Tips on adjusting the shifter tension?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ArgonV

Tips on adjusting the shifter tension?

Post by ArgonV »

Gents, my shifter I believe feels too loose. It shifts gears fine, but the twist shift feels loose. Also, the N light is not coming on when in Neutral. I believe this can be fixed by taking off the headset and adjusting things. But how? I am fairly handy with a wrench. Thanks!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Is this a fairly new scooter? Sounds like typical cable stretch that is to be expected. Check by the selector box, lower right side of the motor, for slack and you can probably just use the adjustors
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

It is fairly new, a 2013 with 71 miles.

How do I get into the selector box and adjust the tension? Do I need a spacial tool? (4th hand tool?)

Thanks!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You won't need one just to adjust, only to replace. To get in the box, just a couple screws on top.

The cable may not have been tight from the dealer (they have to install them) but it will also stretch quite a bit when new.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Once you go a few 100 miles and then adjust them ; they stay "in" for a long time. It is just initial cable stretch and break-in. Once you get to 300-500 miles and get everything back in spec and some fresh oil; THEN you have a stella. The first couple hundred miles are rough; hang in there and ride.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

Thanks!

Indeed on one end of the batwing, a wire crimp connector had gotten very loose. The wire for the N light was also loose and I tightened the connector crimp end of that. All seems to shift well now!

I spent about 2 hours figuring it all out and getting the alignment of Neutral nice and tight, and the upshift to 1st as smooth as I could without being too tight.