170i Fork Upgrade

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GregsBuddy

170i Fork Upgrade

Post by GregsBuddy »

Yes, I've searched this subject but have not found a strong response or recommendation to replace the forks with an aftermarket upgrade.
The upgraded rear shock on my scoot is a real improvement.
Folks who have tried upgraded forks, please help me.
Are the upgraded forks a real improvement in ride and performance?
What brand do you suggest?
Thanks!
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I have no experience with fork swaps, but there are a few cheap mods that may help. One is to make spacers and place them on top of the fork springs for more preload.
Replacing your fork oil with a heavier variety may also help.
Last edited by wheelbender6 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
issue31

Rear

Post by issue31 »

what did you use for the rear? I may try it,if I can get a better ride. I weigh in at 273. Thanks issue31. Buddy 170.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I think the 170 and the 125/150 use the same front-end parts, so you could use the same NCY front shocks used in the BlackLack, they are supposed to be a big improvement over stock.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Syd wrote:I think the 170 and the 125/150 use the same front-end parts, so you could use the same NCY front shocks used in the BlackLack, they are supposed to be a big improvement over stock.
Beat me too it. NCY makes the forks. If I were to go that route, I would go ahead and upgrade the rear shock as well. NCY makes one and some other company does as well. The two upgrades aren't cheap though.(at least not to me)
http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_page ... ering/1288
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

I you really want to go all badass, upgrade the front brake. :)

http://www.scooterworks.com/ncy-brake-d ... M0DTNEtHzA
DeeDee

For $80.00 and a bit of your time.

Post by DeeDee »

This forsa 280mm rear shock is a quality replacement for stock. The nitrogen is sealed, so there is no adding more. You can adjust stiffness at the spring. You can drain the stock oil out of the front shocks and replace with slightly more of a heavier weight. This will improve your ride without $500 worth of parts.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Forsa-Aftermark ... 1a&vxp=mtr
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Thanks everyone for the responses.
I'm hoping to hear from someone who has made the change to NCY's with good experience.
The rear shock upgrade is the YSS P/N 1000-1060 from Scooterworks. Really helps the ride!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

GregsBuddy wrote:Thanks everyone for the responses.
I'm hoping to hear from someone who has made the change to NCY's with good experience.
The rear shock upgrade is the YSS P/N 1000-1060 from Scooterworks. Really helps the ride!
Ask someone with a Blackjack or Psycho. They have the 3 upgrades I mentioned.

Hey DeeDee, do you have experience with the Forza? I may have to get one of those.
DeeDee

Yes I do

Post by DeeDee »

I have that on my 125. I weigh about 210, and it is a big improvement. The bottom clevis is a bit wider than stock, so you will need to monkey with the nearby air box bolt. I had to tighten the spring adjustment to make it stiffer. I think it is a great shock for the money. These are $20.00 cheaper than the Forsa: http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-280mm-Single ... 6b&vxp=mtr

I've installed these on 5 different C3s with great results. Haven't used on a Buddy though.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

When changing out the rear shock, be sure to use a torque wrench and torque to the correct spec. You'll chew up the rubber bushing on the top end over time if you don't.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

DeeDee wrote:When changing out the rear shock, be sure to use a torque wrench and torque to the correct spec. You'll chew up the rubber bushing on the top end over time if you don't.
I can do that. Thanks.
Driller

Post by Driller »

Dee Dee. What did you have to do with the Air box bolt? Shorten it?
Were spacers/washers needed between the clevis and the engine case?
It looks like if the bolt were reversed with the head facing the shock clevis you would gain a couple of mm's room.
Do tell.... :roll:
"My name is Mike. I suffer from multiple bike disorder."
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I just removed the bolt and replaced it with a black zip tie. The bolt end was hitting the Forsa.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I've done the full ncy suspension upgrade, and the front brake (as well as the rear shoes).

If you can find them on sale, they really do make a difference! But the total package is @ 1/3 of the cost of the bike, so there is that.

I ride the heck out of mine so it was worth it for me. YMMV.