rebuild? What parts, what jets, did you reset the idle and mixture screws to where they were, did you use new gaskets, did you use a torque wrench to seat it?
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Raputtak

Post by Raputtak »

I have found in life that if something doesn't work right after you messed with it go check what you did. This has worked for scooters, computers and girl friends.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It's really not a stupid thing to do. I've done it a few times while experimenting with jetting.

Buuuuuut… Yes, it could be flooded. The original issue may not have been the plug, but something that was temporarily fixed by changing it.

You can pretty easily drain he carb/float bowl, pull the plug and leave it for a while to dry, then replace.

If that doesn't do it, you'll have to retrace your work. I'll usually start from the easiest to check, external fittings and work my way back in. That may spare you from having to pull the whole thing apart. Double check the throttle assembly first. Also, make sure all the gaskets are properly sealed.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…