I need a new topcase

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

climbguy

I need a new topcase

Post by climbguy »

I need a new topcase and was hoping for some advice. I would like something with a lot of storage.

I am looking at http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Motorcy ... roduct_top

Does anyone have this one or can you recomend one?
DeeDee

Looks good for the money.

Post by DeeDee »

I think that case would work well on the Buddy aftermarket rack. It has the molded plastic givi-type base. I have a bit of experience with top cases, and the givi/kappa mounting base can be sturdily mounted to the buddy rack. I had a smaller generic type of case I've used on 3 different scooters. Mine has the pressed steel mounting plate. It did not mount up well to the buddy rack and eventually cracked in half.
skipper20

Re: I need a new topcase

Post by skipper20 »

climbguy wrote:I need a new topcase and was hoping for some advice. I would like something with a lot of storage.

I am looking at http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Motorcy ... roduct_top

Does anyone have this one or can you recomend one?
Looks good to me and the price is certainly attractive. Reviews are generally good too. Assuming you already have the Buddy rear rack, I'd go for it.

Bill in Seattle but currently wintering in Tucson
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia (AZ scoot)
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I have one that looks just like it mounted on my Buddy170i/TowPac outrigger. Love it. Can carry my gym bag in it with room to spare. It is a Givi knockoff, well made, Got mine from my dealer riding buddy. :wink:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
climbguy

Post by climbguy »

thanks, does anyone have any pictures of what it looks like on a buddy? Trying to get a feel for the asthenics
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I have a SHAD SH33 on the Buddy 125. Works great. Very durable. Can be opened without a key. Can be easily removed from the base. Easy to install base plate to the Buddy rear rack. The fact that you don't need a key to open it is what sells it for me. Check into the SHAD brand, worth the investment if you are willing to spend a bit more. I do know someone with the trunk you posted the link to. He has it on a Suzuki SV650 and has nothing bad to say about it. So price will influence your final decision.
climbguy

Post by climbguy »

I don't mind spending a little more for quality, that said I like the idea that the one I found is large and can hold two full face helmets. I don't have a car, so I am always lugging stuff around on my Buddy.

how much space do you find you have in the SH33?
sc00ter wrote:I have a SHAD SH33 on the Buddy 125. Works great. Very durable. Can be opened without a key. Can be easily removed from the base. Easy to install base plate to the Buddy rear rack. The fact that you don't need a key to open it is what sells it for me. Check into the SHAD brand, worth the investment if you are willing to spend a bit more. I do know someone with the trunk you posted the link to. He has it on a Suzuki SV650 and has nothing bad to say about it. So price will influence your final decision.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Just bought a SOFT brand box for my new 170i.
The detent that holds the locking mechanism arrived broken and requires a key to lock instead of being able to simply push the top shut.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I had that size on my scarabeo 500...wow.

It would look huge on a buddy. I liked it well enough, even though it felt really cheap. It isn't quite waterproof, and I wouldn't hold a ton in it while moving. It certainly did hold 2 helmets though!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Being a typical American I will say bigger is better! The reason I got the SH33 is it looks "correct" on the Buddy. I have a SH37on the CityCom and a SH29 on my Zuma. Even the 37 cannot hold two full face helmets, but I can get ALOT of stuff packed in it. The 29 is just to have a small trunk, as the Zuma is a toy-that does get ridden regularly. I just gave away the SYM branded GIVI that came with the CityCom. It was a bit larger than the 37. Wife HATED messing with a key every time she had to open it, but it was very nice quality. Had both keys and all the mounting hardware. It's on my old Buddy125 that I sold. I don't think it looks too large on a Buddy, and the new owner packs it full on a regular basis.
climbguy

Post by climbguy »

how does the SH33 attach to the bike? i know with the soft it is just one screw
sc00ter wrote:Being a typical American I will say bigger is better! The reason I got the SH33 is it looks "correct" on the Buddy. I have a SH37on the CityCom and a SH29 on my Zuma. Even the 37 cannot hold two full face helmets, but I can get ALOT of stuff packed in it. The 29 is just to have a small trunk, as the Zuma is a toy-that does get ridden regularly. I just gave away the SYM branded GIVI that came with the CityCom. It was a bit larger than the 37. Wife HATED messing with a key every time she had to open it, but it was very nice quality. Had both keys and all the mounting hardware. It's on my old Buddy125 that I sold. I don't think it looks too large on a Buddy, and the new owner packs it full on a regular basis.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

You mount a plate to the rack, then the trunk "clips" onto the plate. Trunk can be removed/installed-from/on the plate very easily. Very secure as long as the mounting plate is installed correct (plate will let everything flex if done wrong). The mounting plate installs with four screws. I think I had to get longer screws for the Buddy rack, but it's been so long ago I'm not sure. Hope that makes sense!
climbguy

Post by climbguy »

how sturdy are the clips? I had a Soft case, but it attachs to the mounting plate with just one screw which I don't think is very secure
sc00ter wrote:You mount a plate to the rack, then the trunk "clips" onto the plate. Trunk can be removed/installed-from/on the plate very easily. Very secure as long as the mounting plate is installed correct (plate will let everything flex if done wrong). The mounting plate installs with four screws. I think I had to get longer screws for the Buddy rack, but it's been so long ago I'm not sure. Hope that makes sense!
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

The bolt holds the box from moving from a large "foot" that goes into a mating hole in the base plate.
The box is quite secure.
I will rattle when you ride over bumpy surfaces. I repaired the rattle with self adhering molding slid over an inner lip to secure the upper shell to the lower shell a bit tighter.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

The bolt holds the box from moving from a large "foot" that goes into a mating hole in the base plate.
The box is quite secure.
I will rattle when you ride over bumpy surfaces. I repaired the rattle with self adhering molding slid over an inner lip to secure the upper shell to the lower shell a bit tighter.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

I cannot live with out a top case and bungee cords. R